Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

What to do with old computers?

Last response: in Systems
Share
January 12, 2014 2:14:46 PM

I have an old laptop that i could clean up and maybe get a little out of, a desktop that also needs to be wiped and cleaned and such, but is in no way fantastic. It'll let you do very basic things like email and just use the internet but no real gaming or anything. Then i have about a 20 year old gateway desktop tower that I'm pretty sure doesn't even work. And also an old Dell tower that may or may not work. all of these are in no way gaming computers and may potentially be able to just do basic things like i said above. What's the best thing to do with these things to get some money out of them to spend toward a new gaming computer?

More about : computers

a b 4 Gaming
January 12, 2014 2:20:05 PM

Out of that entire pile, you might be able to get $50 from the right buyer. But probably not even that.
And that's for the laptop. The other stuff is $0.
m
0
l
a c 227 4 Gaming
January 12, 2014 2:20:22 PM

I would just donate them to a place that could use more computers or put it up on craigslist for free. You may be able to get some money if you sell them, but definitely not make enough for a gaming computer.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
January 12, 2014 2:21:09 PM

If you think that there is nothing more to do with them, the best thing to do is to get them to a place where they will recycle them. I don't think that you will make money with these computers. If you wouldn't buy them in a store, I doubt someone else would do the same.

I had myself a pretty old laptop and I still use it now after a few tweaks I made. First, I made a complete reinstall of my OS. Then, I replace the old 5400 RPM HDD to a brand new SSD. Now, it works like new. You may also look to add more RAM if needed.

Look at the 840 EVO from Samsung for the SSD !
m
0
l
January 12, 2014 3:14:47 PM

USAFRet said:
Out of that entire pile, you might be able to get $50 from the right buyer. But probably not even that.
And that's for the laptop. The other stuff is $0.


I expected pretty much nothing from the gateway, but that's really it? Seems like i could get more than that, but idk.
m
0
l
January 12, 2014 3:15:41 PM

RazerZ said:
I would just donate them to a place that could use more computers or put it up on craigslist for free. You may be able to get some money if you sell them, but definitely not make enough for a gaming computer.


They aren't entirely funding for a completely new gaming computer, but more money would help. But dang, I was hoping I'd get more than this.
m
0
l
January 12, 2014 3:26:33 PM

don't be greedy. donate, give away, or recycle. at best a power supply could be salvaged to use as a spare / tester, or an IDE drive in case someone on this planet hasn't yet moved on to SATA.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
January 12, 2014 3:29:31 PM

OpChow said:
USAFRet said:
Out of that entire pile, you might be able to get $50 from the right buyer. But probably not even that.
And that's for the laptop. The other stuff is $0.


I expected pretty much nothing from the gateway, but that's really it? Seems like i could get more than that, but idk.


No, that's probably about it.
Anyone not seriously tech savvy can't really use it, and anyone actually tech savvy (like me) won't pay more than that.
Share
April 27, 2014 7:08:26 AM

OpChow said:
I have an old laptop that i could clean up and maybe get a little out of, a desktop that also needs to be wiped and cleaned and such, but is in no way fantastic. It'll let you do very basic things like email and just use the internet but no real gaming or anything. Then i have about a 20 year old gateway desktop tower that I'm pretty sure doesn't even work. And also an old Dell tower that may or may not work. all of these are in no way gaming computers and may potentially be able to just do basic things like i said above. What's the best thing to do with these things to get some money out of them to spend toward a new gaming computer?


I would purchase these from you. How much do you want for them?
m
0
l
!