Solved

my ide hard is making a beep sound at the startup and it doesnt boot up,,,, help ??

last night i started my PC the usual way, i found my hard disk wont boot up
its making a beeping sound and then the msg comes up saying " restart your computer and select proper boot drvice"
its a seagte barracuda, IDE hard disk
help ??
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about ide hard making beep sound startup doesnt boot
  1. Most likely the beep is coming from the motherboard... anyways, start up your PC and enter into BIOS (usually by pressing F1, F2 or supr)

    Once there, look around for some option regarding Hard Disk Drives or IDE Devices (most likely under Advanced settings), see if your hard drive is being recognized there, if not, turn off your pc and reconnect both IDE and molex power cables on the hard disk and in the motherboard.

    After that try turning on your pc and check again in BIOS if it gets recognized, if it does you should be able to boot normally to windows.
  2. RaDiKaL_ said:
    Most likely the beep is coming from the motherboard... anyways, start up your PC and enter into BIOS (usually by pressing F1, F2 or supr)

    Once there, look around for some option regarding Hard Disk Drives or IDE Devices (most likely under Advanced settings), see if your hard drive is being recognized there, if not, turn off your pc and reconnect both IDE and molex power cables on the hard disk and in the motherboard.

    After that try turning on your pc and check again in BIOS if it gets recognized, if it does you should be able to boot normally to windows.


    i checkd my hd on another pc, same prblm and the beep sound is coming from hd only, m sure..
    and also i connected a new hd to my PC which is working fine, it means my hd is not working. wht to do now??
  3. Could you describe the exact model of your HDD and also the beep? is it a long one, a short one, a combination of these, what exact combination? with that info we could look the HDD documentation to find out what that beep means.

    One more thing to make sure beep doesn't come from the mobo, when in POST, is there any message at all pointing to a problem with a HDD/IDE device?
  4. RaDiKaL_ said:
    Could you describe the exact model of your HDD and also the beep? is it a long one, a short one, a combination of these, what exact combination? with that info we could look the HDD documentation to find out what that beep means.

    One more thing to make sure beep doesn't come from the mobo, when in POST, is there any message at all pointing to a problem with a HDD/IDE device?



    well the beep sound is not a long one, nd its not the one we get from mobo
    my HDD is seagate baracuda 7200.7
    model: ST3120022A
  5. hmmm couldn't find any indication about beep codes in the manual, however, googling around I've found out that other ppl with the same issue concluded that the beep code was a signal of the HDD's board failure, some of them have replaced the board with an identical one and got their HDD working again, if you haven't been able to find any other solution and really need to get that info back, you should try this solution.
  6. RaDiKaL_ said:
    hmmm couldn't find any indication about beep codes in the manual, however, googling around I've found out that other ppl with the same issue concluded that the beep code was a signal of the HDD's board failure, some of them have replaced the board with an identical one and got their HDD working again, if you haven't been able to find any other solution and really need to get that info back, you should try this solution.


    but will changing the board affect the data on HDD??
  7. Best answer
    No, think of the HDD board as a motherboard, it's purpose is to simply control the HDD and connect it to the rest of your system, all of your data will remain intact (assuming that the failure of the first board didn't damage any data at all).
Ask a new question

Read More

Computers Boot Hard Drives CPUs