i5 4440 or i3 3240?

lpitt333

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
I am getting new desktop for my home office. Use mostly Quickbooks 2014, ms office, multiple internet windows at a time and email (no gaming). I am planning on purchasing a windows 7 desktop and want it to last at least 5 years. Is the i3 3240 processor fast enough or should I pay $100 more for the I5 4440?

Solution
if it's only for home office, since OP specifically stated NO gaming, get the i3, you don't want to be wasting money where you don't need it, an i3 has all the power necessary for an office computer for many years, just email, office functions like excel and word, and web pages don't require too much processing power and so you don't need to go overboard with an i5

I would recommend getting an i3 4xxx series though, just to be up to date

At my house we have a 5 year old Athlon x2 dual core that's still going strong, CPUs can last a lifetime for the average user, it's the other hardware like hard drives that go first
if it's only for home office, since OP specifically stated NO gaming, get the i3, you don't want to be wasting money where you don't need it, an i3 has all the power necessary for an office computer for many years, just email, office functions like excel and word, and web pages don't require too much processing power and so you don't need to go overboard with an i5

I would recommend getting an i3 4xxx series though, just to be up to date

At my house we have a 5 year old Athlon x2 dual core that's still going strong, CPUs can last a lifetime for the average user, it's the other hardware like hard drives that go first

Solution