Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

SSD's, games And OS question

Tags:
  • Video Games
  • SSD
  • Games
Last response: in Video Games
Share
January 12, 2014 11:10:27 PM

Hello to any reading...next week i will be getting my very first SSD for my gaming rig. plan on going with the 250gb Samsung 840 evo. I understand that having the OS on your ssd makes the whole pc load faster and what not, but i plan on keeping my OS on the HDD and using my SSD for all my games. I want to know will having the OS on the SSD improve load times in games even further, or will load times for games be equally fast regardless if your system is on the SSD. I cant seem to find a straight answer on any forum for any site that i have searched. The reason for me not wanting to put the OS on ssd is is because me lazy american. =)

More about : ssd games question

January 13, 2014 1:43:58 AM

Having your games on a SSD will decrease your load times by only a few seconds which is hardly noticeable.
Having your OS on a SSD, too, will decrease your load times by a few milliseconds which is not noticeable.

I really wouldn´t waste my SSD on games over OS.
m
0
l
January 13, 2014 1:51:32 AM

Yes and No. Yes you will load the games VERY slightly faster with OS on the SSD. The difference will be so minute you would never be able to tell. No it's not worth it since you are lazy.

Yes you will load game files faster with games on an SSD rather than on an HDD.
http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/SSD-...
m
0
l
January 13, 2014 8:31:51 AM

Illumynization said:
Yes and No. Yes you will load the games VERY slightly faster with OS on the SSD. The difference will be so minute you would never be able to tell. No it's not worth it since you are lazy.

Yes you will load game files faster with games on an SSD rather than on an HDD.
http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/SSD-...


okay..thanks for the input. having faster load times is a plus but the main reason that im going for an SSD is because there are 2 games that i really enjoy but for some reason i get an unbearable amount of stuttering in. And they are the only 2 games i stutter in from my extremely large game collection. I Read the Forums on both X and Y games and read that having an ssd eliminates the stuttering. Anyway thanks abunch for the straight answer.

P.S - the 2 games are diablo 3 and Battlefield 4 (i hear my bf4 may be stuttering because my 780ti gives me over 300 FPS and even vsync cant control it..idk it was suggested to me in the BF4 forums when i posted for help)
m
0
l
January 13, 2014 10:30:06 AM

GTX 9000000 said:
Illumynization said:
Yes and No. Yes you will load the games VERY slightly faster with OS on the SSD. The difference will be so minute you would never be able to tell. No it's not worth it since you are lazy.

Yes you will load game files faster with games on an SSD rather than on an HDD.
http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/SSD-...


okay..thanks for the input. having faster load times is a plus but the main reason that im going for an SSD is because there are 2 games that i really enjoy but for some reason i get an unbearable amount of stuttering in. And they are the only 2 games i stutter in from my extremely large game collection. I Read the Forums on both X and Y games and read that having an ssd eliminates the stuttering. Anyway thanks abunch for the straight answer.

P.S - the 2 games are diablo 3 and Battlefield 4 (i hear my bf4 may be stuttering because my 780ti gives me over 300 FPS and even vsync cant control it..idk it was suggested to me in the BF4 forums when i posted for help)


I own and play both games. Yes there is that lag you get from either 2000 mobs in d3, or the act 3 bridge lag, some other locations too but those 2 are the big ones. The SSD will help but remember, when you first boot the game each time, it needs to render those things first and you will still experience some fps lag. The second and ongoing runs will have 0 issue. Same thing pretty much for BF4.

Also, be sure to adjust your graphics setting for EVERYTHING, nvdia control, ingame control, monitor control. Optimize it all; btw I'm pretty sure you need to turn v sync off right now. Its terrible since its lowering what your card can do. Be sure to set nvidia control to Max Performance in the power settings rather than adaptive power, I dont know why its default. Set your card to what you want it to do for everything else, all I can list off the top of my head is, antroscopic filter, trilinear filter, antialiasing types, single monitor only performance, etc.
m
0
l
January 14, 2014 9:14:41 PM

Illumynization said:
GTX 9000000 said:
Illumynization said:
Yes and No. Yes you will load the games VERY slightly faster with OS on the SSD. The difference will be so minute you would never be able to tell. No it's not worth it since you are lazy.

