Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

LP4 to 8 pin adapter question

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 11, 2014 11:08:18 AM

im thinking of upgrading my graphics card. the one i want takes a 6 pin and an 8 pin power connector. i am fine for the 6 pin as i already have one however i would need to buy and lp4 to 8 pin adapter such as this: http://puu.sh/6hpmg.jpg i was just wondering, for the adapter to work do both of the lp4 slots on it have to be plugged into power or do i only need to plug in one?


thanks
a c 157 ) Power supply
January 11, 2014 11:11:48 AM

Yes, both need to see +12V. But more importantly is the fact that any PSU that doesn't have the necessary PCI aux connectors may be too small for that class of card. What is the make/model of your PSU and the card you want to power?
m
0
l
January 11, 2014 11:15:03 AM

clutchc said:
Yes, both need to see +12V. But more importantly is the fact that any PSU that doesn't have the necessary PCI aux connectors may be too small for that class of card. What is the make/model of your PSU and the card you want to power?


The GPU i want is a GTX 770. im not sure of the make of my PSU as i bought it prebuilt but i do know its 750 W and modular
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 157 ) Power supply
January 11, 2014 11:19:05 AM

It doesn't sound like a true 750W unit if it only had 1 6/8 pin connector. Did you get the remaining modular cables with the PSU when you bought the pre-built PC?

Open the side of the PC and see if you can read the nameplate on the PSU. The GTX 770 is a 230W card maxed out. That's 19.2 amps on the +12V rail. If the PSU can't take the load, it will cause shut downs at the least and burnouts at the worse.
m
0
l
January 11, 2014 11:41:11 AM

clutchc said:
It doesn't sound like a true 750W unit if it only had 1 6/8 pin connector. Did you get the remaining modular cables with the PSU when you bought the pre-built PC?

Open the side of the PC and see if you can read the nameplate on the PSU. The GTX 770 is a 230W card maxed out. That's 19.2 amps on the +12V rail. If the PSU can't take the load, it will cause shut downs at the least and burnouts at the worse.


yes it has extra cables. there's a few lp4 cables and some flat ones that i dont know the name of. the pc only has a gtx 650 in it so could that be why it only has one connector in it? I think it is a 750 W as it says it on the side as the output power along with the voltages etc. i dont think ill be able to see the make without taking it out of the pc unfortunately as when i took the side off all i could see was the voltage and power info etc.

let me know if you want pictures of it or anything as i can provide them if you need.
m
0
l
a c 157 ) Power supply
January 11, 2014 12:09:38 PM

First, are any of the extra cables the PCIe aux 6/8 pin cables? A 'real' 750W PSU should have more than a single 6/8 pin cable for a card.
If you can post a pic of the PSU's nameplate that would help. But it sounds like it might be a top mount PSU with the nameplate facing the wrong way.
m
0
l
January 11, 2014 12:11:10 PM

clutchc said:
First, are any of the extra cables the PCIe aux 6/8 pin cables? A 'real' 750W PSU should have more than a single 6/8 pin cable for a card.
If you can post a pic of the PSU's nameplate that would help. But it sounds like it might be a top mount PSU with the nameplate facing the wrong way.


yes it is top mounted
m
0
l
January 11, 2014 12:31:03 PM

clutchc said:
First, are any of the extra cables the PCIe aux 6/8 pin cables? A 'real' 750W PSU should have more than a single 6/8 pin cable for a card.
If you can post a pic of the PSU's nameplate that would help. But it sounds like it might be a top mount PSU with the nameplate facing the wrong way.


from what i can see i dont think there are any extra PCIe aux cables theres only the one 6 pin which i think is because of the GPU that came with it
m
0
l
a c 157 ) Power supply
January 11, 2014 12:36:33 PM

Look at the jack that the single PCIe cable plugs into on the PSU. Is it a different color than the other jacks? If it is, is their another jack of that same color?
m
0
l
January 11, 2014 12:55:04 PM

clutchc said:
Look at the jack that the single PCIe cable plugs into on the PSU. Is it a different color than the other jacks? If it is, is their another jack of that same color?


it is a different colour yes. i took some pictures if its any help: ( i didn't know if you meant the actual color of the cable or the end bit hence why the picture of the motherboard cable is included)

Heres the GPU conector (6 pin):









Heres another cable of the same color that is plugged into the motherboard but is the same color if that means anything? (i did change the motherboard so all of these cables were plugged in by me)







finally heres the PSU if its of any use to you? (the best pic i could get seen as its top mounted)
m
0
l
January 12, 2014 11:56:20 AM

clutchc said:
Look at the jack that the single PCIe cable plugs into on the PSU. Is it a different color than the other jacks? If it is, is their another jack of that same color?


so would buying an adapter work?
m
0
l
a c 157 ) Power supply
January 12, 2014 12:52:55 PM

