FX-6350 and Battlefield 4

apcs13

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013
Hi, so in my new rig I put together for myself this past month, I included as the CPU the FX-6350, which I now have overclocked to 4.4 GHz. I chose this component because it was $2 more than the 6300 and came with a game and RAM bundle for just under $160. However, I have never really gotten great performance in BF4, and it seems to be the only game to get it and has had a lot of bugs, so I chalked it up to that. While monitoring my GPU and CPU usage (I have a GTX 770 1293 MHz core OC 7.2 GHz mem OC), while in every single other game my 770 stays at around 99% load and my CPU usage is generally a lot lower, I noticed that while playing this particular match on Siege of Shanghai with poor FPS (some maps are great, some are bad for me FPS wise), my GPU usage hovered between 70-80% and my CPU usage was generally about 70-90%, which is a good deal higher than I have noticed before. Was I mislead when I was told the FX-6350 was great for Battlefield 4, or is it just the bugs kicking in again?

Thanks for the input! Again, one thing that confuses me is that my CPU usage is generally low and my GPU usage is pretty much maxed when playing other CPU intensive games, and I have no framerate issues in other CPU intensive games, so that's why I am confused. Thanks!

CaptainTom

Honorable
May 3, 2012

The CPU should be fine. It is about as strong as a lower tier i5 (Good!). However your GPU only has 2GB of RAM. That is probably the problem, and it would explain why you sometimes perform worse on certain maps. Turn down the AA or lower the texture resolution. Then report back! ;)

apcs13

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013

Well no matter what I do nothing seems to change that, which is incredibly confusing. I even tried turning it down to the lowest possible resolution on low settings on like %60 Resolution scale just to see the framerate, and it wasn't crazy like I expected, it was only around 60 FPS,which was the exact same as low settings on 1080p 100% screen resolution, and ultra, high, and medium settings all achieved the same framerate ( I didn't move either so it was a consistent test).

Not only did that strike me as really odd, but also, while playing, my memory usage stays between 1600-1850 MB. Once I saw it go really close to 2000 MB, but that was not while playing the game I did. And how it works for me, is I get weird FPS spikes, I go from 60-45-65-45-60-40 etc. And when I look at the charts, the VRAM usage was consistent the whole time (around 1700 MB in that case) so I don't see what the issue is there. I would chalk this up to Battlefield 4 still being un-optimized, but it seems that fewer and fewer people are experiencing the same problems I am, so I don't really know for sure. I have zero issues with every single other game I play, including Battlefield 3, so I just have no clue what this is about.

CaptainTom

Honorable
May 3, 2012

Idk man. I sometimes play BF4 on my laptop (Which basically has a GTX 650 Ti 2GB), and it is smooth as hell at High-Ultra settings in 1080p with no AA. However my cousin has a GTX 560 Ti (Which should be a tad stronger) and I think he has that same framerate jumping you are talking about.

My cousin uses Windows 7, and my laptop uses Windows 8.1 (My desktop is W7 with a 7970 and it is fine).

I have a hunch that the issue is with using an Nvidia card with Windows 7....

Don't know if that helps you, but it might give you another lead.

apcs13

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013

Thank you for that, I think in a year or so I am going to buy an SSD and a copy of Windows 8 and hopefully that will fix any problems I have, if not, oh well, at least my OS is up to date and I will have blazing fast load times!

apcs13

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013

It doesn't matter what graphics settings I play at I experience the same problem all around, but let's just go with Ultra. And my 770 has 2GB VRAM, went with that b/c the 256 bit bus just didn't strike me as a good idea with 4GB and because BF4 is the only game that uses anywhere close to 2GB even (Metro Last Light only uses between 1 and 1.1 GB for example)

apcs13

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013

Referring to my other post, I usually use between 1600 and 1850 MB of VRAM, and there are no spikes when my FPS does spike. I have seen it use almost 2000 MB of VRAM, but only once and it was when I was being pounded by at least 10 players, a tank, and a helicopter, and I think it was when the tower on Siege of Shanghai was falling as well, not sure about that last bit though, definitely that map however. I usually see a max usage of 1850 ish MB of VRAM, though.

Also, and this is what really bothers me, I have seen multiple videos of people who also have GTX 770 2GB models, even ones clocked a lot slower than mine (I have 1293 MHz core and 7.2 GHz effective on memory) that get a much more stable and smooth framerate in BF4.

apcs13

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013

Okay, thanks for this information! Glad to hear that at least my CPU is okay!

dacquesta1

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
My 6950 uses 1800+ at ultra settings but I can definitely tell its running out of vram, not so much anymore with my ssd which helps alot when running higher settings. Are you playing off an SSD or a mechanical HDD? The highest usage I've seen is 1940mb and it started spiking I assume from running out of vram. I dropped back to all high settings with 2xAA and SSAO on and keeps it around 1700mb usage and I never get spikes anymore.

edit: what are your cpu temps when playing bf4 and the framerate drops?

apcs13

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013

Well, having a SSD versus a HDD doesn't impact performance whatsoever, just load times and boot times and that sort of thing. I've seen peak around 1950 MB of VRAM used, but only once. Like I said in my last post, what really bugs me is that other people with the same exact video card, maybe even slightly worse since their clock speeds were lower, were getting a stable 60+ FPS on ultra settings. The only real difference was that they had a type of i5 CPU (which is why I made this thread, to see if my CPU was the issue, which it is not), and a copy of Windows 8/8.1.

Also, while playing BF4 again today, it was super choppy and FPS was jumping all over the place even though nothing was going on, and VRAM usage was actually sub-1400 MB, just to show how there was nothing happening, and then the game just kept going crazy and then crashed. So I guess it might be safe to assume that it is just the game and/or poor optimization for Windows 7. I guess.

apcs13

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013

I think I have updated it, I launched Origin and it doesn't detect updates, and I was able to play fine without updating yesterday, so when I updated a few days ago that must have been the most recent.