Fx-8320 throttling with reasonable temps? HELP!?

harshp344

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
Hello, recently I replaced my stock amd cooler for my fx 8320 with a hyper 212 evo. After doing so, when I started playing a game I saw a the fps was dropping quite Significantly, from 40-50 fps to 15-20 fps. I married down the problem to the CPU throttling to around 2.5 GHz to 2.9 GHz every time the frame rate drops. I'm wondering why this might be. The idle temp I am getting is around 40c and the load temp is no more than 60c. I was just wondering why it is throttling lime this.

To add, while I was installing the heatsink did slide a little to the side and just slide it back into place, this actually happened several times during the installation process, I am wondering if this is because of the heatsink not on properly or something else. The cpu was fine before the installation and never used to throttle like this.

PLEAS HELP THIS IS REALLY FUSTRATING :(

Thanks in advance :)

Solution
sorry I didn't get the notification for your reply.
you haven't overclocked at ALL and it was working FINE before you put your Hyper 212 evo? Either that's a defective 212 evo or you obviously must have put the heatsink on wrong,used way too much thermal paste,combined with your bad mobo

leave it on the stock clock, and do the 212 install again, only a very small dab of thermal paste in the middle of the cpu and let the heatsink spread it out on its own.

ShadyHamster

Distinguished
Depending on what motherboard you have you might be throttling because of VRM temps due to them getting less airflow because of the tower cooler.
The stock cooler would provide a little more airflow around the VRM's which might have been keeping them just under throttling temp.

I know on my old Asrock 970 Extreme4 board the VRM temp would kick in throttling at around 78 degrees well before the cpu even hit 60.

As rdc85 said, try reinstalling the cooler.

harshp344

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
So what would you suggest I do? It was not throttling before I put on the new heatsink, but now it is. I also can't don't have the money to buy a new mobo, would I be able to underclock my CPU to solve the problem?

harshp344

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
Anyone? I was thinking that maybe I could undervolt the CPU and also put a case fane directly on top of the vrm to give it some cooling? Can someone please reply? Please, I'm really worried and want to solve this problem

ShadyHamster

Distinguished
My 8320 undervolts to 1.1v @ 3.5ghz with turbo disabled which helps quite significantly with temps.
Mind you i have a better board for oc'ing (Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2) so you may or may not be able to drop volts that low (it will also depend on how good the silicone is on the chip as well)
You should easily be able to drop the volts down to 1.2v.

The extra fan over the vrms is a good idea too, you can reuse the old fan off the stock cooler.

harshp344

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
Like I said I don't have the money to change motherboards, and also when the stock heatsink was on I did not have this problem at all, so I'm going to undervolt the CPU and put a fan blowing air directly onto the vrms, and I also heard that the 8320 is capable of undervolting to use only around 95w so I will be able keep stable even if the motherboard doesnt support my CPU wattage

WhiteSnake91

Distinguished
sorry I didn't get the notification for your reply.
you haven't overclocked at ALL and it was working FINE before you put your Hyper 212 evo? Either that's a defective 212 evo or you obviously must have put the heatsink on wrong,used way too much thermal paste,combined with your bad mobo

leave it on the stock clock, and do the 212 install again, only a very small dab of thermal paste in the middle of the cpu and let the heatsink spread it out on its own.

Solution

ShadyHamster

Distinguished

CPU temp is not the only temp that will throttle the cpu down, the fact that the vrm's no longer get enough passive air flow from the down draft stock cooler would be the reason for the throttling.

WhiteSnake91

Distinguished
that's possible as well. If throttling still continues OP just go back to the stock cooler until you can afford a motherboard with actual heatsink on the VRM

I know about the VRM throttling, I told him earlier that was the problem,but, he said he cannot afford a new motherboard at this time.

you could possibly keep the 212 evo and rig the stock fan to sit right on top of the VRMs and blow air on them as well

rdc85

Honorable
If u got some unused case fan around (or buy cheap case fan with good air presure) try full up every fan hole your case can hold to increase the airflow..

if it still cannot help then u need to modified the case by open up side panel and put case fan directly cools the vrm, u can use some nylon cable ties..

using old stock cooler prove that vrm still can be cooled by constant air pressure but it will be wise to upgrade the mobo later on...

harshp344

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
Ok, so I put a fan on top of the vrm to cool it, this worked and the CPU isn't throttling anymore. But my fps in game is still not the same as before, I uninstalled the amd drivers because I thought they were the problem but I reinstalled them after, do you think this could be a problem with the drivers? And also for some reason my PC doesn't post sometimes now after rearranging the fans, do you think it could be because one of the fan wires is scraping against the mobo? Or could it be because the top of the 212 evo is touching the side of my case? The mobo posts just fine when I take the side panel off.

Thanks in advance :)