Solved

Overclocking my i5-4670k.

I have an i5-4670k that was factory overclocked to 3.79 GHz. What should I overclock to? I know next to knowing about overclocking, so a step by step walkthrough, preferably with pictures, would be great.

Also, I have a closed loop liquid cooling system.
13 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about overclocking 4670k
  1. For a step by step guide, I'll suggest using your favorite search engine and do a search for overclocking on your motherboard. Each manufacturer has different terms they use for the same thing so by using a guide directed toward your motherboard, confusion should be minimized. Also, any numbers they show should be considered a goal or "guidance toward number" since there are far too many variables (even with identical hardware) to guarantee success. Last, don't just follow the first guide you find, read through a few, it will help give you an understanding of what changes can have an effect on what. Most importantly, one of them will be easier to understand and follow than the others, you should be comfortable with the guide you choose.
    Hope it helps
  2. Best answer
    I recommend watching this video for a excellent step by step tutorial on overclocking your CPU. Please keep in mind that Haswell CPUs are not the greatest for overclocking so don't be disappointed if you only achieve 4.3ghz (or maybe a bit lower) What motherboard do you have?
  3. Wesley Wall said:
    I recommend watching this video for a excellent step by step tutorial on overclocking your CPU. Please keep in mind that Haswell CPUs are not the greatest for overclocking so don't be disappointed if you only achieve 4.3ghz (or maybe a bit lower) What motherboard do you have?



    I have a Gigabyte Z87-HD3 ATX Motherboard.
  4. Alright you should be fine then, I've heard the Gigabyte BIOS is real easy to use.

    Don't forget to select a best answer and let us know if we can be of any more assistance.
  5. Wesley Wall said:
    Alright you should be fine then, I've heard the Gigabyte BIOS is real easy to use.

    Don't forget to select a best answer and let us know if we can be of any more assistance.


    Alright, thanks! I was kind of hoping for a more definite number though. I really don't want to end up messing up my CPU.
  6. By the way, I would recommend trying 4.4GHz and 1.2v. If its not stable there increase the voltage by 0.02. Keep doing that until it's stable.
  7. It really is up to the CPU batch you got. There is soooo much variance in them nowadays that there is no real way to predict what you are going to get. I try to stay below 1.3v. As long as you do that you shouldn't mess up anything. Remember to watch the video and not use ANY software overclocking methods.
  8. You may not be able to even get 4.4ghz, although you should be able to easily. For me personally though with my 4670k I am only able to get 4.3ghz at 1.28v. and its still not entirely stable.
  9. Wesley Wall said:
    It really is up to the CPU batch you got. There is soooo much variance in them nowadays that there is no real way to predict what you are going to get. I try to stay below 1.3v. As long as you do that you shouldn't mess up anything. Remember to watch the video and not use ANY software overclocking methods.


    I don't know how they overclocked it at the factory, but I'm assuming they used BIOS. There wasn't a log in made already or anything.
  10. I have CPU-Z, is there any information I can give you from there that could help?
  11. My bad man just reread your question and if I'm correct your asking if your factory overclock is ok and if you should go beyond it? As we stated yeah you should be able to push far beyond it. You could certainly post your CPU-Z info but at this time I think we should be more focused on starting from scratch and doing your own overclock. If you need any step by step guidance watch the video OR you could even Skype me and I will walk you through it.
  12. Wesley Wall said:
    My bad man just reread your question and if I'm correct your asking if your factory overclock is ok and if you should go beyond it? As we stated yeah you should be able to push far beyond it. You could certainly post your CPU-Z info but at this time I think we should be more focused on starting from scratch and doing your own overclock. If you need any step by step guidance watch the video OR you could even Skype me and I will walk you through it.


    I've been thinking about going a bit beyond the factory overclock for the last couple days. Overclocking it to ~4.0GHz won't give me a huge difference in gameplay though, right? Maybe a few frames? And thank you for the offer, I'll consider it.
  13. Not quite sure about the performance boost you would get out of it, maybe 1 - 2 fps. I'd say shoot for 4.5ghz and see where you end up. Who knows you might end up with a good overclocking chip.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs