Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Upgrading from 2.13GHz Core 2 Duo to 3GHz Core 2 Quad...

Last response: in CPUs
Share
January 14, 2014 7:02:50 PM

I'm strongly thinking about upgrading from my slow 2.13GHz Core 2 Duo E6400 (I have a LGA 775 Asus P5B deluxe motherboard- not going to upgrade that for maybe another 2 years) to a 3GHz Core 2 Quad. With the rest of my computer specs, will this be worth it? I do a decent amount of video editing on Sony Vegas Pro 12, and gaming as well- and I currently get CPU bottlenecks on both.

I have 6GB RAM and a 2GB GeForce GT 640- and like I said earlier Asus P5B deluxe motherboard.

I don't see why I shouldn't, the 3GHz processor I'm looking at:
http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Q9650-Processor-Socket-LGA7...
a b à CPUs
January 14, 2014 7:08:40 PM

tossing 200 bucks on a dead platform makes no sense. .................... that's a quad i5 you're spending. twice as fast as what you have.....................
m
0
l
January 14, 2014 7:16:59 PM

A dead platform? It very much works for myself currently. I understand what you are saying, but I cannot put enough in to buy a full new system right now.

When you say twice as fast as what I have, do you mean the quad i5 or the processor I'm getting (cause, I understand that I could get a Quad i5, I just can't afford the new hard drive, RAM, motherboard (especially one up to the standards that I have right now), etc...

Edit: And I should point out that all the components except the motherboard and the core2 duo were new a year and a half ago. I got the motherboard free from a family member.
m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b à CPUs
January 14, 2014 7:17:41 PM

Yes your motherboard does have support for the Core 2 Quad CPUs (check your bios and upgrade if you have too first though it probably doesnt need it)

Also, does your motherboard allow for overclocking? Even still, a CPU like a Q6600 might be a better chioce (http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Q6600-Quad-Core-Processor-C...) for only $65 used instead of $170 used for Q9650, if your motherboard allows overclocking it can be overclocked to similar speeds as Q9650.
Share
January 14, 2014 7:20:29 PM

aloof11 said:
Yes your motherboard does have support for the Core 2 Quad CPUs (check your bios and upgrade if you have too first though it probably doesnt need it)

Also, does your motherboard allow for overclocking? Even still, a CPU like a Q6600 might be a better chioce (http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Q6600-Quad-Core-Processor-C...) for only $65 used instead of $170 used for Q9650, if your motherboard allows overclocking it can be overclocked to similar speeds as Q9650.


Actually, I just linked to Amazon to show the product- I can get the CPU from a friend for around $100- and it saves me the hassle of overclocking since I don't have a complicated cooling system.

m
0
l
a b à CPUs
January 14, 2014 7:24:19 PM

Then i dont see the problem in your upgrade (not to mention you can sell the CPU you currently use thus you end up with a Q9650 for <$100)
m
0
l
January 14, 2014 7:25:43 PM

Any tips for selling a CPU? How to box it up? Should I post on Craigslist, then maybe ebay?

aloof11 said:
Then i dont see the problem in your upgrade (not to mention you can sell the CPU you currently use thus you end up with a Q9650 for <$100)


m
0
l
a b à CPUs
January 14, 2014 7:32:02 PM

I normally sell on ebay (sells quite fast most of the time), you can buy CPU trays to hold the CPU securely or you can just improvise, also using anti static bags to enclose the CPU in is a good idea (you can buy anti static bags for a few dollars online)

The E6400 isnt worth much but after the upgrade you wont need it anyway
m
0
l
January 14, 2014 7:35:22 PM

aloof11 said:
I normally sell on ebay (sells quite fast most of the time), you can buy CPU trays to hold the CPU securely or you can just improvise, also using anti static bags to enclose the CPU in is a good idea (you can buy anti static bags for a few dollars online)


Thanks. I'm going to go ahead and pick the processor up tomorrow and try it out. If I sell my old processor, I really won't be spending that much on this one anyway... I feel it's worth it now.
m
0
l
!