I have FX-8350 I want to overclock more

industrialdonut

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012
So currently I've got it at 4.4GHz and it's stable I'd say, but I want to get up to higher if I can as I keep seeing people running theirs at 4.8GHz and such. I have a Corsair H100 and so that *should* keep it nice and cool but I really want some help as I'm not the most experienced in overclocking.
I have a 600W PSU and my mobo fully supports the overclocking.

Solution
Did you change voltage at all? Senior overclockers please correct me if i am wrong but this is my approach.

Bamp voltage to 1.4 and change multiplier to 4.5ghz

Make sure to download HWMonitor to monitor your temps and voltages.

alternate running prime 95 for a good while and raising multiplier to see how far you can get on 1.4 volts
when prime tells you "a worker has crashed/ stopped" you can increace voltage some more and try priming it again or you can back down the freq untill prime is happy. at i think the 15-20 minute mark is when prime really starts punishing your cpu and you will experiance max heat. (just food for thought)

Be weary of your temps because AFAIK its not the voltage that kills you but the high tempertures...

Your motherboard is at the bottom end of overclocking mobos (like mine too) but you got to know when to say when. You have enough power, assuming you have one GPU, and a great cooler. I think the best you could ever do with your mobo would be 4.5, maybe 4.6GHz if you learn how to tweak it.

industrialdonut

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012
You've got to be joking me dude I've gotten it up to 5.0GHz before but I just wasn't happy with the heat I was generating, so I went down to 4.4GHz after having a logical mental convo with myself (this was like at least 6 months ago) but now that DayZ is out and I'm into high-end gaming I want to clock it back up so I think I'm gonna try and get it around 4.8 if I can.

tigger888

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
Did you change voltage at all? Senior overclockers please correct me if i am wrong but this is my approach.

Bamp voltage to 1.4 and change multiplier to 4.5ghz

Make sure to download HWMonitor to monitor your temps and voltages.

alternate running prime 95 for a good while and raising multiplier to see how far you can get on 1.4 volts
when prime tells you "a worker has crashed/ stopped" you can increace voltage some more and try priming it again or you can back down the freq untill prime is happy. at i think the 15-20 minute mark is when prime really starts punishing your cpu and you will experiance max heat. (just food for thought)

Be weary of your temps because AFAIK its not the voltage that kills you but the high tempertures.

(written at 1:05am so please excuse the mistakes in my writing XD)

I have my 8320 purring at 4.4ghz @1.392 volts

http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/ (prime95)

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor/versions-history.html (HWMonitor)

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html (cpu-z)

Solution

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
1zbc392.jpg