Yes you will load game files faster with games on an SSD rather than on an HDD.
http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/SSD-...


okay..thanks for the input. having faster load times is a plus but the main reason that im going for an SSD is because there are 2 games that i really enjoy but for some reason i get an unbearable amount of stuttering in. And they are the only 2 games i stutter in from my extremely large game collection. I Read the Forums on both X and Y games and read that having an ssd eliminates the stuttering. Anyway thanks abunch for the straight answer.

P.S - the 2 games are diablo 3 and Battlefield 4 (i hear my bf4 may be stuttering because my 780ti gives me over 300 FPS and even vsync cant control it..idk it was suggested to me in the BF4 forums when i posted for help)


I own and play both games. Yes there is that lag you get from either 2000 mobs in d3, or the act 3 bridge lag, some other locations too but those 2 are the big ones. The SSD will help but remember, when you first boot the game each time, it needs to render those things first and you will still experience some fps lag. The second and ongoing runs will have 0 issue. Same thing pretty much for BF4.

Also, be sure to adjust your graphics setting for EVERYTHING, nvdia control, ingame control, monitor control. Optimize it all; btw I'm pretty sure you need to turn v sync off right now. Its terrible since its lowering what your card can do. Be sure to set nvidia control to Max Performance in the power settings rather than adaptive power, I dont know why its default. Set your card to what you want it to do for everything else, all I can list off the top of my head is, antroscopic filter, trilinear filter, antialiasing types, single monitor only performance, etc.


The stuttering in diablo 3 only occurs the first 20 mins of gameplay then it goes away...but that is extremely annoying,,,i saw comparisons on youtube of diable 3 on a ssd and a 7200 rpm hdd and it clearly showed the hdd getting massive stuttering the first few minutes of starting the game, and the ssd showed absolutely 0 stutter from start to finish.
m
0
l

Best solution

January 14, 2014 9:40:39 PM

GTX 9000000 said:
Illumynization said:
GTX 9000000 said:
Illumynization said:
Yes and No. Yes you will load the games VERY slightly faster with OS on the SSD. The difference will be so minute you would never be able to tell. No it's not worth it since you are lazy.

Yes you will load game files faster with games on an SSD rather than on an HDD.
http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/SSD-...


okay..thanks for the input. having faster load times is a plus but the main reason that im going for an SSD is because there are 2 games that i really enjoy but for some reason i get an unbearable amount of stuttering in. And they are the only 2 games i stutter in from my extremely large game collection. I Read the Forums on both X and Y games and read that having an ssd eliminates the stuttering. Anyway thanks abunch for the straight answer.

P.S - the 2 games are diablo 3 and Battlefield 4 (i hear my bf4 may be stuttering because my 780ti gives me over 300 FPS and even vsync cant control it..idk it was suggested to me in the BF4 forums when i posted for help)


I own and play both games. Yes there is that lag you get from either 2000 mobs in d3, or the act 3 bridge lag, some other locations too but those 2 are the big ones. The SSD will help but remember, when you first boot the game each time, it needs to render those things first and you will still experience some fps lag. The second and ongoing runs will have 0 issue. Same thing pretty much for BF4.

Also, be sure to adjust your graphics setting for EVERYTHING, nvdia control, ingame control, monitor control. Optimize it all; btw I'm pretty sure you need to turn v sync off right now. Its terrible since its lowering what your card can do. Be sure to set nvidia control to Max Performance in the power settings rather than adaptive power, I dont know why its default. Set your card to what you want it to do for everything else, all I can list off the top of my head is, antroscopic filter, trilinear filter, antialiasing types, single monitor only performance, etc.


The stuttering in diablo 3 only occurs the first 20 mins of gameplay then it goes away...but that is extremely annoying,,,i saw comparisons on youtube of diable 3 on a ssd and a 7200 rpm hdd and it clearly showed the hdd getting massive stuttering the first few minutes of starting the game, and the ssd showed absolutely 0 stutter from start to finish.


Simply put, the ssd will cache the models. When its time to render them again, the throughput from the ssd out to the mobo is much faster than your platter hdd. Once the ssd caches them you will have blazing performance all game.
Share
!