Sign in with
Your question
Solved

1155 Socket, Z-chipset, Sli MATX Motherboard possible?

Last response: in Motherboards
January 13, 2014 1:36:35 PM

Hey,

I'm planning a build with the following features:

Micro-ATX
Overclocked (Watercooled)
GTX 770 SLI (2 x 3.0x16)
i5 3570k (Socket 1155) - heard performance of 3570k OCed is better than the 4670k OCed
the MB has to be black/dark (secondary colours are only allowed to be white/gold/brown)... yes I've got a colour scheme :p 

I've been looking for a decent motherboard and hitting a few brick walls, I've read that socket 1155 is not possible for 3.0x16 sli as there is not enough bandwidth..

I've found that this contradicts this: http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77%20Extreme4-M/

sanity check but am I missing something? or was it only Sandybridge that had bandwidth issues?

Any suggestions are also welcome, but I think the Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 MATX is the only one that meets my criteria.

Best solution

a c 1118 V Motherboard
January 13, 2014 1:48:14 PM

Clock for clock the Haswell still has better performance. What you may have heard is it is possible to get a higher overclock on the 3570K with the same cooling.
Sandy bridge did not support PCIe ver 3.0 but Ivy bridge does. In any case it would only be the most powerful cards that would benefit (yet to see a review that either confirms or proofs wrong) in dual setups in 3.0 slots. R9 290 or GTX780 and up.
January 14, 2014 4:09:14 AM

rolli59 said:
Clock for clock the Haswell still has better performance. What you may have heard is it is possible to get a higher overclock on the 3570K with the same cooling.
Sandy bridge did not support PCIe ver 3.0 but Ivy bridge does. In any case it would only be the most powerful cards that would benefit (yet to see a review that either confirms or proofs wrong) in dual setups in 3.0 slots. R9 290 or GTX780 and up.

I assume you are trying to make a point that duel GTX770 is not worth getting as bang for buck £480 is better spend on a single card? Note I'm not starting off with SLI, just making my system upgradable to SLI for in a years time or so when my machine starts getting old.
m
l
a c 1118 V Motherboard
January 14, 2014 6:12:34 AM

dave85uk said:
rolli59 said:

I assume you are trying to make a point that duel GTX770 is not worth getting as bang for buck £480 is better spend on a single card? Note I'm not starting off with SLI, just making my system upgradable to SLI for in a years time or so when my machine starts getting old.

Far from it I would recommend dual GTX770 as a very good solution but it will run almost equally well in PCIe ver 2.0 or 3.0! What I was saying the more powerful cards 780(Ti) 290(X) are the only ones that possibly get bottlenecked by PCIe ver 2.0 if run in Dual setup.
Here is an old test using then high end cards like GTX680 that is similar to GTX770 http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Ivy_Bridge_PCI... yet to see similar comparison on the new high end!
m
l
!