Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Pentium G3220 vs. i3 4330 for HTPC

Last response: in CPUs
Share
January 10, 2014 9:14:16 PM

So I'm building a HTPC and wondering which CPU would be better for my needs. Recording from a HD homerun prime, streaming to media center extenders, etc. 3 tuners now, mabye 3 more to be added. Also, streaming from NAS, playing Bluray, probably NO gaming.

Would the better integrated graphics and 20% higher cl9ck speed be worth the price? Going to Microcenter tomorrow, can get the Pentium for $60 and the i3 for $130.

Thoughts? Opinions?
a b à CPUs
January 10, 2014 9:51:04 PM

I'd still go with the I3 4330 for sure...especially for HD video and streaming...also windows will be much snappier and responsive.
this is preference though as your experience won't be THAT much better with the I3.
m
0
l
January 10, 2014 10:32:25 PM

Yeah, I'm kinda leaning toward the i3 too, just cuz i know i wont have to upgrade. Actually, its the i3-4340 for $130 with HD4600. Should b more than enough for an HTPC.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 88 à CPUs
January 11, 2014 8:35:14 AM

jcamel24 said:
Yeah, I'm kinda leaning toward the i3 too, just cuz i know i wont have to upgrade. Actually, its the i3-4340 for $130 with HD4600. Should b more than enough for an HTPC.


I would wait to see what amd kaveri has to offer the chips due in only 4 days away

i know there top end is cpu has a good gpu close to 7750 graphics card if you wait a bit after the k version releases they will most likely release 65w versions the diffrence between the old apu and this apu new apu is cgn graphics which are much better and should blow intels out of the water the a10 series is very close to a i3 in performance

m
0
l
a c 471 à CPUs
January 11, 2014 10:35:36 AM

beyondlogic said:

i know there top end is cpu has a good gpu close to 7750 graphics card if you wait a bit after the k version releases they will most likely release 65w versions the diffrence between the old apu and this apu new apu is cgn graphics which are much better and should blow intels out of the water the a10 series is very close to a i3 in performance



The new integrated graphics core is not going to be anywhere near a Radeon HD 7750. At best it would only be as good as the Radoen HD 6670 DDR5 desktop graphics card.

However, the OP stated, the he will probably not be playing games and the Intel HD 4400 / HD 4600 is more than capable of playing 4k Ultra HD videos. However, it's always good to just wait a few of days just to find out what Kaveri brings to the table.
m
0
l
January 11, 2014 11:09:34 AM

Yeah, I would wait, but I don't live near Microcenter. Just going to be near one today, so I don't have time to wait. I would not pay $160 for a 4340 online, but for $130, it's the same price I'd pay for a 4130 at newegg, etc.

Unless the G3220 would be enough processor to record multiple shows via Windows Media Center. This is the only thing I am concerned with, and has me leaning toward the i3.

EDIT: Just noticed the 4130 is only $100. Got a couple hours before I get there. Thinking about going with this one, as it's kinda in the middle. Seems like a good compromise.
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 88 à CPUs
January 11, 2014 12:08:30 PM

jcamel24 said:
Yeah, I would wait, but I don't live near Microcenter. Just going to be near one today, so I don't have time to wait. I would not pay $160 for a 4340 online, but for $130, it's the same price I'd pay for a 4130 at newegg, etc.

Unless the G3220 would be enough processor to record multiple shows via Windows Media Center. This is the only thing I am concerned with, and has me leaning toward the i3.

EDIT: Just noticed the 4130 is only $100. Got a couple hours before I get there. Thinking about going with this one, as it's kinda in the middle. Seems like a good compromise.


4130 is best option in that case
Share
January 16, 2014 8:01:02 AM

Just in case anyone else is out there looking for information on HTPC builds, here is my final setup:

CPU Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core (Purchased) $99.99
Motherboard Asus B85M-E/CSM Micro ATX LGA1150 (Purchased) $78.30
Memory Patriot Signature 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 (Purchased) $0.00
Storage Corsair Force Series 3 90GB 2.5" SSD (Purchased) $0.00
Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB 3.5" 5900RPM (Purchased) $139.49
Wireless Network Adapter Rosewill RNX-N250PC2 802.11b/g/n PCI (Purchased) $10.99
Case Silverstone ML03B HTPC (Purchased) $69.98
Power Supply Corsair 430W ATX12V (Purchased) $19.99
Optical Drive LG WH12LS38 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer (Purchased) $0.00
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) (Purchased) $89.99

The parts that don't have a price are ones I already owned.
m
0
l
March 11, 2014 9:04:54 AM

jcamel24 said:
Just in case anyone else is out there looking for information on HTPC builds, here is my final setup:

CPU Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core (Purchased) $99.99
Motherboard Asus B85M-E/CSM Micro ATX LGA1150 (Purchased) $78.30
Memory Patriot Signature 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 (Purchased) $0.00
Storage Corsair Force Series 3 90GB 2.5" SSD (Purchased) $0.00
Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB 3.5" 5900RPM (Purchased) $139.49
Wireless Network Adapter Rosewill RNX-N250PC2 802.11b/g/n PCI (Purchased) $10.99
Case Silverstone ML03B HTPC (Purchased) $69.98
Power Supply Corsair 430W ATX12V (Purchased) $19.99
Optical Drive LG WH12LS38 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer (Purchased) $0.00
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) (Purchased) $89.99

The parts that don't have a price are ones I already owned.


How is it working? Do you think the i3 is overkill?

m
0
l
March 21, 2014 7:57:58 AM

How is it? Blu Ray quality and HD?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
April 30, 2014 5:24:17 AM

NIGA NIGA NIGA YU ARE STUPID NIGA MADA FAKA FUCK U MADA FAKA

m
0
l
a b à CPUs
April 30, 2014 5:24:52 AM

THIS IS THE BEST REPLY MADA FAKA U FADA FACKIING FACK
m
0
l
!