Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Windows 8.1 Slow USB transfer speeds.

Last response: in Windows 8
Share
January 17, 2014 5:30:33 PM

Hello. Ever since I upgraded from Windows 7 to 8 last year and now to 8.1, all of my USB ports have become much slower. I have a ASUS K53SD laptop with 2 USB 2.0 ports and one 3.0 Asmedia port. The transfer speeds for all ports are no more than 10 MB/s, and HD Tune shows it to be 18 MB/s. I updated the bios, but that fixed nothing except the brightness control problem. I've installed all latest drivers from ASUS website.
The 2.0 speeds on Win7 were at least 25 MB/s, and 3.0 were as much as 80MB/s.
I've been trying to find the issue for months, but nothing.
Has anybody got a solution to this ?

More about : windows slow usb transfer speeds

a b $ Windows 7
January 17, 2014 5:35:46 PM

Did you check for a new version for chipset drivers maybe?

USB 3.0 probably uses a separate driver, but you could also check if a new version is available for that too.

Even if there isn't a new version available, you could also try to uninstall/reinstall drivers anyways.

m
0
l
January 17, 2014 5:41:44 PM

MC_K7 said:
Did you check for a new version for chipset drivers maybe?

USB 3.0 probably uses a separate driver, but you could also check if a new version is available for that too.

Even if there isn't a new version available, you could also try to uninstall/reinstall drivers anyways.



I just reinstalled the driver once more and nothing. I have the latest drivers for everything.

m
0
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
January 17, 2014 5:46:47 PM

You said you already flashed the BIOS to latest version. But just in case it's some settings the system doesn't like, did you try to reset it to default settings?

m
0
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
January 17, 2014 6:19:37 PM

Version V1.14.10.0
Description AsMedia USB3.0 Driver
If you want to upgrade your OS from Win 7 to Win 8,to prevent software compatibility issue, please uninstall the older version driver before install the newer version driver

*Just to confirm:
1. THIS is the driver you have?
2. You removed the OLD driver first?

Have you also update the MAIN CHIPSET driver?

Version V9.3.0.1021
Description Intel INF Update Driver

(remove old driver first)
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 17, 2014 6:24:16 PM

Your USB 3.0 driver has a mention "Microsoft" next to it. This is usually an indication it uses the built-in Microsoft driver that comes with Windows. Are you sure you installed the latest one from your laptop manufacturer website? If you can't find it there, I see it seems to be made by ASMedia so you could check with them too.

m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 17, 2014 6:27:16 PM

I think I just missed an important detail. You said you upgraded from Windows 7 to 8. Then upgraded from Windows 8 to 8.1. So that's like many upgrades in a row. I'm really not a big fan of Windows upgrades it usually brings a lot of problems. When I want to change Windows version, I prefer to reformat and do a clean install. If it's possible for you try to install Windows 8.1 from scratch (clean install) and then install all drivers one by one and see if it fixes your issues.

m
0
l
January 18, 2014 1:18:15 AM

,
m
0
l
January 18, 2014 6:12:32 AM

MC_K7 said:
I think I just missed an important detail. You said you upgraded from Windows 7 to 8. Then upgraded from Windows 8 to 8.1. So that's like many upgrades in a row. I'm really not a big fan of Windows upgrades it usually brings a lot of problems. When I want to change Windows version, I prefer to reformat and do a clean install. If it's possible for you try to install Windows 8.1 from scratch (clean install) and then install all drivers one by one and see if it fixes your issues.



When I updated from 7 to 8, I did a fresh install (only personal data was kept). Or do you mean complete wipe?

m
0
l
January 18, 2014 6:16:36 AM

photonboy said:
Version V1.14.10.0
Description AsMedia USB3.0 Driver
If you want to upgrade your OS from Win 7 to Win 8,to prevent software compatibility issue, please uninstall the older version driver before install the newer version driver

*Just to confirm:
1. THIS is the driver you have?
2. You removed the OLD driver first?

Have you also update the MAIN CHIPSET driver?

Version V9.3.0.1021
Description Intel INF Update Driver

(remove old driver first)


The drivers you mentioned are exactly the ones I have.

Do you have to uninstall chipset driver before installing a new one? Can you uninstall such a thing as if it was a simple USB driver ?

m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 18, 2014 6:53:53 AM

bombizo said:


When I updated from 7 to 8, I did a fresh install (only personal data was kept). Or do you mean complete wipe?



How can you keep your personal data if you do a fresh install? Unless your personal data is on a separate partition and you reformat only the partition the OS is on.

Clean install means reformatting the partition on which the previous OS was.

m
0
l
January 19, 2014 2:41:42 AM

MC_K7 said:
bombizo said:


When I updated from 7 to 8, I did a fresh install (only personal data was kept). Or do you mean complete wipe?



How can you keep your personal data if you do a fresh install? Unless your personal data is on a separate partition and you reformat the other partition the OS is on.

Clean install means reformatting the partition on which the previous OS was.



