Solved

Can someone tell me the difference between Intel CPUs

Ivy bridge, Sandy bridge and Haswell

Also whats the best i3 for gaming? Thanks
24 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about difference intel cpus
  1. Haswell since it is about 3-7% better clock for clock than Ivy which is 3-7% better than Sandy.
  2. rolli59 said:
    Haswell since it is about 3-7% better clock for clock than Ivy which is 3-7% better than Sandy.


    Im thinking about selling my amd cpu. I want to be able to have a better upgrade path now. I was bummed to hear amd is only going to be focusing on APUs on wont be bringing new technology to the FX processors

    What would be the best upgrade path for intel?

    And whats an Intel equivalant mobo of the ASUS M5A97 r2.0?
  3. Haswell is newest and if OC is in the picture with a "K" CPU a Z87 board is a must. http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/motherboard/#c=89&sort=a8
  4. rolli59 said:
    Haswell is newest and if OC is in the picture with a "K" CPU a Z87 board is a must. http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/motherboard/#c=89&sort=a8


    Thanks, ill check that out. My memory might serve me wrong but arnt people saying Haswell does OC as well as ivy or sandy??
  5. It is averaging out, (o/c) but there are still some bad clocking chips coming out. Having said that, most games seem to run well on haswell anyway. Less low points. A i5 4430 at 3.2 gig plays within 1 frame per second of a 4770 at its stock clocks, so whatever oclock you get is just a bonus.
  6. What socket has the better upgrade path in the futur

    1150 or 1155?
  7. The CPU heat spreader is attached differently causing less effective thermal transfer on the Haswell.
  8. 1155 is in EOL, 1150 is the current socket!
  9. Do you think id be able to trade my 6300 and the m5a97 r2.0 for a i3 3220 and the z87 mobo?

    EDIT: I see you said 1150 is current socket. Im so confused

    I just want to trade and i have no clue what i3 to get for now. I would upgrade to an i5 later this year. Help??
  10. Don't get an i3. It it wont even be an upgrade current CPU. Why do you want to go intel so badly? Just upgrade your CPU to an 8320 and forget about wasting money on a motherboard AND reinstalling windows.
  11. I3 4xxx http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/cpu/#m=21&s=11&k=24 which is Haswell about trading I do not know but selling your board and CPU on ebay or other auction site would most likely end in loss of money.
  12. You can pretty much guarantee that you will lose 15-30% selling your current parts.
  13. tiny voices said:
    You can pretty much guarantee that you will lose 15-30% selling your current parts.


    Im aware of that. I was take 30% as the high point. Which is fine. Maybe ill just save up for an i5 and a 770 for this summer then instead of an i3 right now
  14. but WHY? Just get an 8320. It will EASILY max ANY game for a long time. it even BEATS some i5s. It can be EASILY overclocked VERY high and trump most I5s depending on some games. Why do you want intel so badly? You usually just trash it in the member system gallery.
  15. tiny voices said:
    but WHY? Just get an 8320. It will EASILY max ANY game for a long time. it even BEATS some i5s. It can be EASILY overclocked VERY high and trump most I5s depending on some games. Why do you want intel so badly? You usually just trash it in the member system gallery.


    Cause im afraid if i get an 8320 that TDP along with an upgrade to a 770 will be to much for my 600w PSU. And i dont want to have to replace that
  16. No, a 600w PSU will be more than enough for an overclocked 8320 AND a 770. The gtx770 pulls MAX 197w under FULL 100% load.

    Plus that is a worthless point to make anyway as you will be spending 'new PSU' money, and then some, on an intel motherboard.
  17. tiny voices said:
    No, a 600w PSU will be more than enough for an overclocked 8320 AND a 770. The gtx770 pulls MAX 197w under FULL 100% load.


    Ah ok. Thanks for that!

    Maybe if i can sell my 6300 for around 90-100$ i can easily buy the rest for an 8320.

    You think i could get 90$ for my 6300?

    EDIT: And i could just sell my mobo to lol, so its not that big of a deal if someone did buy it :D
  18. Best answer
    It is possible. I would ask $90 and take $80 if it got offered.

    An 8320 will be perfect for you and it will easily handle a 770 or even two. It is a VERY good CPU and overclocks VERY well, it will max all games easily for years.
  19. tiny voices said:
    It is possible. I would ask $90 and take $80 if it got offered.

    An 8320 will be perfect for you and it will easily handle a 770 or even two. It is a VERY good CPU and overclocks VERY well, it will max all games easily for years.


    Thanks

    Would you be wary of buying a used CPU? Any chances of buying one used?
  20. Also, selling a gtx760 to just lose money on it and then spend more money on a 770 is pointless for not a very large performance gain. You should keep the 760 as it is plenty to play all games at high settings and save for 6-8 months then sell it for a 780ti or something like that.
  21. MDXX said:
    tiny voices said:
    It is possible. I would ask $90 and take $80 if it got offered.

    An 8320 will be perfect for you and it will easily handle a 770 or even two. It is a VERY good CPU and overclocks VERY well, it will max all games easily for years.


    Thanks

    Would you be wary of buying a used CPU? Any chances of buying one used?


    I bout this i5 used on the crazy cheap. Hit up amazon.com and see what people are selling used.
  22. tiny voices said:
    MDXX said:
    tiny voices said:
    It is possible. I would ask $90 and take $80 if it got offered.

    An 8320 will be perfect for you and it will easily handle a 770 or even two. It is a VERY good CPU and overclocks VERY well, it will max all games easily for years.


    Thanks

    Would you be wary of buying a used CPU? Any chances of buying one used?


    I bout this i5 used on the crazy cheap. Hit up amazon.com and see what people are selling used.


    You bought it on the crazy cheap? What is that? Thanks i will check out amazon
  23. I bought it from a friend's dad who recycles dead computer parts and this i5 came in to him working. I bought it for $85.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Gaming Sandy Bridge Intel Systems