Solved

Possibly Looking for a PSU for my New GPU

Hi I was wondering if anyone knew a good power supply that could support my new
"EVGA GTX 760 Superclocked 2gb w/ ACX Cooler":
or if I could use my current PSU to support the it.

My current PSU is the Antec Basiq BP500U 500W

It is a 500w that has dual-rails with 18a on each rail

If I have to get a new PSU it would have to be:

- $130 or below.
- Minimum of 500W (personally i prefer around 630W) and @30a on a single +12v rail
- Trusted online support


My specs:

CPU:
Intel Pentium Dual-Core E6500 @ 2.93GHz (OC'd to 3.6 GHz)

Motherboard:
Biostar TForce P965 (Socket 775)

PSU:
Antec Basiq BP500U 500W

GPU:
1gb NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280

Operating System:
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1

RAM:
4.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 326MHz (Transcend Information)

HDD:
931GB Western Digital WDC WD1001FALS-00J7B1 ATA Device (SATA)

Optical Drive:
Emprex DVDRW IDE 16X ATA Device

Wireless Adapter:
TRENDnet N600 Wireless Dual Band PCIe Adapter


Sorry for the long question but I didn't know what to do.
Thanks.
Daniel :)
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about possibly psu gpu
  1. Yes it will run a 760.

    But I RECOMMEND an upgrade , to a single rail like you stated.

    GeForce GTX 760 - needs at least 30A on the 12v rail and a 500W PSU minimum

    But you will need one molex power connection to run it.

    That power supply only has one 6 pin.



    I would upgrade to this unit made by the best SEASONIC.

    44 AMPS ON THE 12V RAIL. ^ :D


    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
    Total: $49.99
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-10 19:13 EST-0500)
  2. Your GTX280 is an older and somewhat power hungry card. If you run ok with the basiq 500w psu now, then a GTX760 card will take even less.

    Go ahead and use it.
  3. SR-71 Blackbird said:
    Yes it will run a 760.

    But I RECOMMEND an upgrade , to a single rail like you stated.

    GeForce GTX 760 - needs at least 30A on the 12v rail and a 500W PSU minimum

    But you will need one molex power connection to run it.

    That power supply only has one 6 pin.



    I would upgrade to this unit made by the best SEASONIC.

    44 AMPS ON THE 12V RAIL. ^ :D


    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
    Total: $49.99
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-10 19:13 EST-0500)


    geofelt said:
    Your GTX280 is an older and somewhat power hungry card. If you run ok with the basiq 500w psu now, then a GTX760 card will take even less.

    Go ahead and use it.


    But I have two +12v rails with 18a each in the psu... Do you just add them together to make 36 amps? (I'm kinda new to this) the gpu requires a minimum 30 amps
  4. Best answer
    Yes.
  5. It is not as simple as adding the two 18a rails.
    Rails are an artificial UL safety feature. Most every modern psu has only one single power generating rail.
    The two rails just limit the maximum amps that can be delivered on each for safety reasons.

    Most psu's will include the maximum output amps or watts on their data plate.
    Here is the basiq data plate:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371004
    It does not have a direct max amps for 12v. It does show that the maximum watts for 3.3 and 5.0 v is 152w.
    If you assume that those two voltages are maxed out(very unlikely), then that leaves 348w available at least for +12v.
    That equates to 29a at least.
    The basiq includes only one 6 pin pcie connector. You made the GTX280 work with a molex to 8 pin adapter.
    The GTX760 only needs a single 6 pin connector so you will be even better off since you no longer need a 8pin power lead.
  6. geofelt said:
    Your GTX280 is an older and somewhat power hungry card. If you run ok with the basiq 500w psu now, then a GTX760 card will take even less.

    Go ahead and use it.


    SR-71 Blackbird said:
    Yes.


    Okay thanks for answering really fast. I'm going to unbox my new card and test it with my current power supply.
    Could something go wrong since it is a dual rail power supply?
  7. geofelt said:
    It is not as simple as adding the two 18a rails.
    Rails are an artificial UL safety feature. Most every modern psu has only one single power generating rail.
    The two rails just limit the maximum amps that can be delivered on each for safety reasons.

    Most psu's will include the maximum output amps or watts on their data plate.
    Here is the basiq data plate:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371004
    It does not have a direct max amps for 12v. It does show that the maximum watts for 3.3 and 5.0 v is 152w.
    If you assume that those two voltages are maxed out(very unlikely), then that leaves 348w available at least for +12v.
    That equates to 29a at least.
    The basiq includes only one 6 pin pcie connector. You made the GTX280 work with a molex to 8 pin adapter.
    The GTX760 only needs a single 6 pin connector so you will be even better off since you no longer need a 8pin power lead.


    So your saying it should be fine with its dual rails with @18a each?
  8. How many rails is not any issue I have ever heard of.
    If a psu is not strong enough, it will work harder and the fan will spin up.
    At higher output levels, the accuracy of the voltages may be impaired.
    With Antec quality, I would not be too worried. If there is a psu issue, I might expect to see some display artifacts first.
    I see no risk in trying it, particularly since it handles a GTX280 card already.
  9. geofelt said:
    How many rails is not any issue I have ever heard of.
    If a psu is not strong enough, it will work harder and the fan will spin up.
    At higher output levels, the accuracy of the voltages may be impaired.
    With Antec quality, I would not be too worried. If there is a psu issue, I might expect to see some display artifacts first.
    I see no risk in trying it, particularly since it handles a GTX280 card already.


    Alright thanks so much! I researched the 280 and found that it needed a 550 Watt or greater power supply that had a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 40 Amps or greater, while the 760 needed a 500 watt psu and 30 amps. I'm sure it'll work fine if it handled the 280 with higher requirements. I'm going to unbox it now and test it. Again, thanks.
Ask a new question

Read More

GPUs Power Supplies Support Components