Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Processor Question. Dual vs Quad

Last response: in CPUs
Share
January 16, 2014 9:10:40 AM

I am in the market for a computer and debating between a Lenovo and a Vaio. I am an interior design student who will need to have multiple design programs on this computer. I am looking at the Lenovo Ideapad Y510P which has a quad core processor. The Sony Vaio Fit 15" has a dual core processor. I am interested mainly in the Vaio because this turns into a tablet as well. However if there is a major difference between these processors then I will go with the Lenovo. I do plan on running maybe 1 or 2 programs at once while also being on the internet. Thanks.
17 4500U: Sony Vaio
17-4700MQ: Lenovo
a b à CPUs
January 16, 2014 9:15:17 AM

I wouldn't recommend either and buy a good quality desktop. A Quad-core tablet CPU is not comparable to a real-world Workstation CPU.

However; the dual core is only 1.8 Ghz, which is very slow. The quad is 2.4 and will give better performance overall.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
January 16, 2014 9:15:26 AM

well, its not really much of a problem unless you are going to be gaming or doing very cpu intensive processes such as video editing or not, a program or 2 with some internet open wont be too much of a problem on a dual core, and btw do you know the exact name of the processors you are debabting between?
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 158 à CPUs
January 16, 2014 9:21:15 AM

Knowing what exact design software would help to know what kind of load it will induce. What do you work on now and is it good enough?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
January 16, 2014 9:22:19 AM

For viewing multimedia, light web use, and office/school work a modern duel core is plenty of power to keep up with you. Quad cores are only really needed for multi-tasking, content creation, and gaming.

That said, I really dislike Sony computers. Their other products are fine... but their computers seem awfully expensive for what you are getting, and they don't have the best support trackrecord. Lenovo on the other hand makes great solid products, and even has convertible tablets if you are into that sort of thing. Really right now I would suggest getting something like an ASUS as they are pretty awesome these days.
m
0
l
January 16, 2014 9:22:58 AM

babachicken said:
well, its not really much of a problem unless you are going to be gaming or doing very cpu intensive processes such as video editing or not, a program or 2 with some internet open wont be too much of a problem on a dual core, and btw do you know the exact name of the processors you are debabting between?


Lenovo:
4th Generation Intel Core i7-4700MQ Processor (2.40GHz 1600MHz 6MB)

Vaio:
Processor Type : Intel® Core™ i7-4500U
Processor Cache : 4MB
Processor Speed : 1.80GHz1 with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology up to 3.00GHz2
Processor Technology : Dual Core
m
0
l
January 16, 2014 9:24:14 AM

k1114 said:
Knowing what exact design software would help to know what kind of load it will induce. What do you work on now and is it good enough?



Pretty much using all Auto Desk Programs (CAD, REVIT etc) also Google Sketchup photoshop. Things like that

m
0
l
a b à CPUs
January 16, 2014 9:27:01 AM

i7 4700MQ is up to 2x faster than i7 4500U . But are there any dedicated video cards ?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
January 16, 2014 9:28:38 AM

The i7 will out perform the i5 in everything, just get the i7 if you are concerned about performance. It's faster overall and it's quad.
m
0
l
January 16, 2014 9:30:05 AM

whitecat said:
i7 4700MQ is up to 2x faster than i7 4500U . But are there any dedicated video cards ?


Heres the graphic cards for each:
Vaio
Graphics
Graphics Processor : NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 735M

Lenovo:
Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GT755M GDDR5 2GB

m
0
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
January 16, 2014 9:37:07 AM

it is obvious ,Lenovo is faster - better cpu and better gpu.


GT 755M has 2x better score than GT 735M
game tests
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/notebook-gpus/geforce-g...
Share
a b à CPUs
January 16, 2014 9:38:32 AM

leahram said:
k1114 said:
Knowing what exact design software would help to know what kind of load it will induce. What do you work on now and is it good enough?



Pretty much using all Auto Desk Programs (CAD, REVIT etc) also Google Sketchup photoshop. Things like that



Missed the fact that you are using high end programs. Absolutely get the biggest baddest CPU you can afford, and a dedicated GPU is highly suggested.
m
0
l
January 16, 2014 9:42:37 AM

Thanks for your help everyone!
m
0
l
!