Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Western Digital Green or Black HDD?

Last response: in Storage
Share
January 11, 2014 10:58:28 AM

I heard the WD has the best HDD as of now so I'm planning to get either Green or Black 4TB HDD.
I know that the black one is faster, but is it louder?

which one is better overall in performances and loudness? I want mine to be very quiet but fast also.
a c 864 G Storage
January 11, 2014 11:01:41 AM

andrewkim9711 said:
I heard the WD has the best HDD as of now so I'm planning to get either Green or Black 4TB HDD.
I know that the black one is faster, but is it louder?

which one is better overall in performances and loudness? I want mine to be very quiet but fast also.


It all depends on what the use will be? For the primary drive? Not the Green.
Get the one in the middle...the Blue.
m
0
l
January 11, 2014 11:05:07 AM

If the sound of a HDD is a major issue then perhaps a SSD would be better......
m
0
l
Related resources
January 11, 2014 11:06:05 AM

USAFRet said:
andrewkim9711 said:
I heard the WD has the best HDD as of now so I'm planning to get either Green or Black 4TB HDD.
I know that the black one is faster, but is it louder?

which one is better overall in performances and loudness? I want mine to be very quiet but fast also.


It all depends on what the use will be? For the primary drive? Not the Green.
Get the one in the middle...the Blue.


I'll be using the Samsung 840 Pro 256GB for my primary drive where I'll install the OS into it and download programs and some games.
for the HDD, i'm going to download music, videos and some low end games and video editing project files.

also, am i only allowed to download and open up programs like games from the primary drive or am i allowed to do that in any other drives also? I don't know about this because I never downloaded programs onto my D: drive and instead on my C: drive.
m
0
l
January 11, 2014 11:07:32 AM

endeavour37a said:
If the sound of a HDD is a major issue then perhaps a SSD would be better......


I'm not sure..I have a HDD on my computer that my brother built a while ago and i don't hear any sounds coming from it, but i heard that WD black makes some noise enough to bother the users so i thought it wouldn't be a good choice. is the sound that loud?
m
0
l
a b G Storage
January 11, 2014 11:13:30 AM

I have all three and I do not notice that much of a difference as it relates to noise. If anything your case fans would drown the noise if any!
m
0
l
January 11, 2014 11:14:58 AM

andrewkim9711 said:
endeavour37a said:
If the sound of a HDD is a major issue then perhaps a SSD would be better......


I'm not sure..I have a HDD on my computer that my brother built a while ago and i don't hear any sounds coming from it, but i heard that WD black makes some noise enough to bother the users so i thought it wouldn't be a good choice. is the sound that loud?


No, it should not really be an issue mounted in a case, the fans would be much louder than a HDD...

m
0
l

Best solution

a c 864 G Storage
January 11, 2014 11:15:32 AM

andrewkim9711 said:
USAFRet said:
andrewkim9711 said:
I heard the WD has the best HDD as of now so I'm planning to get either Green or Black 4TB HDD.
I know that the black one is faster, but is it louder?

which one is better overall in performances and loudness? I want mine to be very quiet but fast also.


It all depends on what the use will be? For the primary drive? Not the Green.
Get the one in the middle...the Blue.


I'll be using the Samsung 840 Pro 256GB for my primary drive where I'll install the OS into it and download programs and some games.
for the HDD, i'm going to download music, videos and some low end games and video editing project files.

also, am i only allowed to download and open up programs like games from the primary drive or am i allowed to do that in any other drives also? I don't know about this because I never downloaded programs onto my D: drive and instead on my C: drive.


For that use, I'd get the WD Blue. If only for static files (music, etc) maybe the Green if and only if it were significantly cheaper. The Green purports to 'save' energy' (Green, right?) by adjusting the rotation speed as needed, or even spinning all the way down. Which of course impacts running programs.

As for downloading and running things off a secondary drive? No problem whatsoever. Windows does not care, as long as the program is actually installed there with the installer.

See this tutorial for moving things elsewhere: http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1834397/ssd-redirect...
Share
January 11, 2014 11:21:40 AM

USAFRet said:
andrewkim9711 said:
USAFRet said:
andrewkim9711 said:
I heard the WD has the best HDD as of now so I'm planning to get either Green or Black 4TB HDD.
I know that the black one is faster, but is it louder?

which one is better overall in performances and loudness? I want mine to be very quiet but fast also.


It all depends on what the use will be? For the primary drive? Not the Green.
Get the one in the middle...the Blue.


I'll be using the Samsung 840 Pro 256GB for my primary drive where I'll install the OS into it and download programs and some games.
for the HDD, i'm going to download music, videos and some low end games and video editing project files.

also, am i only allowed to download and open up programs like games from the primary drive or am i allowed to do that in any other drives also? I don't know about this because I never downloaded programs onto my D: drive and instead on my C: drive.


For that use, I'd get the WD Blue. If only for static files (music, etc) maybe the Green if and only if it were significantly cheaper. The Green purports to 'save' energy' (Green, right?) by adjusting the rotation speed as needed, or even spinning all the way down. Which of course impacts running programs.

As for downloading and running things off a secondary drive? No problem whatsoever. Windows does not care, as long as the program is actually installed there with the installer.

See this tutorial for moving things elsewhere: http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1834397/ssd-redirect...


alright I think i'm going to get the Blue 4TB one. thanks so much for your help!
m
0
l
!