100% disk usage since windows 8.1

allfor5

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013
Since win 8.1 everything has been crap.

I can't move the icons on the desktop around (i heard this is a fences problem but still continues when uninstalled, doesnt matter for now)

the main problem is that my disk usage sometimes goes to 100% even if nothing is open and sometimes I get lag spikes and only way to get rid of it is to hard-power turn off the laptop.

2uhlo4y.jpg

Dell Inspiron 7520R SE

Think I would uninstall Utorrent then run SFC to check your Windows installation. Also if you're running Avast, make sure Windows Defender is disabled. (Defender includes Security Essentials, so you shouldn't need extra AV)
Winkey plus 'X'
Choose Command Prompt (Admin)
Type sfc /scannow then Enter

allfor5

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013
I can't open Windows Defender from control panel to activate it. I looked up a youtube video and it told me to go to services.msc and deactivate Windows Search and Superfetch services.

gumbykid

Honorable
Jan 15, 2014
This is common. Some users only have .3mb/s being used and it's 100%.

Typically it's either your disk performing automatic defragmentation or a program running (could be Firefox, Windows Defender, etc). A common solution is to increase your page file size if it is low. Others have had luck with enabling Hyper-V through Windows Features in the control panel.

My issue went away when doing a fresh install on an SSD, suggesting it was a program.