Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

why is this case so cheap? | 650 ti boost or 660 2G

Last response: in Components
Share
January 11, 2014 1:27:19 PM

hey guys! me again with a little question. im building my first pc and am now looking for a cheap case. I came across this one and found it really weird that it was so cheap since I thought it looked pretty good.

Aerocool V3X Black Edition Midi-Tower - Black

also little side note: gtx650 ti boost or gtx660 2G ?
January 11, 2014 1:32:10 PM

Gtx660 is better than the 650ti boost, why the case is cheap is up to the manufactor to decide hehe
m
0
l
January 11, 2014 1:35:07 PM

The case is so cheap because it is really small. The GTX 660 is a better card but not a very significant increase (5 fps).
m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

January 11, 2014 1:36:33 PM

The case has an older design including a smaller rear fan(does not remove heat as well) and does not look like it has room for any longer video cards.

The last part would be the power supply being on the top. The bottom is generally better since the power supply does not have to deal with as much heat.

This is not to say the case would not work, Zalman also has some cheap cases of a similar design(may be worth looking at).

the 660 is slightly better than the 650 ti boost(overall the difference is 10% and under so it is not a huge jump). Both cards may have some issues with lots of eye candy as the memory controller can not access all memory evenly when over 1.5 gigabytes is in use.

The Nvidia drivers do a good job of avoiding this issue(by using 1.5 gigabytes of memory or less as much as it can), but selling the cards as 1.5 gigabytes may have been a better option.
Share
January 11, 2014 1:38:56 PM

It just is what it is. Only place I found the case had it up for ~$100. I'm pretty sure there are cases that are better for cheaper, though.

Also, I'd go with the 660, because it's better.
m
0
l
January 11, 2014 1:40:58 PM

If Radeon R9 270 is cheaper than GeForce GTX 660, get that.
m
0
l
January 11, 2014 2:05:57 PM

nukemaster said:
The case has an older design including a smaller rear fan(does not remove heat as well) and does not look like it has room for any longer video cards.

The last part would be the power supply being on the top. The bottom is generally better since the power supply does not have to deal with as much heat.

This is not to say the case would not work, Zalman also has some cheap cases of a similar design(may be worth looking at).

the 660 is slightly better than the 650 ti boost(overall the difference is 10% and under so it is not a huge jump). Both cards may have some issues with lots of eye candy as the memory controller can not access all memory evenly when over 1.5 gigabytes is in use.

The Nvidia drivers do a good job of avoiding this issue(by using 1.5 gigabytes of memory or less as much as it can), but selling the cards as 1.5 gigabytes may have been a better option.

thanks allot for your time, ill check out some Zalman cases :) 
m
0
l
January 11, 2014 2:55:16 PM

stantriespcbuilding said:
nukemaster said:
The case has an older design including a smaller rear fan(does not remove heat as well) and does not look like it has room for any longer video cards.

The last part would be the power supply being on the top. The bottom is generally better since the power supply does not have to deal with as much heat.

This is not to say the case would not work, Zalman also has some cheap cases of a similar design(may be worth looking at).

the 660 is slightly better than the 650 ti boost(overall the difference is 10% and under so it is not a huge jump). Both cards may have some issues with lots of eye candy as the memory controller can not access all memory evenly when over 1.5 gigabytes is in use.

The Nvidia drivers do a good job of avoiding this issue(by using 1.5 gigabytes of memory or less as much as it can), but selling the cards as 1.5 gigabytes may have been a better option.

thanks allot for your time, ill check out some Zalman cases :) 


i picked the Zalman Z11 Plus. Looks like a good case, hoping it can fit everything in there
m
0
l
January 11, 2014 8:11:04 PM

It is larger and has better cooling.

Cards upto 11.4 inches will fit that case as long as the power plugs are on the side. If they are on the end, a bit shorter would work. faster cards have the pci-e plugs on the side anyway.
m
0
l
January 12, 2014 2:38:08 AM

nukemaster said:
It is larger and has better cooling.

Cards upto 11.4 inches will fit that case as long as the power plugs are on the side. If they are on the end, a bit shorter would work. faster cards have the pci-e plugs on the side anyway.
how about the T3. its really cheap, but this is a budget pc. do you think everything will fit in there? (I might buy another case fan if needed)

m
0
l
January 12, 2014 9:26:27 AM

It is a more compact case(it is MATX, so your board has to be MATX). It should still fit the cards you are looking at since most of them unless they have some elaborate board design come in under 10 inches anyway.

With the hard drive on the front, it may be close to the video card.

Surely a good value case.

What is the full specs on the system?
m
0
l
January 13, 2014 1:43:12 AM

nukemaster said:
It is a more compact case(it is MATX, so your board has to be MATX). It should still fit the cards you are looking at since most of them unless they have some elaborate board design come in under 10 inches anyway.

With the hard drive on the front, it may be close to the video card.

Surely a good value case.

What is the full specs on the system?


full specs for the system I want:

MoBo: GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3P, socket AM3+
CPU: AMD FX-6300
GPU: MSI N660 Gaming 2GD5/OC
PSU: Corsair CMPSU-500CX, 500 watt.
RAM: Crucial 8 GB DDR3-1600 Kit
HDD: Western Digital Blue, 1 TB
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO MZ-7TE120BW, 120 GB SSD
Burner:LG GH24NS burner
m
0
l
January 13, 2014 7:30:44 AM

Ok, we have some issues with the parts.

