Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

780ti 3gb or wait for 780ti 6gb

Tags:
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 11, 2014 8:45:15 PM

im getting a 780 ti for a gift in a few weeks and im wondering if there is any news on the 6gig verison or if i need it at all.

i run 3 dell 2001 fp monitors each one is 1600x1200

will i need the 6 gig or will the 3gb be enough? its for gaming
i play bf4
farcry 3
arma3
dayz
and many more plus want to play star citizen

my specs
fx 8150 oced 4.3 with 120mm rad
8gigs of 1866 mhz dominator gt
mobo is asus m5a99x evo r.20
corsair rm 850
January 11, 2014 8:50:32 PM

Apparently from what I read 6gb ti was a rumour :(  Just get the TI now or one of the aftermarket cooled 290x
m
0
l
January 11, 2014 8:51:30 PM

3gb is PLENTY for gaming.

6gb is for multi monitor setups and SLI.
m
0
l
Related resources
January 11, 2014 8:53:05 PM

Fitzitz said:
Apparently from what I read 6gb ti was a rumour :(  Just get the TI now or one of the aftermarket cooled 290x


Oh really? so its not true?
m
0
l
January 11, 2014 8:53:12 PM

@Shadow32 it says in his post that he is using 3 dell monitor.

@Simple neophyte it seems that way
m
0
l
January 11, 2014 8:53:42 PM

shadow32 said:
3gb is PLENTY for gaming.

6gb is for multi monitor setups and SLI.


Well i use 3 monitors for gaming in surround...so what do you think?
m
0
l
January 11, 2014 8:54:32 PM

Fitzitz said:
@Shadow32 it says in his post that he is using 3 dell monitor.

@Simple neophyte it seems that way


thanks i wasnt sure if i did it right. only second time posting
m
0
l
January 11, 2014 8:55:48 PM

If you have money to spare, get a Titan. If you have lots of money to spare, get sli titans. Alternatively, if you have no beef with amd, get an r9 290x or two as their 4gb is the best you are going to get outside a Titan.
m
0
l
January 11, 2014 8:56:57 PM

Yes, you would need more than 3GB (Ideally) to play with three monitors
m
0
l
January 11, 2014 8:57:22 PM

If you are using dual gpu set ups of that calibre, you will want to get a better cpu though so that you don't bottleneck.
m
0
l
January 11, 2014 8:58:05 PM

Fitzitz said:
If you have money to spare, get a Titan. If you have lots of money to spare, get sli titans. Alternatively, if you have no beef with amd, get an r9 290x or two as their 4gb is the best you are going to get outside a Titan.


What? The Titan is almost a useless card. The 780ti is cheaper and faster.

If you are going to be doing multi-monitors, then yes, get a 6gb card.
m
0
l
January 11, 2014 9:00:19 PM

Shadow, there is no 6gb gpu outside of Titan. I know 290x and ti are better which is why I suggested 290x for extra vram over ti. Don't speak if you aren't going to be intelligible.
m
0
l
January 11, 2014 9:03:30 PM

Fitzitz said:
If you have money to spare, get a Titan. If you have lots of money to spare, get sli titans. Alternatively, if you have no beef with amd, get an r9 290x or two as their 4gb is the best you are going to get outside a Titan.


its a gift from my girlfriend so titan is outa the question and after my 5970 im not going back to amd
m
0
l
January 11, 2014 9:04:35 PM

gameboy1998 said:
Yes, you would need more than 3GB (Ideally) to play with three monitors


well right now i have a 770 4gb and run all 3 mons and never go above 3gbs from what i can see....but wasnt sure if i should wait for a different verison of the 780ti
m
0
l
January 11, 2014 9:05:13 PM

shadow32 said:
Fitzitz said:
If you have money to spare, get a Titan. If you have lots of money to spare, get sli titans. Alternatively, if you have no beef with amd, get an r9 290x or two as their 4gb is the best you are going to get outside a Titan.


What? The Titan is almost a useless card. The 780ti is cheaper and faster.

