Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Compatibility Issues of pre-build desktop with new PSU

Last response: in Components
Share
January 11, 2014 1:52:02 PM

Hey guys, let me start off by saying that I'm not very PC savvy at all, so I'm turning to the experts for help :)  I saw a good pre-built computer that I wanted to buy and here are the specs:

http://avatargamingpc.com/clipeus-i5-4576.html

Case: ENERMAX Clipeus
Motherboard: MSI H81M-E33
Memory: 8GB [4x1] 1600MHz
Processor: Intel Core i5-3450 3.1GHz
Processor Cooling: INTEL CPU Cooling Fan with Heatsink
Hard Drive: 1TB 7200RPM SATA III Hard Drive
Hard Drive 2: None
Graphics Card: Geforce 760 GTX 2GB/OC
Sound Card: Onboard 3D Premium Surround Sound
Ethernet Card: Onboard LAN Network 10/100
DVD Drive: 24X DVDRW Internal Drive
Power Supply: 500W
Operating System: Windows 8.1 64bit
Keyboard: Basic USB Keyboard
Mouse: Basic USB Mouse

I checked with Newegg, and it says that the PSU isn't really enough to support the hardware. So I wanted to get a Corsair CX750 Builder Series ATX 80 PLUS Bronze Certified Power Supply. But I'm not sure if the PSU is compatible. I tried using PCPartpicker but they didn't have some of the components. So I was wondering whether you guys know?

Thanks so much in advance!

Update 1: This is also on newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Not sure if that helps.

Best solution

January 11, 2014 1:56:48 PM

i wouldnt recommend that with a unknown power supply as it can be cheap and wont work good
if you do buy you would have to change the power supply but everything else is fine
Share
January 11, 2014 2:09:31 PM

With most prebuilts like this, they get the price down by skimping on one or more parts.

Unknown PSU (major red flag), minimally featured motherboard, unknown RAM, underpowered LAN port

You'll end up buying some parts twice. Once with this, and then again when you find out which ones are crap.
m
0
l
Related resources
January 11, 2014 2:21:25 PM

USAFRet said:
With most prebuilts like this, they get the price down by skimping on one or more parts.

Unknown PSU (major red flag), minimally featured motherboard, unknown RAM, underpowered LAN port

You'll end up buying some parts twice. Once with this, and then again when you find out which ones are crap.


Thanks! Yea, I'll be replacing the PSU. Could you explain why the motherboard and LAN port is bad? I thought for RAM, its just about 8/16/32 gb; are they more to it than that?
m
0
l
January 11, 2014 2:21:41 PM

nickbachu said:
i wouldnt recommend that with a unknown power supply as it can be cheap and wont work good
if you do buy you would have to change the power supply but everything else is fine


Thanks!
m
0
l
January 11, 2014 2:27:04 PM

MythicDO said:
USAFRet said:
With most prebuilts like this, they get the price down by skimping on one or more parts.

Unknown PSU (major red flag), minimally featured motherboard, unknown RAM, underpowered LAN port

You'll end up buying some parts twice. Once with this, and then again when you find out which ones are crap.


Thanks! Yea, I'll be replacing the PSU. Could you explain why the motherboard and LAN port is bad? I thought for RAM, its just about 8/16/32 gb; are they more to it than that?


LAN port is only 10/100, rather than the typical 10/100/1000
Motherboard is 'OK', but only 2 RAM slots, already taken, only one PCI slot,
All RAM is not created equal.
m
0
l
!