FX 6300 - Overclocked to 4.5Ghz - Too hot while running Prime 95 and IBT

Jakelq

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
Hi Guyz,

I am new in this community and I loved to be here, I'm enjoying the discussion here and following the guides and tutorials.

But,
I've got a problem with my setup, and did'nt find any answers. (well for me).

I've overclocked my FX6300 to 4.5GHz with 1.4125V, while running P95 and IBT my temp reaches to 70C in just 2-3 mins., and sometimes it crashes, Ive only completed the test in IBT but 512MB memory used but it reaches 68C.
During the test I've tried to touch the base of my cooler (during 65-70C) and Ive noticed that the base is not too hot, feels like about 30-35C, but on HWMonitor shows that it already reached 65-70C, I'm sure that the HWM is correct coz I've checked on the Bios while in idle, it shows the same.
Ive also tried to reinstall the CPU cooler many times.

Questions:
1. Why does it shows a high temperature wer I still can touch the cpu cooler base plate?
2. What causes the temperature to hit that high?
3. How can I lower down the temperature.

My Specs,
CPU FX 6300
M/B ASUS M5A99FX Pro Rev 2.0
RAM 2x4gb 1600mhz Kingston Hyper X blue
CPU Cooler, Cooler Master TPC 812 push/pull
PSU Cougar SL 600 watts
VGA Sapphire R7 250
Cougar Challenger Casing

Thank you, hope to resolve my problem,coz I really wanted/needed my processor to be overclock.

Thank you again guyz.

Solution
1. That temp is the internal temp of the CPU, so that plate is not a good measure of temp. Anything above 60C is a bad idea.
2. The overclock. The FX CPUs get hot very quickly. Once overclocked it heats even quicker.
3. Right soooo : I think your CPU cooler should get better results.

Try reseating your cooler, making sure it is securely attached on the CPU.
Try dropping your voltage aswell.
Keep in mind that each and every CPU is different, it could be that you have hit some bad luck and you just have a hotter 6300.
1. That temp is the internal temp of the CPU, so that plate is not a good measure of temp. Anything above 60C is a bad idea.
2. The overclock. The FX CPUs get hot very quickly. Once overclocked it heats even quicker.
3. Right soooo : I think your CPU cooler should get better results.

Try reseating your cooler, making sure it is securely attached on the CPU.
Try dropping your voltage aswell.
Keep in mind that each and every CPU is different, it could be that you have hit some bad luck and you just have a hotter 6300.

Solution

cemerian

Honorable
Jul 29, 2013
once you start to overclock these fx chips the temps get out of hand very quickly,once it hits 62c its starts to throttle, a better cooler would help out alot, only ways of lowering temps is either dropping volts and in return mhz, or getting a better cooler

Jakelq

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014

Thanks for the reply,
Yeah thats what I'm thinking, maybe I got a bad chip, I've also tried running P95 with the default 3.5GHZ clock speed and it reaches 60C in 10mins,
Ive already tried reseating the CPU cooler many times, but its still the same.
How about the application of the Thermal Compound, is there any suggestion? Best thermal Compound? Can this help in lowering the temps.
Coz I'm only using the included thermal compound with my cooler.

Thanks again.

Jakelq

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014

Well for me, I think my cooler is enough, coz, after discontinuing the IBT and P95 test, the temps immediately drops from 70C to 40C in just 10-15secs.

Thank you