802.11 b/g/n wifi adapter connection issue with router set up using mac

Chichikov

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
I'm using a new HP laptop with Windows 8.1 and am unable to connect to my wireless internet. It doesn't even give me the opportunity to enter the security key. When I troubleshoot through both HP and Windows both seem to indicate an issue with my wifi adapter settings. Some googling about the issue leads me to believe it's the adapter which is 802.11 b/g/n but needs to be AC as the router was initially set up using a mac.

Does anyone know how I'd go about changing the correct settings either on the mac or on my own laptop? As long as it'd result in both laptops being able to connect of course.

All apple products seems to work such as ipods, iphones and obviously the mac which is what leads me to believe that it is the method used in setting the router up that is the problem.

Apologies if what some of I say doesn't make sense as technology is a mystery to my mind.

Chichikov

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
I'm living in Jordan at the minute so it is an Umniah umax router. The back says it is a Wimax indoor CPE and the model is SWC-9200(3.5g) if they're of any use to you. Thanks for any help!

casper1973

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012
I'm not familiar with that router and struggling to find a guide written in English.

What we need to do is find the IP address of the router and the admin password. This may be written on the bottom/back of the device which could save time.

For the IP address connect the Ethernet cable and open a command prompt. Type: ipconfig
You will get a list of IP addresses. The Default Gateway should be your router and something like 192.168.1.1

Open a web browser and type this into the address bar. You should get a login page. I think the default is:
User name: admin
Password: admin
But not 100% sure. The password might be password

If you manage to log in look for a menu called Wireless, WLAN, Wifi etc. Look for what type of encryption is being used (WEP, WPA, WPA2 etc) and also what wireless modes (b, g ,n etc).

Does this look like your router? http://www.seowonintech.co.kr/en/product/detail.asp?num=123&big_kind=B04&middle_kind=B04_06

Chichikov

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
Yes that's the exact same router. Unfortunately the Ethernet cable isn't working today either. When I troubleshoot it says 'windows could not automatically detect this network's proxy settings'.

I'm using the iPod and the wifi settings have the DNS as 192.168.3.1

When I type iconfig into the command prompt I get :

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Link local IPv6 Address: fe80::285d:2f07:ba24:5ff7%13
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address : 169.254.95.247
Subnet mask:255.255.0.0

Everything else is either blank or says media disconnected.

I appreciate your help.

Chichikov

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
The wifi is 802.11g WEP and I've found out that the user ID and password are both 'user' but I can't connect to any site to enter it. I have a manual which says to type in 193.168.3.1 but it doesn't work.

casper1973

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012

This is potentially where your problems are coming from.

Windows 8 does not support WEP with shared key authentication as Microsoft deemed it too insecure.

WEP with open key authentication is still fully supported as this is slightly more secure.

If you can find out what type of WEP is used we might find the solution. Ideally you should use WPA/WPA2 with AES if that is an option.

You should be able to access the router config page from your iPad or Mac but typing 192.168.3.1 into the browser (Safari). I only asked you to do it from the Windows 8 system as I'm not very familiar with Macs.

Still not sure why Ethernet connection would stop working. The IP 169.254.95.247 that you were getting is the default Auto-configuration IPv4 Address for Windows. This means you aren't getting an IP address assigned from the router.