Sign in with
Your question
Solved

100% CPU usage after PSU replacement

Last response: in CPUs
January 15, 2014 10:36:12 PM

Hi,

I just got a new tower, PSU, and Graphics Card and put it together. My computer has since been running incredibly slowly and CPU usage is at 100%. After 20 or so minutes, the computer just shuts off. Upon opening the case, everything inside is cold to the touch with the exception of the CPU which is obviously extremely hot without even making contact with it.

I didn't want to jump to the conclusion that the PSU was malfunctioning just yet. There have been no software changes between this build and the previous, with the exception of the new graphics card drivers.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated, I am in your hands.

Specs
mobo: ASRock P67 Extreme4
CPU: i5 2500k
Graphics: Nvidia Geforce gtx 760
PSU: Cooler Master GX 650w Bronze
RAM: (don't remember exact model) Gskill 4x4gb

Thanks,

EDIT: My previous graphics card was a gtx 460, and the previous PSU was an antec 500w
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
January 15, 2014 10:49:49 PM

First thing you need to know is what is using all your CPU's cycles. Go to Task manager ( processes Tab ) and click "show all processes" on the bottom. Then find out which program or background task is using up all your CPU power. Right click on that program or task and click "end process". IF it is critical, it will stop your computer, but you can still restart. It will probably still run just fine. Anyway, see what it is and then we can go from there!

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
January 15, 2014 10:53:00 PM

Well I would check your CPU HSF. It seems like your not getting good contact from the CPU to the CPU HSF, so this would cause your temps to rise too quickly and not get dissipate your heat correctly. This doesn't sound like a PSU issue, but CM PSU's in the past (the ones on the cheaper side) have been overrated. I'm not saying what you have is one of those, but that was their issues back then.
Related resources
January 15, 2014 10:59:21 PM

avjguy2362 said:
First thing you need to know is what is using all your CPU's cycles. Go to Task manager ( processes Tab ) and click "show all processes" on the bottom. Then find out which program or background task is using up all your CPU power. Right click on that program or task and click "end process". IF it is critical, it will stop your computer, but you can still restart. It will probably still run just fine. Anyway, see what it is and then we can go from there!

Do what avjguy2362 said. Some process is causing conflicts and needs to be killed off. Hopefully it's just some software you installed that could be uninstalled and re-installed. Otherwise, if it's mission critical process, you may have to insert your Windows OS disk and repair Windows.
January 15, 2014 11:26:38 PM

Thank you all for the quick replies! I will try them out and get back to you as soon as I have.
January 16, 2014 3:03:00 PM

Update: I checked out the processes, and nothing was using more than 18 in the CPU column. I ran a virus scan and registry cleaner to be on the safe side, with only mild improvement (90+ instead of always 100).

Afterwards, I checked the CPU heat sink, and a leg was indeed up on it. After securing it, the problem went away. It idles at anywhere between 1 and 10%.

Thanks for all of the answers, I'm eternally grateful!
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
January 16, 2014 10:42:12 PM

Glad to have helped you quickly on your problem. Hope all else continues good and that you don't run into any further issues :) 
!