Would a 780 WOW me coming from a 7970 clocked at 1150 at stock volts?

weehamish

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
As the title says, i could probably get more out my 7970 but am not seeing much change in fps in games from stock 925 to 1150 :\

Also i have the Asus DCU2 which is pretty much silent.

Who has done such an upgrade?

weehamish

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
I dont really care for physx, but i find nvidia cards just run games better 9/10.

I dont mind having my 7970 as it was a better choice over the 680 but i would of preferred the 780.

20% isnt enough to fork out £200 for really, think ill hold on to this and see what mantle brings along.

rothingham

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2012
I wouldn't recommend such an upgrade.
As 17seconds said, it's only about 20% faster. Which isn't that good of a deal, given the price tag of a 780.
And unless you're playing on resolutions higher than 1080p, a 7970 pretty maxes out most games at 60fps (right?).
I would at least wait for the next gen nvidia cards for an upgrade.
But hey, if you got money to burn, I'd say go for it.
Although you might consider a 780Ti then.

Yeah, if you're getting 60 FPS on a game, 15-20% more is going to be ~70 FPS... not enough to make a difference in your games. The only time it would come in handy is if you were playing something like Crysis 3 that was barely running playable framerates at full settings, then the extra oomph might make the difference in playability.

weehamish

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
What about minimums?

I play AC4 and its 60 fps most of the time, but if i fight 5 ships at the same time it will dip down into the 40s and i can feel it jerking when the fps is dipping.

Happens with farcry 3 too, they use the same engine so not sure if its them games or my card.

Rome 2 is also a mess fps wise but we all know what a mess that game is lol!

jb6684

Distinguished
I faced a similar dilemma (I had a 7970 & wanted more FPS) I just bought an R9 280X and now CrossFire the pair. Rock just about every game out there.... (I'm guessing you Already own a 7970 ?? )

If you Don't already own a 7970, then I'd be comparing the GTX780 to a new 290 as it would be a closer competitor...

weehamish

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
I dont wanna crossfire the card i have is super silent and has a nice backplate :d

Ive had xfire and sli in the past and its still crap these days imo, it is better but not worth the hassle specially as half the games dont even support it :\

Suppose ill wait for the next gen cards see what they bring, 400 on an oldish 780 now seems like a bad idea

jb6684

Distinguished
Yeah, I try to wait for the new generation card to be at least twice as fast as the old one before I pull the trigger on an upgrade. (I replaced 5870's in CF with that single 7970Ghz Edition was definitely faster in all case than the CF pair...)

Then I added the R9 280X once they had the frame pacing fixed up a bit. While definitely faster (when CF is supported) didn't double the speed.....

If you can sell your 7970 to some miner for an exorbitant price, why not. Cheap or maybe even free upgrade. And if you get an EVGA card, they have the step up program for yet another cheap upgrade. Plus free games maybe.

I'm also anticipating Mantle but then only a few games will be using it for some time, and it will probably only shine like the second coming of Jesus when the CPU is being a bottleneck. It will be fantastic in RTS and AI/physics heavy games that can put tremendous load on the CPU.

Or you can just wait if you are not urgent for an upgrade. When Maxwell comes out it should make existing stuff cheaper.