If you are going to be doing multi-monitors, then yes, get a 6gb card.


is there going to be a 6gb card? is my question the whole time lol
m
0
l
January 11, 2014 9:05:27 PM

What is the budget for the gpu? Because if you may be able to get a couple of 4gb 770s for around or just over the price of a 780 ti
m
0
l
January 11, 2014 9:05:46 PM

simpleneophyte said:
gameboy1998 said:
Yes, you would need more than 3GB (Ideally) to play with three monitors


well right now i have a 770 4gb and run all 3 mons and never go above 3gbs from what i can see....but wasnt sure if i should wait for a different verison of the 780ti


It's hard to say if when someone will make a 4gb version of it. Its really up to you.
m
0
l
January 11, 2014 9:06:47 PM

And from what I can tell, there will be no 6gb 780 ti (although an 8xx series card may have that much but I doubt it).
m
0
l
January 11, 2014 9:07:37 PM

ok guys so heres my thing my girlfriend is getting me it for a gift so i cant be overly greedy cause shes already going above and beyond in my eyes. i have a 770 4gb windforce right now and i dont think i ever hit over 3 gbs im not sure...but i was wondering is there a 6gb verison coming or is it just talk. will the 3gb work just as good for 3 1600x1200 mons
m
0
l
January 11, 2014 9:08:15 PM

If you already have a 4gb 770 then just grab another one, then sell them both later on when you upgrade
m
0
l
January 11, 2014 9:08:46 PM

Fitzitz said:
What is the budget for the gpu? Because if you may be able to get a couple of 4gb 770s for around or just over the price of a 780 ti


i have a 770 4gb right now and 750 is what she is willing to spend....i was gonna sli but she said i can get the best for all what i have done this year
m
0
l
January 11, 2014 9:09:43 PM

Fitzitz said:
And from what I can tell, there will be no 6gb 780 ti (although an 8xx series card may have that much but I doubt it).


dang
m
0
l
January 11, 2014 9:10:02 PM

The 6gb ti was talked about mainly as a possibility pre release of 780 ti. You should be fine with 3gn vram however since you have already hit that area, it seems likely to me next gen games will push you over that border.
m
0
l
January 11, 2014 9:10:22 PM

Fitzitz said:
If you already have a 4gb 770 then just grab another one, then sell them both later on when you upgrade


so your saying the 780ti is pointless for me? i planned on getting one then sli down the road
m
0
l
January 11, 2014 9:10:53 PM

I agree, the 3gb should be fine for now.
m
0
l
January 11, 2014 9:11:07 PM

When do you intend to upgrade after this?
m
0
l
January 11, 2014 9:12:48 PM

For 3 monitors, a ti will probably last you till about start of 2015, but I wouldn't bother sliing them, as 3gb vram will start to be a major handicap at that resolution
m
0
l
January 11, 2014 9:13:04 PM

Fitzitz said:
The 6gb ti was talked about mainly as a possibility pre release of 780 ti. You should be fine with 3gn vram however since you have already hit that area, it seems likely to me next gen games will push you over that border.


well i wana say that i hit 2 to 2 1/2 gigs but just read somthing about 6 gig verison so i didnt want her to buy it then that come out...so i figured i would ask people who knew more then me...and will 780 ti sli be good?
m
0
l
January 11, 2014 9:14:31 PM

IMHO, and sli of 780 ti is only really going to be suggested at single 1440p where 3gb vram is useful but unlikely to go over. For triple monitor set ups I generally reccomend a 4gb vram card in sli if possible.
m
0
l
January 11, 2014 9:14:59 PM

shadow32 said:
I agree, the 3gb should be fine for now.


thank you very much for your help
m
0
l
January 11, 2014 9:15:34 PM

When do intend to upgrade after this because I think the ti will be good for about another year at that resolution
m
0
l
January 11, 2014 9:15:38 PM

Fitzitz said:
When do you intend to upgrade after this?


umm she wanted to buy it for me in 3 weeks....then maybe in a year or less sli
m
0
l
January 11, 2014 9:16:39 PM

Fitzitz said:
For 3 monitors, a ti will probably last you till about start of 2015, but I wouldn't bother sliing them, as 3gb vram will start to be a major handicap at that resolution


why till 2015? is the 780ti not as good as they say? and why no sli
m
0
l
January 11, 2014 9:17:42 PM

In a year I would just grab a new card, for until then the 780 to should be good enough to max anything you play (or come close) so long as you don't go crazy with AA
m
0
l
January 11, 2014 9:18:02 PM

Why not just get a 2nd 4Gb GTX 770 for SLI? Your PSU should be able to handle it and the motherboard supports it. It'd also be cheaper and faster than a 780Ti.
m
0
l
January 11, 2014 9:18:56 PM

Fitzitz said:
When do intend to upgrade after this because I think the ti will be good for about another year at that resolution


ok so im trying to keep up lol...so im going to answer your last question also i was planning on just sli the 770 4gb and call it good for a few years cause my mons are only 60hz mons....but my first post everyone told me to get the 780 ti and i would like to last a few years cause my next upgrades are a new mobo and a i7 4770k
m
0
l
January 11, 2014 9:19:33 PM

