Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

how to uninstall windows 8.1 and replace with windows 7

Last response: in Windows 8
Share
January 12, 2014 1:09:45 PM

I installed windows 8.1 when I did this build, but now I'm running into issue's with specific games that I play. So I want to remove 8.1 and replace it with the windows 7 that I purchased...can some one give a quick walk through here? Thanks in advance.
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
January 12, 2014 1:14:43 PM

What drive, how many partitions?
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
January 12, 2014 1:15:05 PM

boot from the windows 7 cd after you back up your own data. go into advance mode on window 7 cd and delete all the partions on the hard drive. this will remove windows 8x from your hard drive. then run the windows 7 installer. if windows 7 cd install right you be fine if you get a duel bot message you may have to use diskpart tools to delete the mbr and to start the install again.
m
0
l
Related resources
January 12, 2014 1:17:18 PM

Insert windows 7 disc set the boot options in the bios to boot to the dvd drive. Restart when the win 7 disc loads click custom then when the screen with hard drive selection appears highlite the install drive select drive options them format. Then click the hardrive again and click next and continue the basic install process. When its done go back into the bios and change the boot priority back to the hardrive.
m
0
l
a c 518 $ Windows 7
a c 369 * Windows 8
January 12, 2014 1:20:44 PM

Specifically, what games don't work? And how do they fail?
m
0
l
January 12, 2014 3:49:40 PM

Ok...I am not computer savy by any means. This was an xmas gift for my son. Here's what we have Samsung Evo ssd 250g(for OS only), Western dig. 1TB blue(for all the other crap) for drives and MSI G45 MB. I got the windows 8.1 disc and installed it. When he tries to plays Rift, Skyrim, Guild wars, Swtor and like games they crash or won't even load up. As for partitions I have no clue. So with everything we have read it seems 8.1 can't run any of these yet..so we figured lets go back to 7 and thats were we are at.
m
0
l
a c 518 $ Windows 7
a c 369 * Windows 8
January 12, 2014 3:53:18 PM

There is little difference between Windows 8/8.1 and Windows 7 as far as what can run.

It would appear you have other issues.
m
0
l

Best solution

February 12, 2014 1:52:22 PM

On the new UEFI systems, the BIOS no longer exists like before. There's no "F" key to press to get into it. They don't work anymore. On Win 8 you could go into PC Settings and make it boot to the BIOS and switch to boot to the DVD. Win 8.1 has removed this option and I'm currently looking for an answer myself, which is how I got here.

EDIT: Win 8.1 just moved the above to a different place. To get to the BIOS just click the following:

Open Charms bar,
Settings,
PC Settings,
Recovery and Update,
Recovery,
Advanced Startup,
Troubleshoot,
Advanced Options,
UEFI Firmware Settings,
Click Restart.

It will now reboot to the BIOS. Isn't that a lot simpler than just pressing F2 when you boot? This is hands-down the dumbest thing I have seen yet? LOL
Share
June 3, 2014 4:11:40 PM

straybeat said:
On the new UEFI systems, the BIOS no longer exists like before. There's no "F" key to press to get into it. They don't work anymore. On Win 8 you could go into PC Settings and make it boot to the BIOS and switch to boot to the DVD. Win 8.1 has removed this option and I'm currently looking for an answer myself, which is how I got here.

EDIT: Win 8.1 just moved the above to a different place. To get to the BIOS just click the following:

Open Charms bar,
Settings,
PC Settings,
Recovery and Update,
Recovery,
Advanced Startup,
Troubleshoot,
Advanced Options,
UEFI Firmware Settings,
Click Restart.

