£600 gaming (1080p) / Photoshop Build Advice Please!

slugz

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013
Hi all

It's been a while since I've looked at hardware options, so I'm afraid I need a lot of advice! Info is all below! I've had a look for advice online, but there's a massive amount of opinions about what is and isn't good, especially when it comes to gaming!

Is it possible to get a system that will game well at 1080p for the next 3 years without upgrades at this budget? Also is it possible to compete with next gen consoles with this budget? As I said im very out of the loop with hardware, so all advice is appreciated!

Approximate Purchase Date:Within a month

Budget Range:£600

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming at 1080p, Photoshop (photo processing, nothing graphical), general internet etc

Are you buying a monitor: No. I have a monitor for photo editing already, and will be gaming through a TV.

Parts to Upgrade: Nothing

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Ideally www.scan.co.uk ( I plan to use their finance option)

Location: City, State/Region, Country - UK (Northern Ireland)

Parts Preferences: by brand or type: No real preference

Overclocking:Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution:Gaming on 40" 1080p TV

Additional Comments: Ideally fairly portable and a reasonable size (will be moved to TV for gaming in the evenings)

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I currently use a laptop plugged into an external display for photo editing, but I need a more powerful solution. Also Im a huge gamer (currently xbox 360), and I figured that I may as well go for a PC rather than a next gen console this time, and kill 2 birds with one stone!

PepitoTV

Honorable
Oct 10, 2013
Here's a suggestion:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor (£83.56 @ Scan.co.uk)
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard (£67.16 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£65.76 @ Scan.co.uk)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£45.20 @ Scan.co.uk)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card (£239.14 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£38.65 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£49.86 @ Scan.co.uk)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£12.50 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £601.83
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-14 23:23 GMT+0000)

slugz

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013
Thanks for the input guys. So if I was to go for either of the above 2 builds, how would they fare in a couple of years? Will they still keep up without upgrade?

Also is an AMD a better bet than an Intel i3? I dont know the ins and outs myself, but there are people who will swear that you need an intel in a gaming build? Is this the case?

bluehowell

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
An i3 is much more expensive than the fx 6300 so to keep in the budget you would have to reduce the graphics card. The graphics card is much more important for gaming than the CPU so AMD is a good choice for gaming. Both builds are great for gaming so will not need to be upgraded for a good few years

slugz

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013
A colleague has been kind enough to give me a Coolermaster 600W PSU! He says it's a few years old, and has been sitting in its box for the last 4, but that it should work. Will this do for this build? I'm not sure of the model number, but its a 600W "green" supply. I'll post a pic of the box when I get home. Is there any reason why it wouldn't be compatible?