If I'm reading it correctly in that dark pic, it appears to have 2 x +12V rails for a total of 44A. That would put the PSU in the 600W - 650W class depending on its efficiency rating. Yes, you can probably get by with using the Molex (LP4) to PCIe adapters to power the other header on the card.
m
0
l
January 12, 2014 2:08:45 PM

clutchc said:
If I'm reading it correctly in that dark pic, it appears to have 2 x +12V rails for a total of 44A. That would put the PSU in the 600W - 650W class depending on its efficiency rating. Yes, you can probably get by with using the Molex (LP4) to PCIe adapters to power the other header on the card.


is this one any better? obviously i dont really want to buy a new PSU so if i can use the adapter ill probably just go for that. also if like you say it is 600-650 W then why does it say 750 W on the side? (just out of interest)
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
January 12, 2014 2:57:52 PM

based on the barcode it is a Tesla 750W psu, costs £20.... Now you really need to think twice if you want to use it to power a card that costs more than 10 times as much :/ 
http://www.comwales.co.uk/store/750-Watt-TESLA-PSU-Reta...

edit and it really has just one 6pin pcie connector...
m
0
l
January 12, 2014 3:15:00 PM

Kari said:
based on the barcode it is a Tesla 750W psu, costs £20.... Now you really need to think twice if you want to use it to power a card that costs more than 10 times as much :/ 
http://www.comwales.co.uk/store/750-Watt-TESLA-PSU-Reta...

edit and it really has just one 6pin pcie connector...


well i didnt really want to have to change the PSU as its annoying to do and im already going to be paying out alot for the GPU. is there anything you could recommend thats not ridiculously expensive? would i not get away with using an adapter like clutchc said?
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
January 12, 2014 3:47:01 PM

capsam500 said:

well i didnt really want to have to change the PSU as its annoying to do and im already going to be paying out alot for the GPU. is there anything you could recommend thats not ridiculously expensive? would i not get away with using an adapter like clutchc said?

I googled for some reviews of the psu but couldn't find any... The problem with those cheap and cheerfull psus is that they can go up in flames when loaded even moderately and might take other components with them. So it might work with an adapter or it might burn your house down. :/ 

You could get a decent psu for something like £60-70, the Corsair Builder Series offers good value for the money, around 600 watts should be quite enough.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
January 12, 2014 5:05:17 PM

capsam500 said:
Would this be sufficient? http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B009RMP44O/ref=mp_s_a_1...

yeah, that'll work great
Share
a b ) Power supply
January 15, 2014 2:13:51 PM

capsam500 said:

Got myself a new PSU :-D ended up going for this one: http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/g7-780w-atx-pc-power-supply-n...
seems like it should do the job fine

https://www.google.fi/search?safe=off&q=g7+power+extrem...
"Maplin are known for their ridiculously high prices."
also no reviews anywhere, no 80+ certified, claims almost 800W and only 2 pcie plugs, no info who's the OEM, etc
So you've just basically replaced your no brand El Cheapo psu with another one (albeit at a high price)...

You really like to live dangerously, dont ya?

m
0
l
January 15, 2014 2:50:39 PM

Kari said:
capsam500 said:

Got myself a new PSU :-D ended up going for this one: http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/g7-780w-atx-pc-power-supply-n...
seems like it should do the job fine

https://www.google.fi/search?safe=off&q=g7+power+extrem...
"Maplin are known for their ridiculously high prices."
also no reviews anywhere, no 80+ certified, claims almost 800W and only 2 pcie plugs, no info who's the OEM, etc
So you've just basically replaced your no brand El Cheapo psu with another one (albeit at a high price)...

You really like to live dangerously, dont ya?



well i spoke to someone from maplin and asked if it would be fine with a 770 and they said it would be fine
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
January 15, 2014 2:52:44 PM

capsam500 said:

well i spoke to someone from maplin and asked if it would be fine with a 770 and they said it would be fine

I believe that.
m
0
l
January 15, 2014 2:58:24 PM

Kari said:
capsam500 said:

well i spoke to someone from maplin and asked if it would be fine with a 770 and they said it would be fine

I believe that.


i dont think theyre gonna give false information otherwise i'd just take it back and they'd have lost a sale
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
January 15, 2014 3:23:05 PM

capsam500 said:

i dont think theyre gonna give false information otherwise i'd just take it back and they'd have lost a sale

well, all the low quality pushers are playing with the odds, some units get so little usage they last till the warranty is over and some blow up, but if they can make more profit selling junk they dont really care.

I don't like to play that game.

m
0
l
January 15, 2014 3:26:46 PM

Kari said:
capsam500 said:

i dont think theyre gonna give false information otherwise i'd just take it back and they'd have lost a sale

well, all the low quality pushers are playing with the odds, some units get so little usage they last till the warranty is over and some blow up, but if they can make more profit selling junk they dont really care.

I don't like to play that game.



tbh i cant see the 770 ever needing to use the full wattage it uses as it rarely will get maxed out out so i think it'll be fine
m
0
l
!