Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Should i Pick Haswell or Ivy Bridge?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
January 13, 2014 6:10:59 PM

this is my system :

WDC 1TB SATA3 64MB - Caviar Blue - WD10EZEX
Apacer DDR3 PC12800 1600Mhz 4GB - Armor CL9
Sapphire Radeon HD7790 GHz Edition 1G GDDR5 OC VERSION
Corsair CX Series 500W - Bronze

so my question is : should i buy haswell or ivybridge CPU? if i bought the haswell one, the motherboard still have PCIE 2.0, but if i get ivy bridge i can get PCIE 3.0

this question came up because i can't afford b85m motherboard which support PCIE 3.0 for haswell, and i scared about performance loss because off PCIE 2.0 in h81m

if haswell i will buy :
Intel Core i3-4130 3.4 Ghz - Cache 3MB [Box] Socket LGA 1150 - Haswell Series
MSI H81M-E33 (LGA1150, H81, DDR3)

if ivy bridge i will buy :
Intel Core i3 3240 3.4Ghz Cache 3MB [Box] Socket LGA 1155
ASRock B75M-DGS R2.0

so what do you think?
a b à CPUs
January 13, 2014 6:12:41 PM

Haswell :D  You could upgrade in the future with the new released broadwell chips with the same socket :D  so go with haswell
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
January 13, 2014 6:13:38 PM

Haswell should be 10% faster than ivy bridge but the ivy bridge still runs super fast. Its up to you. If you have a z77 motherboard i would not recommend switching a whole new motherboard for the haswell
m
0
l
Related resources
January 13, 2014 6:16:18 PM

Adrian Ocampo said:
Haswell :D  You could upgrade in the future with the new released broadwell chips with the same socket :D  so go with haswell


but i can only afford H81m motherboard, it still have PCIE 2.0.

isn't PCIE 2.0 gonna make my 7790 OC performance drop?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
January 13, 2014 6:17:17 PM

Andre Chrisyudha said:
Adrian Ocampo said:
Haswell :D  You could upgrade in the future with the new released broadwell chips with the same socket :D  so go with haswell


but i can only afford H81m motherboard, it still have PCIE 2.0.

isn't PCIE 2.0 gonna make my 7790 OC performance drop?


your pci-e 2.0 is defeniently gonna bottleneck a few things
m
0
l
January 13, 2014 6:19:24 PM

EvgaLover said:
Andre Chrisyudha said:
Adrian Ocampo said:
Haswell :D  You could upgrade in the future with the new released broadwell chips with the same socket :D  so go with haswell


but i can only afford H81m motherboard, it still have PCIE 2.0.

isn't PCIE 2.0 gonna make my 7790 OC performance drop?


your pci-e 2.0 is defeniently gonna bottleneck a few things


yeah, that's why I'm still confuse in choosing between them. have a best solution?

choose Ivy + PCIE 3.0 or Haswell + PCIE 2.0
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
January 13, 2014 6:20:41 PM

Andre Chrisyudha said:
EvgaLover said:
Andre Chrisyudha said:
Adrian Ocampo said:
Haswell :D  You could upgrade in the future with the new released broadwell chips with the same socket :D  so go with haswell


but i can only afford H81m motherboard, it still have PCIE 2.0.

isn't PCIE 2.0 gonna make my 7790 OC performance drop?


your pci-e 2.0 is defeniently gonna bottleneck a few things


yeah, that's why I'm still confuse in choosing between them. have a best solution?

choose Ivy + PCIE 3.0 or Haswell + PCIE 2.0

defeniently ivy + pci-e 3.0. Can recommend i5 3570 and i5 3570k. K version is for when you want to overclock but there is almost no difference on the price between non-K and K so i would recommend i5 3570k
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
January 13, 2014 6:21:44 PM

If your current setup is still functioning try saving a couple more bucks :D . Thats just me, but yeah firstly i3 chips can introduce bottleneck already with the 7790. If you want PCIE 3.0 then go with ivy bridge if thats the only budget you can come up with :D .
m
0
l
January 13, 2014 6:33:32 PM

EvgaLover said:

defeniently ivy + pci-e 3.0. Can recommend i5 3570 and i5 3570k. K version is for when you want to overclock but there is almost no difference on the price between non-K and K so i would recommend i5 3570k


Adrian Ocampo said:
If your current setup is still functioning try saving a couple more bucks :D . Thats just me, but yeah firstly i3 chips can introduce bottleneck already with the 7790. If you want PCIE 3.0 then go with ivy bridge if thats the only budget you can come up with :D .


