Solved

New build - USB/VGA won't work

This is my first build so in the interest of not getting in over my head, I purchased a DIY combo from Newegg. I ran through all of the items to make sure they would be compatible and they seemed to be.

They are:
AMD A8-6600K Richland 3.9GHz
Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 8GB DDR
Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive
SAMSUNG DVD Burner
GIGABYTE GA-F2A55M-HD2 FM2 AMD A55 (Hudson D2) HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
TOPOWER ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 400W Power Supply

The PSU didn't work (which seems to be a common complaint on that case) so I replaced it with this one:
Antec 450W ATX 12V Power Supply

I got everything connected carefully and mounted in the case. When I plug it in and turn it on, the CPU fan and the case fan both turn on. The lights on the front of the case also turn on. However, the monitor, mouse, and keyboard won't turn on. The monitor sits in standby mode. I tried plugging the USBs into the front and they still didn't work.

I went through the big troubleshooting guide on the forum. I remounted the motherboard, tried booting it up with one RAM instead of both (to no avail), I checked that there was nothing between the GPU and the socket. I unplugged everything from the motherboard and tried again. Both the 24-pin and the 8-pin power connectors are plugged in. The system speaker is connected but I'm not getting any kind of beeps. I'm at a loss.

Here's a picture for reference (apologies for the poor quality):


Help?
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about build usb vga work
  1. What ports using for connecting the monitor?
    What's the board revision (bottom left corner)?
  2. alexoiu said:
    What ports using for connecting the monitor?
    What's the board revision (bottom left corner)?


    The monitor is connected to the D sub port.
    The revision is 1.2.
  3. Check the first 4 digits after SN in the board's serial number (year and week).
    Let's see if the board was manufactured after April 2013 (for supporting the CPU).
  4. alexoiu said:
    Check the first 4 digits after SN in the board's serial number (year and week).
    Let's see if the board was manufactured after April 2013 (for supporting the CPU).


    The SN reads SN134440048503.
  5. Then the CPU is supported.
    If starting the board with only CPU and CPU fan installed, are you getting any beeps?
  6. alexoiu said:
    Then the CPU is supported.
    If starting the board with only CPU and CPU fan installed, are you getting any beeps?


    I just started the board with only the CPU and CPU fan installed. No beeps.

    I appreciate you trying to help btw. :)
  7. Best answer
    No problem.
    Try testing the board out of the case, for ruling out a short. Reseat the CPU and the CPU fan. With the board on its cardbox start it with only CPU and CPU fan installed. If still no beeps, then it's either the board or the CPU. I'd RMA them both.
  8. alexoiu said:
    No problem.
    Try testing the board out of the case, for ruling out a short. Reseat the CPU and the CPU fan. With the board on its cardbox start it with only CPU and CPU fan installed. If still no beeps, then it's either the board or the CPU. I'd RMA them both.


    Just tried it and no beeps. I guess I'll have to RMA them both? I know that sometimes parts just don't work out of the box, but is there anything I can do in the future to prevent this from happening again when I get the replacements?
  9. Assuming that the case speaker does work and is correctly connected, then yes, RMA-ing the board and CPU seems to be the option, in my opinion.
    When getting the replacements, test the board out of the case. Install the CPU, then the CPU fan, connect the 24 and 8 pin power cables, the case spaker and start the board.
    Check if the CPU fan is spinning anf if getting the beeps.
  10. alexoiu said:
    Assuming that the case speaker does work and is correctly connected, then yes, RMA-ing the board and CPU seems to be the option, in my opinion.
    When getting the replacements, test the board out of the case. Install the CPU, then the CPU fan, connect the 24 and 8 pin power cables, the case spaker and start the board.
    Check if the CPU fan is spinning anf if getting the beeps.


    I've RMA'd both of them and will definitely do that when the replacements get here. Thanks a lot.
  11. You're welcome. Please post back the result.
Ask a new question

Read More

Systems