Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Trying to clone Windows 7 from HDD to SSD (Please Help)

Last response: in Windows 7
Share
January 10, 2014 5:51:54 PM

I bought a new SSD (Samsung 840 PRO 128GB) and I need to clone my Windows 7 from my hard drive onto the SSD. I know that I should do a clean install but I don't have the installation DVD since my laptop is a branded computer and I did not get the disk when I bought it. My hard drive is 750GB or so and it has about 300GB of data. I can't clone the whole hard drive to the SSD, which is why I need to clone just the OS. I can't find how to do this anywhere, so can anyone help me?

I already tried to get the win7 iso file and put it on a usb and use that to clean install, but for some reason that doesn't work.

Any suggestions?

More about : clone windows hdd ssd

January 10, 2014 5:59:42 PM

For the Windows 7 ISO file not working on a USB, what part isn't working? I encountered a problem that frustrated me for hours when I first built my rig trying to install Windows 7 through a USB, and as it turns out it's that, for whatever reason, it doesn't work through a USB 3.0 slot. It only works through a USB 2.0 slot, so check to see if that's the issue first.
m
0
l
Related resources
January 10, 2014 6:34:30 PM

For the USB, when I tried to use the Windows USB Download tool, and selected the ISO, it kept saying "ISO invalid".

I looked up this issue and all the suggestions did not work for me whatsoever.
m
0
l
a c 537 $ Windows 7
January 10, 2014 6:36:42 PM

DasaHayat said:
For the USB, when I tried to use the Windows USB Download tool, and selected the ISO, it kept saying "ISO invalid".

I looked up this issue and all the suggestions did not work for me whatsoever.


Where did you get the ISO file?
m
0
l
January 10, 2014 6:41:02 PM

Yea I got my ISO from that same place, Deus. For some reason when I try to use the download tool for the USB, it keeps saying it is invalid...

I don't understand what's wrong as all the solutions on the internet don't work for me..
m
0
l
a c 537 $ Windows 7
January 10, 2014 6:43:04 PM

DasaHayat said:
Yea I got my ISO from that same place, Deus. For some reason when I try to use the download tool for the USB, it keeps saying it is invalid...

I don't understand what's wrong as all the solutions on the internet don't work for me..


Given a valid, full download from that site, using the MS USB-DVD tool...it should work

It has worked for me.
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 537 $ Windows 7
January 10, 2014 7:05:14 PM

DasaHayat said:
Here is a picture to show whats going on.

http://i.imgur.com/DQTWhlb.png


I'm suspecting a bad/incomplete download of that ISO.

I just downloaded that exact ISO from the same place, and ran the latest Windows ISO USB/DVD tool, and did NOT get an error on selecting that same ISO.
Click Next, and it proceeds as expected, to Step 2 of 4: Choose media type
Share
a c 537 $ Windows 7
January 10, 2014 7:06:49 PM

What is the file size?

My download is 3.09 GB (3,319,478,2722 bytes)
m
0
l
January 10, 2014 7:18:32 PM

USAFRet said:
What is the file size?

My download is 3.09 GB (3,319,478,2722 bytes)


As a matter of fact, my download size is 2.00GB exact.

I am downloading another ISO from the same place right now, and it is saying that the download is 3.1GB. I recall this when I downloaded it from before, but I also recall it jumping to an end when it was ~70% done with the download. I didn't think much of it, but do you think the download didn't work? And it is only 2.00GB in size. I did the download twice before and it did the same thing. I am doing it again and will see if it jumps again.
m
0
l
January 10, 2014 7:21:27 PM

That's so weird. Assuming the download completed properly and without interruption, there's no reason this shouldn't work. I'm a bit stumped on that.
m
0
l
a c 537 $ Windows 7
January 10, 2014 7:23:19 PM

DasaHayat said:
USAFRet said:
What is the file size?

My download is 3.09 GB (3,319,478,2722 bytes)


As a matter of fact, my download size is 2.00GB exact.

I am downloading another ISO from the same place right now, and it is saying that the download is 3.1GB. I recall this when I downloaded it from before, but I also recall it jumping to an end when it was ~70% done with the download. I didn't think much of it, but do you think the download didn't work? And it is only 2.00GB in size. I did the download twice before and it did the same thing. I am doing it again and will see if it jumps again.


2.00GB is an incorrect file size. Yes, the download did not work.
What are you downloading it on to? And what is the file system on that drive?
m
0
l
January 10, 2014 7:24:39 PM

I am assuming then that this is the problem: http://i.imgur.com/Lwo1ZfI.png

What do you mean by what I am downloading it to? Do you mean my hard drive? I am downloading it to my main C: Hard drive. As for the file system... I dont know. How can I check that?
m
0
l
January 10, 2014 7:32:57 PM

Alright, well I am downloading it again and I'll see if it works this time. It's at 2.1/3.1 GB right now, so I don't think it will skip this time. (hopefully).

As for that file system you were talking about, what exactly is that and how can I check it?
m
0
l
a c 537 $ Windows 7
January 10, 2014 7:36:01 PM

DasaHayat said:
Alright, well I am downloading it again and I'll see if it works this time. It's at 2.1/3.1 GB right now, so I don't think it will skip this time. (hopefully).

As for that file system you were talking about, what exactly is that and how can I check it?