And in 2015 the card will start to show its age a little (not excessively) particualry in the vram area. The ti is an amazing card but at your resolution I really would go r9 290x with a nice aftermarket cooler
m
0
l
January 11, 2014 9:20:30 PM

bignastyid said:
Why not just get a 2nd 4Gb GTX 770 for SLI? Your PSU should be able to handle it and the motherboard supports it. It'd also be cheaper and faster than a 780Ti.


that was my plan originally but then she told me i could pick any card i want and my other post everyone said get the 780ti then sli in a year
m
0
l
January 11, 2014 9:21:18 PM

Just sli 4gb 770s for now and then upgrade later if they are too weak, but they are amazing cards and you are probably good with them for a while
m
0
l
January 11, 2014 9:22:46 PM

Fitzitz said:
And in 2015 the card will start to show its age a little (not excessively) particualry in the vram area. The ti is an amazing card but at your resolution I really would go r9 290x with a nice aftermarket cooler


i wouldnt mind going back to amd ....but i like my pysx and i had alot of problems with amd and the heat....unless its gotten better ...the last card i had was the 5970hd dual gpu
m
0
l
January 11, 2014 9:24:24 PM

Fitzitz said:
Just sli 4gb 770s for now and then upgrade later if they are too weak, but they are amazing cards and you are probably good with them for a while


ok....so you think the 780ti isnt worth it? i just dont want to turn down a opertunity to get the best card/or upgrade
m
0
l
January 11, 2014 9:26:30 PM

Most crossfire issues have been fixed, but 290xs don't use bridge, they run using your motherboard's pice slots, so you want a good motherboard if that is what you are doing. If I were you, just grab an r9 290x, then upgrade later on when it starts to become weak. Look for online reviews for which one to get, particualry 3 fan cooled ones as they are only about 5C above most 780s
m
0
l
January 11, 2014 9:32:03 PM

Fitzitz said:
Most crossfire issues have been fixed, but 290xs don't use bridge, they run using your motherboard's pice slots, so you want a good motherboard if that is what you are doing. If I were you, just grab an r9 290x, then upgrade later on when it starts to become weak. Look for online reviews for which one to get, particualry 3 fan cooled ones as they are only about 5C above most 780s


oh nice ill look into it...but where does it compete with the 780ti....i just really like nvidia and have had really good look compared to amd
m
0
l
January 11, 2014 9:34:50 PM

They are about the same really, if you were at a lower resolution I would probably recommend 780 ti for physx but at triple monitor set ups you can never have enough vram
m
0
l
January 11, 2014 9:38:24 PM

Fitzitz said:
They are about the same really, if you were at a lower resolution I would probably recommend 780 ti for physx but at triple monitor set ups you can never have enough vram


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9WSRlb97kM

theres this guys video i found wich is similar to what im asking i think.

well my total res with bezel comp is 5040x1200 so im not even hitting 1080p...but these monitors look great so i see no need to get new ones just want her to buy the best card for her money and me happy
m
0
l
January 11, 2014 9:39:27 PM

Fitzitz said:
They are about the same really, if you were at a lower resolution I would probably recommend 780 ti for physx but at triple monitor set ups you can never have enough vram


also i read that the 770 cant use all of the 4 gigs of ram cause of the 256 bus
m
0
l
January 11, 2014 9:42:56 PM

Most places say that, it is the few people who still recommend the 4gb that make me wonder. Anyway, at multi monitor I would always go for 290x whereas with single monitors I would usually go 780 ti.
m
0
l
January 11, 2014 9:50:17 PM

well i just jumped on batman arkham origins and put everything maxed as far as it would go even AA and i hit 2996 gigs of usage....so idk what to do...
m
0
l
January 11, 2014 9:52:48 PM

well with single 780 and 1200 you will get around 100+ fps so with three you are looking down to 50s with ultra settings and no you won't get 60 fps with 780ti on that setup on ultra settings but you could adjust ultra to high
m
0
l
January 11, 2014 9:58:45 PM

t21 said:
well with single 780 and 1200 you will get around 100+ fps so with three you are looking down to 50s with ultra settings and no you won't get 60 fps with 780ti on that setup on ultra settings but you could adjust ultra to high


well i get 55 across all 3 in bf4 with ultra settings and no AA
m
0
l
!