FX-8320 CPU fan running at 5,000 rpm with nothing open?

kurtis2821

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2014
Hey guys i recently bought a FX-8320 CPU, 8 gigs of RAM, a GIGABYTE GA-78LMT-USB3 AM3+ mobo, and a Rosewill RNX-N300X IEEE wireless adapter. I was super excited to hook everything up. However i did not know that i had to completely re-install windows 7. So i took my PC to my local "geek squad" computer store and asked them to help me. They took my computer and did a fresh install of windows 7 and updated all drivers. I just got it back today and i noticed something weird when i first hooked it up. The CPU fan was VERY loud. I checked the temps and they are all fine but my CPU fan is running at ~5000 rpm with nothing but the internet and HW Monitor open. I checked my bios and i have not found any way to manually change my CPU fan speed.

Also, I watch Twitch.tv quite a bit so i opened up a stream a little bit ago. My CPU fan jumped to over 6000 RPM and i couldn't even watch a stream. I even tried it on the lowest settings.

I would greatly appreciate any help that anyone could provide for either of these subjects. Thanks in advance!

kurtis2821

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2014

Yes it is a stock cooler and it is the cpu cooler. I have seen many people saying that the stock cooler is really loud on the 8320 but 5,000 rpm while watching a video?

And do you know what would be causing my twitch.tv problem? The video will play fine for about 30 seconds and then the cpu fan revs up to over 6,000 and it just stops and tries to load the video.

Yep I knew you would say that I have great internet as well and get like 40 mb per sec here but I have buffering at times as well it could be a lot of people on at one time the sites you go to may be experiencing high demand at that time just a simple cpu change and board and your speeds are slower is iffy do you have other programs running while your streaming all this makes a difference in your bandwith..

GO TO WWW.SPEAKEASY.NET AND RUN A TEST when this happens also if your using a router it may not be up to par also the modem our isp provide are not the best have you replaced it with a good Motorola? ect

kurtis2821

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2014

The thing is that this NEVER happened until i upgraded my computer. I used to have an on board wifi chip but i replaced that with the Rosewill that i said the the description. Could that be the problem? I dont have any other programs open but one tab of the internet on twitch.tv and it jumps to about 6000 rpm. But my download speeds have increased by almost double so i do not see how that could be the problem.

Don't your board have a Ethernet cable plug in? to hook it up and test your speeds when it comes to wi fi your not going to get even close to hard wired and I am sorry for saying this But I would never let best buy touch anything I own most of there folks are under paid and unskilled for the common tasks of working on a persons computer a mom or pops store would of advised you before hand about the loud cpu factory fan/heatsink that comes with the 8320 and would of offered you a better solution to the problem such as a better heatsink/fan combo... BTW A COOLER MASTER 212 EVO is very good replacement for your system if you have the room.. I have a 8320 overclocked to 4.4 right now and sure it could go farther but I haven't had the time to max it out yet good cpu.

kurtis2821

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2014

I didn't actually take it to best buy. I took it to a local computer store. They aren't actually the geek squad i just called them that. And i have a HP Pavilion P6654y desktop with the dimensions of:
Height: 38.7 cm (15.23 inches)
Width: 17.5 cm (6.89 inches)
Length: 41.4 cm (16.29 inches)

What fans would fit in that case?

And i cannot connect the computer via Ethernet because the modem is downstairs and my computer is upstairs.

kurtis2821

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2014

kurtis2821

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2014

No it is a website where people stream video games. Similar to youtube but it is a direct broadcast live to people.

Oh I see I will have to check that out after my new build has all my steam games downloaded cant download 100 games at one time we have Mediacom and they are capping us off at 250 gig a month so I still have about 10 or so games to d/l and I am set with my new system lol anyhow idk other then reinstall the twitch program if its app and see if that helps other then that I am at a loss wish I was of more help to you.