If you're downloading to your regular C drive in Windows 7, no worries. Older file systems limited a file size to 2GB.
m
0
l
January 10, 2014 7:40:15 PM

File system refers to the file hierarchy, or basically the system by which files are organized. OS X (Macs) use HFS+, modern versions of Windows use NTFS, and older versions of Windows used FAT32. FAT32 is currently compatible OS X and modern versions of Windows, so it's possible you're either using FAT32 or NTFS. I don't personally know the technical differences or how it might affect you, but USAFRet probably does.

A quick way to find out which you have is to click on Start > Computer and then click once (so you highlight) your C: drive. It'll then tell you which you have at the bottom of the window.
m
0
l
January 10, 2014 7:45:54 PM

I checked my C drive, and it says it is NTFS. So is this fine? Does this really mean anything?
m
0
l
January 10, 2014 7:49:06 PM

Yea it should be fine. Who knows why your download messed up the first time. It should be fine this time around though, and then you'll be able to enjoy yourself with your brand new SSD.
m
0
l
a c 537 $ Windows 7
January 10, 2014 7:49:53 PM

DasaHayat said:
I checked my C drive, and it says it is NTFS. So is this fine? Does this really mean anything?


Then it should NOT have cut off at 2.00GB

How is that current download doing?
m
0
l
January 10, 2014 7:52:58 PM

Well my current download is at 2.9/3.1 GB. Should be done in less then 5 mins, and the fact that is passed 2.0GB hopefully means it isn't going to cut off again. I'll try using the download tool then to get it on my usb.
m
0
l
a c 537 $ Windows 7
January 10, 2014 8:04:29 PM

DasaHayat said:
Well my current download is at 2.9/3.1 GB. Should be done in less then 5 mins, and the fact that is passed 2.0GB hopefully means it isn't going to cut off again. I'll try using the download tool then to get it on my usb.


The image I linked above is the actual working file size for that ISO. It should work.
m
0
l
January 10, 2014 8:06:29 PM

Well it has finished downloading at 3.09GB, and when I put it into the download tool, it accepted it! Now its currently setting up my usb drive. I just want to say Thank you guys so both so much with all you help, I certainly could not have done this without you guys! You guys legit are rocking my world right now. :D 

Just want to make sure here, to install the windows on my ssd:
-disconnect hdd and connect ssd
-install windows 7 on the new ssd
-let it install and update, shut it down, then reconnect hdd in secondary slot

and then it should be finished? is there anything else I am supposed to do?

Also when I get windows in my ssd, and then reconnect my hdd later, do I have to delete the windows 7 on the old hdd? or can i just leave it there as like a back up boot if my ssd ever goes wrong. Will leaving it there mess with the ssd boot?

Thanks again you guys. :D 
m
0
l
a c 537 $ Windows 7
January 10, 2014 8:15:13 PM

DasaHayat said:
Well it has finished downloading at 3.09GB, and when I put it into the download tool, it accepted it! Now its currently setting up my usb drive. I just want to say Thank you guys so both so much with all you help, I certainly could not have done this without you guys! You guys legit are rocking my world right now. :D 

Just want to make sure here, to install the windows on my ssd:
-disconnect hdd and connect ssd
-install windows 7 on the new ssd
-let it install and update, shut it down, then reconnect hdd in secondary slot

and then it should be finished? is there anything else I am supposed to do?

Also when I get windows in my ssd, and then reconnect my hdd later, do I have to delete the windows 7 on the old hdd? or can i just leave it there as like a back up boot if my ssd ever goes wrong. Will leaving it there mess with the ssd boot?

Thanks again you guys. :D 


After everything is installed, I would blow away the old install on the old disk, and create a new 'image' of the new SSD install. CloneZilla, DriveImageXML, or similar. Save that elsewhere for future use, if necessary.
m
0
l
January 10, 2014 8:19:07 PM

Alright, that's cool.

One last question, when i connect the ssd and usb for the first time, in the bios I select the usb as the first boot and from that I install to the ssd, right?
m
0
l
January 10, 2014 8:22:19 PM

While I'm at it, I have a question for USAFRet. I'm planning to do something similar eventually, probably over the summer. What's the best way to wipe the OS on an old disk? The only way I can think of is to erase the partition using the Windows install.

UPDATE: Also, would I need another activation key separate from the one I used for my initial install of Windows 7 onto my current HDD? Probably not, right, because the OS binds itself to the motherboard it's installed to. Am I correct in thinking this?
m
0
l
a c 537 $ Windows 7
January 11, 2014 4:41:09 AM

DasaHayat said:
Alright, that's cool.

One last question, when i connect the ssd and usb for the first time, in the bios I select the usb as the first boot and from that I install to the ssd, right?


That is correct. And after the install, SSD goes first.
m
0
l
a c 537 $ Windows 7
January 11, 2014 4:43:51 AM

Deus Gladiorum said:
While I'm at it, I have a question for USAFRet. I'm planning to do something similar eventually, probably over the summer. What's the best way to wipe the OS on an old disk? The only way I can think of is to erase the partition using the Windows install.

UPDATE: Also, would I need another activation key separate from the one I used for my initial install of Windows 7 onto my current HDD? Probably not, right, because the OS binds itself to the motherboard it's installed to. Am I correct in thinking this?


If all you're doing is changing drives, you do not need a new license.

The best way to remove stuff from the old would be through Disk Management. Remember....that old drive won't be connected when you do the install on the SSD.
m
0
l
!