i can't afford i5 :(  , does i3 really that bad for 7790? i mainly use my pc for gaming
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
January 13, 2014 6:38:14 PM

i5 can be a big difference in terms of how your gpu will perform. GPU and CPU perform hand in hand together to have better fps in terms of gaming.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
January 13, 2014 6:39:45 PM

The i3 processors are garbage for gaming.
m
0
l
January 13, 2014 6:43:26 PM

Adrian Ocampo said:
i5 can be a big difference in terms of how your gpu will perform. GPU and CPU perform hand in hand together to have better fps in terms of gaming.


in case of buy i3 + 7790, how much fps drop i can get?
m
0
l
January 13, 2014 7:29:30 PM

Adrian Ocampo said:
from this, not much of a difference. Although i cant vouch for their benchmarks, there are numerous benchmarks out there the measures the difference of pcie 2.0 vs 3.0 :D  so you might want to check thme out.

http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Impact-of-PCI...


I think I will save a little money for a while, and take 4130 with h85m motherboard that support PCIE 3.0

as far as i search, i3 4130 didnt bottleneck that much.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-o...

in that review, i5 claim can play skyrim in 91 FPS, in the other side i3 can play them in 74.
i think 17FPS difference is tolerable with $60 difference.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
January 13, 2014 7:31:16 PM

instead of an i3 have you considered the 6 core fx 6300, and a 970 AMD mobo? The 7790 is fine on pci 2.0, it's not even close to bottlenecking the bandwidth

I wouldn't get a dual core these days. The new consoles are using 8 core AMD cpus so stuff is going to start using more cores/threads, ala Crysis 3,BF4.
m
0
l
January 13, 2014 8:01:26 PM

isn't i3 have a hyperthreading dual core? it have 2 logical core per physical core, so it's like quadcore.

i also considered FX6300 once, but some magz I read claim i3 4130 and FX6300 have an almost same performance.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
January 14, 2014 5:10:28 AM

DO NOT GET A I3 they suck at gaming man. Everyone is telling you that in so many words. IF ANYTHING get the fx6300. The i3 are terrible for gaming any way you slice it.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
January 14, 2014 10:53:34 AM

I've noticed that everybody always seem to rave about the i3, which I never cared for at its pricepoint...but, everybody raves about it claiming it's good....but how MANY people out there say not to get the i7 over the i5 because the "hyperthreading is useless in gaming"

but yet they claim it's good enough for a dual core cpu in 2014 when the new consoles are using 8 core cpus?

I wouldn't. At least get the 6 core fx 6300.

You need more ram too, 4gb really isn't optimum for gaming.
m
0
l
January 14, 2014 10:00:12 PM

yeah I know that future gaming will use a more core.

but as far as I seen in benchmark test & video. not that much of difference can be seen http://www.techspot.com/review/734-battlefield-4-benchm...

but here's also my reason choosing i3 :

1. Have LGA 1150 socket (which have good upgrade path later)
2. Lower Power Consumption ( I can only afford a 500w PSU)

yeah 4gb isn't enough for hard gaming, i will upgrade it soon :) 

wait2 I will considering FX 6300 again, and make build.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
January 14, 2014 10:24:46 PM

500w power supply is enough for a 6300
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
January 14, 2014 10:39:50 PM

Andre Chrisyudha said:
yeah I know that future gaming will use a more core.

but as far as I seen in benchmark test & video. not that much of difference can be seen http://www.techspot.com/review/734-battlefield-4-benchm...

but here's also my reason choosing i3 :

1. Have LGA 1150 socket (which have good upgrade path later)
2. Lower Power Consumption ( I can only afford a 500w PSU)

yeah 4gb isn't enough for hard gaming, i will upgrade it soon :) 

wait2 I will considering FX 6300 again, and make build.


I would caution you about your first point, I don't think you have a good upgrade path. LGA 1150 will be on Haswell and Broadwell only. Broadwell will be LGA 1150, but there is some doubt over whether Intel will offer a full lineup of Broadwell chips for desktops. Haswell is, however, getting a refresh this year. Because of this, an upgrade CPU will very likely be something that is quite similar to what is available today. And Intel does not lower the price of their CPUs over time - just search for Ivy Bridge CPUs - so that you will also likely pay down the line what you would of had to of paid today.

So lets say you want to upgrade to an i5 in the future. There may be no equivalent Broadwell, but you'll have the option of getting a refreshed 4670 (it will be called 4690). If you do this in a year and a half, where does that leave you? You would of had a 4130 during that time, and when you make the jump you would of spent in total more then if you got a 4770K now, but it would be for a 4690. The next generation after Haswell and Broadwell will be Skylake which will not use LGA 1150, so you would not be able to upgrade to the latest CPU in say 2017.

