Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

$250 AMD or NVidia: PhysX or Mantle? Eyefinity or Surround?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 13, 2014 12:55:31 PM

Hello all,

I am currently deciding between the R9 270X 4GB and the similar GTX 760 4GB. Both provide ample power for my current needs.

Is PhysX a good reason to buy the GTX? Are there any downfalls to buying NVidia?

Am I correct in assuming Eyefinity and Surround are effectively the same? I am looking to buy 3 1920x1080 monitors soon, but not necessarily with this card purchase.

What about Mantle? Should I be factoring that into my decision?

Are there any other features of either brand I could use to help make my decision?
a b Î Nvidia
a b À AMD
January 13, 2014 1:00:36 PM

There are not many games that utilize PhysX. Mantle has yet to be utilized in the first game that it was supposed to support it; BF4. So I wouldn't let either determine your choice.

Eyefinity and Surround are pretty much the same; just different names such as Crossfire and SLI.

Upcoming tech for Nvidia would be G-Sync, and it already has ShadowPlay (not sure if AMD has created their own version or not yet).

That being said, as long as you intend on adding a second 4GB 760 (as you plan on playing on three monitors), I would go with the 760 as it is a hair faster. Although a GTX 770 (SLI in the future) would likely do better for a multi-monitor setup.
m
0
l
January 13, 2014 1:14:24 PM

If you plan on gaming in surround or eyefinity go with AMD. I love my 780, but the surround drivers are garbage.. With my old 7950 i could press windows+P and switch between extended and eyefinity in a snap (and it would save my resolution/extended mode preferences). However with Nvidea you have to go into the drivers, setup surround, there are programs you have to close before you continue (razer synapse for me), you have to adjust for bezels again, then you have to change the resolution in windows to the bezel corrected resolution you created. Then if you want to switch back you can windows+P but all of your monitors but one shut off, you then have to go setup your extended desktop again, and your Nvidea surround preferences arent saved. I thought i could look past it, but its such a pain.. Hopefully Nvidea will get that sorted out, but from what ive read about it, its not high on their list of priorities.

To use G-sync you have to have a G-sync enabled monitor..

Mantle is being shared by AMD so Nvidea will have the option to implement it. (if i remember correctly)

Everything is great about my 780 minus the surround drivers. I would say go with AMD if you can get a good price, but the 760 is also a great card.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
a b À AMD
January 13, 2014 1:21:42 PM

Eyefinity is more flexible than NVidia surround.
Physx and Mantle are more or less gimmicks
m
0
l
January 13, 2014 1:52:13 PM

Why are you switching in and out of surround and extended anyway? Nvidia has it setup so windows maximize on each monitor and not across all 3... Isn't that the only reason that you would switch out of surround anyway?
m
0
l
January 13, 2014 2:36:32 PM

Derza10 said:
Why are you switching in and out of surround and extended anyway? Nvidia has it setup so windows maximize on each monitor and not across all 3... Isn't that the only reason that you would switch out of surround anyway?


You're wrong.. When using surround or eyefinity your monitors are setup as 1 big display. With surround enabled everything full screens across all displays, just like eyefinity does, which is less than ideal when doing anything other then gaming.
m
0
l
January 13, 2014 3:14:18 PM

guitargod213 said:
Derza10 said:
Why are you switching in and out of surround and extended anyway? Nvidia has it setup so windows maximize on each monitor and not across all 3... Isn't that the only reason that you would switch out of surround anyway?


You're wrong.. When using surround or eyefinity your monitors are setup as 1 big display. With surround enabled everything full screens across all displays, just like eyefinity does, which is less than ideal when doing anything other then gaming.


I'm wrong? What? I have a surround setup and guess what... When I maximize my windows they maximize only on that monitor... Eyefinity does not have this ability though.. maybe you need to update drivers/look at your settings... I'm using windows 7, are you on 8 or something?
m
0
l
January 13, 2014 3:26:27 PM

Derza10 said:
guitargod213 said:
Derza10 said:
Why are you switching in and out of surround and extended anyway? Nvidia has it setup so windows maximize on each monitor and not across all 3... Isn't that the only reason that you would switch out of surround anyway?


You're wrong.. When using surround or eyefinity your monitors are setup as 1 big display. With surround enabled everything full screens across all displays, just like eyefinity does, which is less than ideal when doing anything other then gaming.


I'm wrong? What? I have a surround setup and guess what... When I maximize my windows they maximize only on that monitor... Eyefinity does not have this ability though.. maybe you need to update drivers/look at your settings... I'm using windows 7, are you on 8 or something?



Hmm. I'm on windows 7, and running the latest drivers. From everything I've read (and tried) there didn't seem to be a way to setup surround like that. Not trying to highjack the thread but how did you set up surround to do that? The only gripe I have with Nvidea drivers is the surround, and that would negate the need to switch between extended and surround.
m
0
l
January 17, 2014 12:34:57 PM

Just wanted to post an update and say to Derza10 that after a few days of searching I still haven't found how to do what you said. There are some scripts floating around that supposedly make it easier to switch, however they are for older driver versions. I found other people who said it just worked like that so I'm unsure how to set it up.
Edit: Found the option, under the drivers/desktop and although the "Maximize windows across all displays" is unchecked, windows still maximize across all screens. I'm going to reinstall drivers. Just wanted to let OP know that both surround and eyefinity are viable options..
m
0
l
May 12, 2014 4:14:20 PM

Go with Nvidia
PsyX is basically a gimmick while Mantle is actually useful in games that are SPECIFCALLY developed for AMD
Surround and Eyefinity are the same
m
0
l
!