It will now reboot to the BIOS. Isn't that a lot simpler than just pressing F2 when you boot? This is hands-down the dumbest thing I have seen yet? LOL


Man............It's a good thing I saw this !!!! I Just 3 min ago, ordered a Win 8.1 Laptop and planned on putting win 7 pro on it as soon as it arrives. I was planning on just pressing F12 n boot from DVD Drive,rthen..Press any key to boot form DVD n go from there. So NO GO Huh??? Wow!!!
So TY for Posting this!!!!
Thank You!!!!!! You probably saved me from throwing it into the pool n saying it got wet......lmao
Lefty
m
0
l
June 3, 2014 4:14:18 PM

Hahahahahah what the hell is the Charms Bar???? lol......I guess I'm gonna find out lmao:pt1cable: 
m
0
l
June 3, 2014 10:28:05 PM

Lefty666 said:
Man............It's a good thing I saw this !!!! I Just 3 min ago, ordered a Win 8.1 Laptop and planned on putting win 7 pro on it as soon as it arrives. I was planning on just pressing F12 n boot from DVD Drive,rthen..Press any key to boot form DVD n go from there. So NO GO Huh??? Wow!!!
So TY for Posting this!!!!
Thank You!!!!!! You probably saved me from throwing it into the pool n saying it got wet......lmao
Lefty


I returned the Asus laptop that I had, thinking it was a poor implementation of UEFI. I tried 3 different brands, all the same. I ended up going to a pawn shop and finding a 2-year-old Dell that was top of the line for the year, for VERY cheap. It came with Win7, so all was good again!

I did a tiny bit of research on UEFI (because I could care less) and it seems that UEFI is another cheesy attempt by Microsoft to force us to keep using Windows 8? I ended up getting to Ubuntu and only use Windows to program my Harmony Remote (and before all the MS patriots scream "another Linux fanboi", I'm anti-microsoft NOT pro-Linux). :p  LOL
m
1
l
June 4, 2014 6:28:37 AM

straybeat said:
Lefty666 said:
Man............It's a good thing I saw this !!!! I Just 3 min ago, ordered a Win 8.1 Laptop and planned on putting win 7 pro on it as soon as it arrives. I was planning on just pressing F12 n boot from DVD Drive,rthen..Press any key to boot form DVD n go from there. So NO GO Huh??? Wow!!!
So TY for Posting this!!!!
Thank You!!!!!! You probably saved me from throwing it into the pool n saying it got wet......lmao
Lefty


I returned the Asus laptop that I had, thinking it was a poor implementation of UEFI. I tried 3 different brands, all the same. I ended up going to a pawn shop and finding a 2-year-old Dell that was top of the line for the year, for VERY cheap. It came with Win7, so all was good again!

I did a tiny bit of research on UEFI (because I could care less) and it seems that UEFI is another cheesy attempt by Microsoft to force us to keep using Windows 8? I ended up getting to Ubuntu and only use Windows to program my Harmony Remote (and before all the MS patriots scream "another Linux fanboi", I'm anti-microsoft NOT pro-Linux). :p  LOL


Straybeat,
Will this work on ANY Win 8.1 laptop? What about all the drivers. I heard some peeps having Major Probs getting all the correct drivers back when they do downgrade.
I basically just bought this as a Media Player. Reason being, is that.......Last week my 5 yyear old Gateway died on me. maaan that little sucker was an awesome little ( well it was a 17 in), but It was Great cause I basically just used it as a Media Player. I know what your thinking. Why? Well I hook it into my Onkyo TX-NR 818 A/V Reciever, tat has 2 video processors that upscale ANY thing I play through it to 1080P Vid & 7.2 Surround Sound! It also can upscale ANY thing I run trough it and it can Upscale to 2160P if the TV is 2160P w/7.2 SS also!!! So basically, I don't have to buy a $2500 dollar laptop just to get good A/V .
So I'm thinking that if there are peeps having Major issues getting the correct drivers back, maybe just leave Win 8.1 on it??? As long as I can use VLC Media Player on it!!!
So, ya think I should create sys discs just in case Win 7 downgrade don't allow me to load the right drivers, I can just load win 8.1 back on?
Or do you think I will be fine with the downgrade??? Shit....I don't even know if this is 32 or 64 bit Windows???
Guess I'll find out tomm?
If its 32 it's going back, but if it's 64 bit, can I downgrade it? It's an HP Anodized Silver 17.3" Pavilion 17-e119wm Laptop PC with AMD A10-5750M Quad-Core Processor, 8GB Memory, 1TB Hard Drive and Windows 8.1
m
0
l
!