The way I see it, if the i5's are more than you want to spend now, go with the AMD system like others have said as it will give you a better value. If you are willing/can absorb the higher price of the i5, you can avoid having the i3 altogether, and avoid having spent ultimately i7 prices on an i5.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
January 14, 2014 10:42:35 PM

^ listen to this guy's advice OP
m
0
l
January 14, 2014 11:10:04 PM

Specops125 said:
Andre Chrisyudha said:
yeah I know that future gaming will use a more core.

but as far as I seen in benchmark test & video. not that much of difference can be seen http://www.techspot.com/review/734-battlefield-4-benchm...

but here's also my reason choosing i3 :

1. Have LGA 1150 socket (which have good upgrade path later)
2. Lower Power Consumption ( I can only afford a 500w PSU)

yeah 4gb isn't enough for hard gaming, i will upgrade it soon :) 

wait2 I will considering FX 6300 again, and make build.


I would caution you about your first point, I don't think you have a good upgrade path. LGA 1150 will be on Haswell and Broadwell only. Broadwell will be LGA 1150, but there is some doubt over whether Intel will offer a full lineup of Broadwell chips for desktops. Haswell is, however, getting a refresh this year. Because of this, an upgrade CPU will very likely be something that is quite similar to what is available today. And Intel does not lower the price of their CPUs over time - just search for Ivy Bridge CPUs - so that you will also likely pay down the line what you would of had to of paid today.

So lets say you want to upgrade to an i5 in the future. There may be no equivalent Broadwell, but you'll have the option of getting a refreshed 4670 (it will be called 4690). If you do this in a year and a half, where does that leave you? You would of had a 4130 during that time, and when you make the jump you would of spent in total more then if you got a 4770K now, but it would be for a 4690. The next generation after Haswell and Broadwell will be Skylake which will not use LGA 1150, so you would not be able to upgrade to the latest CPU in say 2017.

The way I see it, if the i5's are more than you want to spend now, go with the AMD system like others have said as it will give you a better value. If you are willing/can absorb the higher price of the i5, you can avoid having the i3 altogether, and avoid having spent ultimately i7 prices on an i5.


WhiteSnake91 said:
^ listen to this guy's advice OP


i see your point there, so basically you mean Buy i5 or FX6300. because buy i3 and waiting for upgrade later is gonna make me spend more $ ?

last question, which processor (AMD FX6300 or Intel 4130) have a worse temperature?



m
0
l
a b à CPUs
January 14, 2014 11:58:05 PM

Yes, exactly.

I'm not sure which runs hotter, but based on the FX 6300 having 6 cores and requiring 95W's, compared to the i3 4130's 2 cores and 54W need, I'd say the FX 6300 runs quite a bit warmer. If you are not overclocking the AMD, the stock CPU cooler should be ok (though aftermarket could at least get it quieter for you even if you don't really need the greater cooling). If you overclock you will definitely want something aftermarket though.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
January 15, 2014 12:19:37 AM

the intel stock cooler on my 3570k was garbage, you're going to want a hyper 212 evo unless you want the stock cooler to be jet engine loud while playing a game lol.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
January 18, 2014 9:30:26 PM

Andre Chrisyudha said:
this question came up because i can't afford b85m motherboard which support PCIE 3.0 for haswell, and i scared about performance loss because off PCIE 2.0 in h81m

if haswell i will buy :
Intel Core i3-4130 3.4 Ghz - Cache 3MB [Box] Socket LGA 1150 - Haswell Series
MSI H81M-E33 (LGA1150, H81, DDR3)

if ivy bridge i will buy :
Intel Core i3 3240 3.4Ghz Cache 3MB [Box] Socket LGA 1155
ASRock B75M-DGS R2.0

I'm actually going to buy the cheapest motherboard out there, a ASRock H71M-DGS. It's actually H61 chipset but with PCIe 3.0. It doesn't have SATA 6GB/s but then for the 1TB harddisk that you and I are using, the old SATA 3GB/s is good enough unless you plan to upgrade to SSD later. The motherboard also doesn't have USB 3.0 which I don't really need. It all saves money because Haswell processors are still expensive.

For this budget I will just get the Ivy Bridge i3-3240. Haswell motherboards will be a dead socket as future architectures will not use LGA 1150. 5 years later, you still can "upgrade" to the highest end Ivy Bridge i7 CPU from a second-hand seller.
Share
!