So, there's nothing else to try?

m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 19, 2014 8:11:11 AM

bombizo said:


So, there's nothing else to try?



If you read my previous posts, I did suggest this:

"Your USB 3.0 driver has a mention "Microsoft" next to it. This is usually an indication it uses the built-in Microsoft driver that comes with Windows. Are you sure you installed the latest one from your laptop manufacturer website? If you can't find it there, I see it seems to be made by ASMedia so you could check with them too."
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 19, 2014 2:43:03 PM

Double post sorry.
m
0
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
January 20, 2014 9:07:43 PM

I'm not sure what the problem is.

There's no reason to reinstall Windows 8 though. Everything related to Windows 7 is completely gone, then Windows 8 is installed from scratch and finally your data is copied back but those are just files.

Windows 7 might be still present as an "old.c" folder somewhere but it won't affect the system other than taking up space.

Drivers:
It seems like you've done everything correctly so I'm not sure what else to recommend.


What USB DRIVE are you testing this with?

Can you try this with at least two drives?
m
0
l
January 21, 2014 10:26:26 AM

photonboy said:
I'm not sure what the problem is.

There's no reason to reinstall Windows 8 though. Everything related to Windows 7 is completely gone, then Windows 8 is installed from scratch and finally your data is copied back but those are just files.

Windows 7 might be still present as an "old.c" folder somewhere but it won't affect the system other than taking up space.

Drivers:
It seems like you've done everything correctly so I'm not sure what else to recommend.


What USB DRIVE are you testing this with?

Can you try this with at least two drives?


I use the port every day with 2 USB flash drives (Kingston and Sandisk), three different Android devices. All those things support USB 3.0 and had good speeds on Win7.
m
0
l
February 4, 2014 1:52:55 AM

Ok, with nothing else to try, I did a full factory reset (all partitions), that didn't solve a thing. Even the Bluetooth driver problem stayed which isn't that important, but still.

I'd like to add that after that fateful Windows 8 update, the HDD performance has also declined. For example, ZIP extraction speeds and file transfers between partitions are much slower since the update.

SO, out of curiosity, I reinstalled Windows 7, but all the problems still persist, every one of them. Even the Bluetooth driver doesn't seem to work.

What kind of an infection is that?
m
0
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
February 4, 2014 10:58:58 AM

bombizo said:
Ok, with nothing else to try, I did a full factory reset (all partitions), that didn't solve a thing. Even the Bluetooth driver problem stayed which isn't that important, but still.

I'd like to add that after that fateful Windows 8 update, the HDD performance has also declined. For example, ZIP extraction speeds and file transfers between partitions are much slower since the update.

SO, out of curiosity, I reinstalled Windows 7, but all the problems still persist, every one of them. Even the Bluetooth driver doesn't seem to work.

What kind of an infection is that?


It doesn't sound like an infection at all. The ONLY thing that makes sense to me is that your drivers aren't properly installed (Main Chipset, etc.)

Your system hardware appears fine.

Your system WAS working before you installed Windows 8.

Therefore, the only thing that makes sense to me is a driver issue.
m
0
l
February 5, 2014 2:15:11 AM

photonboy said:
bombizo said:
Ok, with nothing else to try, I did a full factory reset (all partitions), that didn't solve a thing. Even the Bluetooth driver problem stayed which isn't that important, but still.

I'd like to add that after that fateful Windows 8 update, the HDD performance has also declined. For example, ZIP extraction speeds and file transfers between partitions are much slower since the update.

SO, out of curiosity, I reinstalled Windows 7, but all the problems still persist, every one of them. Even the Bluetooth driver doesn't seem to work.

What kind of an infection is that?


It doesn't sound like an infection at all. The ONLY thing that makes sense to me is that your drivers aren't properly installed (Main Chipset, etc.)

Your system hardware appears fine.

Your system WAS working before you installed Windows 8.

Therefore, the only thing that makes sense to me is a driver issue.




I've installed and reinstalled all the drivers (especially USB) many times over. I updated Chipset drivers first without and then with CMD -override function. The installation took longer with -override. Of course, no change.

I have the Standard SATA AHCI Controller driver which is the only one that Windows 8 accepts.


I reinstalled the OEM Windows 7 from the Recovery partition with all the drivers and bloatware. All the problems from Windows 8 stayed. Shouldn't have that fixed the driver problems, if that's the issue?
m
0
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
February 6, 2014 8:59:47 PM

Pretty odd problem.
Yes, reinstalling Windows 7 plus drivers should have worked if it did before.

If we combine the HDD performance etc, it sounds like a pretty serious problem and frankly it doesn't make sense to me.

I don't think these would help, but I have no other ideas:
1) Go through BIOS to see if any settings may be applicable

2) Install the OLDER BIOS

3) Try UBUNTU directly from DVD if possible

4) Try a different HDD or SSD if possible

I've heard of cases where a part is FAILING, such as a hard drive, and the entire system has throttling issues.
m
0
l
!