The motherboard is an ATX and too big for the second case you looked at(ZM-T3)

Your video card is is 10 1/4 inches according to msi so it would have just squeezed into that case with 1 hard drive installed if the board fit.

Something like the ZALMAN Z5 should fit all your hardware while not costing too much.

The Antec Three Hundred has also been a great case for the price in personal experience(your card fits this case, but blocks some hard drive spaces, not an issue for your parts.).

The Z11 Plus you had looked at does fit all your parts(the video card is a bit tight, but it should fit[as long as MSI's dimensions are accurate. I have another MSI card in my media canter and the dimensions are dead on].).

Just to recap, you want a case that can take ATX boards matx cases are too small but most atx cases will list atx/matx/mitx(matx is micro atx and mitx is mini itx) as long as ATX is listed, not just matx that is good for the board. you need at LEAST 10 1/4 inches for the video card.

You can find many cases that meet your needs it is just a matter of looking to see what you can get from the stores you shop at.
m
0
l
January 13, 2014 7:49:53 AM

nukemaster said:
Ok, we have some issues with the parts.

The motherboard is an ATX and too big for the second case you looked at(ZM-T3)

Your video card is is 10 1/4 inches according to msi so it would have just squeezed into that case with 1 hard drive installed if the board fit.

Something like the ZALMAN Z5 should fit all your hardware while not costing too much.

The Antec Three Hundred has also been a great case for the price in personal experience(your card fits this case, but blocks some hard drive spaces, not an issue for your parts.).

The Z11 Plus you had looked at does fit all your parts(the video card is a bit tight, but it should fit[as long as MSI's dimensions are accurate. I have another MSI card in my media canter and the dimensions are dead on].).

Just to recap, you want a case that can take ATX boards matx cases are too small but most atx cases will list atx/matx/mitx(matx is micro atx and mitx is mini itx) as long as ATX is listed, not just matx that is good for the board. you need at LEAST 10 1/4 inches for the video card.

You can find many cases that meet your needs it is just a matter of looking to see what you can get from the stores you shop at.

so this is an ATX case (atleast the site were im buying it from tells me that) would this be OK?
Zalman Z3
m
0
l
January 13, 2014 11:13:00 AM

stantriespcbuilding said:
nukemaster said:
Ok, we have some issues with the parts.

The motherboard is an ATX and too big for the second case you looked at(ZM-T3)

Your video card is is 10 1/4 inches according to msi so it would have just squeezed into that case with 1 hard drive installed if the board fit.

Something like the ZALMAN Z5 should fit all your hardware while not costing too much.

The Antec Three Hundred has also been a great case for the price in personal experience(your card fits this case, but blocks some hard drive spaces, not an issue for your parts.).

The Z11 Plus you had looked at does fit all your parts(the video card is a bit tight, but it should fit[as long as MSI's dimensions are accurate. I have another MSI card in my media canter and the dimensions are dead on].).

Just to recap, you want a case that can take ATX boards matx cases are too small but most atx cases will list atx/matx/mitx(matx is micro atx and mitx is mini itx) as long as ATX is listed, not just matx that is good for the board. you need at LEAST 10 1/4 inches for the video card.

You can find many cases that meet your needs it is just a matter of looking to see what you can get from the stores you shop at.

so this is an ATX case (atleast the site were im buying it from tells me that) would this be OK?
Zalman Z3


Get a Zalman Z3 Plus, non-plus version is worse, produces more heat and no transparent window.
m
0
l
January 13, 2014 11:32:28 AM

AMDRadeonHD said:
stantriespcbuilding said:
nukemaster said:
Ok, we have some issues with the parts.

The motherboard is an ATX and too big for the second case you looked at(ZM-T3)

Your video card is is 10 1/4 inches according to msi so it would have just squeezed into that case with 1 hard drive installed if the board fit.

Something like the ZALMAN Z5 should fit all your hardware while not costing too much.

The Antec Three Hundred has also been a great case for the price in personal experience(your card fits this case, but blocks some hard drive spaces, not an issue for your parts.).

The Z11 Plus you had looked at does fit all your parts(the video card is a bit tight, but it should fit[as long as MSI's dimensions are accurate. I have another MSI card in my media canter and the dimensions are dead on].).

Just to recap, you want a case that can take ATX boards matx cases are too small but most atx cases will list atx/matx/mitx(matx is micro atx and mitx is mini itx) as long as ATX is listed, not just matx that is good for the board. you need at LEAST 10 1/4 inches for the video card.

You can find many cases that meet your needs it is just a matter of looking to see what you can get from the stores you shop at.

so this is an ATX case (atleast the site were im buying it from tells me that) would this be OK?
Zalman Z3


Get a Zalman Z3 Plus, non-plus version is worse, produces more heat and no transparent window.
how 'bout this one? Cooler Master K-280

m
0
l
January 13, 2014 1:12:11 PM

The Z3, Z3 Plus and K280 are all ATX cases with room for the parts you have selected.

The Plus has some extra fans and a support bracket for video card(you can place a fan on it as well, but it would just circulate case air). Cases do not produce heat so adding an extra fan to the Z3 would make it cool as well as the Z3 Plus anyway. If the price is right, sure get the Z3 plus

All of these cases should meet your needs.
m
0
l
!