delete this please

delete delete delete
9 answers Last reply
More about cry generate heat bf4
  1. It could be that tthere is more processing being done in Far Cry 3 and the GPU is needing more voltage to keep its clock stable. I would take the the GPU usage with a pinch of salt. I've seen some weird readouts in the past. Grid 2 makes my HD 7870 run at 125% according to MSI afterburner. lol
  2. David Dewis said:
    It could be that tthere is more processing being done in Far Cry 3 and the GPU is needing more voltage to keep its clock stable. I would take the the GPU usage with a pinch of salt. I've seen some weird readouts in the past. Grid 2 makes my HD 7870 run at 125% according to MSI afterburner. lol


    Well as I said, there cant be more processing done as they are both at the same usage and clock speeds
  3. Far Cry 3 is quite demanding and it looks AMAZING. PostFX setting can really screw up your FPS and temps since its kinda demanding. And the MSAA option aswell. You dont have to worry about anything.
  4. RanriZedd said:
    Far Cry 3 is quite demanding and it looks AMAZING. PostFX setting can really screw up your FPS and temps since its kinda demanding. And the MSAA option aswell. You dont have to worry about anything.


    Im not saying im worried, im just asking how can FC3 produce more heat than BF4 if they're both taxing the GPU the same amount?
  5. Anonymous said:
    David Dewis said:
    It could be that tthere is more processing being done in Far Cry 3 and the GPU is needing more voltage to keep its clock stable. I would take the the GPU usage with a pinch of salt. I've seen some weird readouts in the past. Grid 2 makes my HD 7870 run at 125% according to MSI afterburner. lol


    Well as I said, there cant be more processing done as they are both at the same usage and clock speeds


    Clock speed has nothing to do with usage. My CPU is running always running at 4.7Ghz but it very rarely uses it all. As i said, the Usage monitor may be giving odd results and depending on how well the game is optimized , Far Cry 3 may need more power to run stable. More power means more heat.
  6. And lets not forget the gpu consists of many different parts that do different things and monitoring softwares are not monitoring every part (it's most likely just keeping an eye on the dispatchers or something) so a 100% load isn't necessarily the same for different games/applications...
  7. Kari said:
    And lets not forget the gpu consists of many different parts that do different things and monitoring softwares are not monitoring every part (it's most likely just keeping an eye on the dispatchers or something) so a 100% load isn't necessarily the same for different games/applications...


    Good point. Didn't think of that. GPU RAM usage is different on each Game at least.
  8. David Dewis said:
    Kari said:
    And lets not forget the gpu consists of many different parts that do different things and monitoring softwares are not monitoring every part (it's most likely just keeping an eye on the dispatchers or something) so a 100% load isn't necessarily the same for different games/applications...


    Good point. Didn't think of that. GPU RAM usage is different on each Game at least.


    Oh yes, good point. On Asus GPU Tweak the GPU Usage can be 99% but VRAM usage is different for different games. Thanks
  9. Anonymous said:
    David Dewis said:
    Kari said:
    And lets not forget the gpu consists of many different parts that do different things and monitoring softwares are not monitoring every part (it's most likely just keeping an eye on the dispatchers or something) so a 100% load isn't necessarily the same for different games/applications...


    Good point. Didn't think of that. GPU RAM usage is different on each Game at least.


    Oh yes, good point. On Asus GPU Tweak the GPU Usage can be 99% but VRAM usage is different for different games. Thanks


    well i was not really thinking about the vram as it doesn't use much power, rather all the different parts on the chip itself like some parts do the geometry, others do textures and post processing effects like AA/AF and the like (TMUs, Shaders, ROPS and what have you..) If a game manages to put quite even load on all of the parts then that would result in high power consumption as well (for that particular card anyways, the ratios between those rops/shaders and stuff tend to vary a little between different models as I'm sure you've noticed if you check the specs for different cards)

    edit
    The load% could just be the part of clock cycles when the gpu is doing at least something vs waiting for the cpu to give it more stuff to chew, so a 100% load would just mean the gpu is doing something on every clock cycle rather than every part of the gpu to be fully loaded constantly...
Ask a new question

Read More

GPUs Heat Graphics Cards