400 watt video card, is it possible to use in a 350 watt psu?

ikechun

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014
Normally i would ask my pops this question, but he is convinced i should go out and become a photographer like him instead. Anyways i recently bought FFXIV, and i totally forgot to check my specs before. I normally do this before i buy a game. But i am in need of a new video card and i want a budget of 70$ or less. No point in spending a lot of money when i plan on buying a new computer when i leave for the U.S Navy. The "GeForce GTS 450 EVGA 1GB GDDR5" and "GeForce GT 640 1GB GDDR5 " are what am kinda looking to buy since they fall in my budget. Am not tech savvy, not trying to be offensive or rude in anyway. But any help, if you could reply as if you were talking to a 8 year old would help as well.

My Specs:
Processor: AMD A10-5700 APU with Radeon HD graphics
Ram: 1(4gb) DDR3
Windows: 7 64-bit
Psu: 350wtt
Hard disk: 1(586gb)

I think thats about as much as i know. Once again am not trying to be rude in anyway, Most people find the way i write and ask for help as being rude. No not trying to be an *** here. Just looking for some help. Thanks guys.

Solution
It should be fine. If you want to double check go to pcpartspicker and enter all the parts you have. It should then say in the top right the estimated amount of power you need to run it all.

ikechun

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014

Do you know of any good 300watt video cards i could use? That stay in my budget.

Hi

are you talking about PCI-e graphics cards which consume 300W or will work with a 300W power supply

I assume you mean work with your 350W PSU as a 300W Graphics card would need a much more powerfull CPU and cost more than $70

There is a world of difference between a good quality PSU which can carry its rated power and a cheep brand no one has heard of which may burn out if used at its rated power

what PCI-e 12V connectors does the PSU have ?
0, 6 or 8 ?
some older low power graphics cards have an adapter cable for a 4 pin molex connecter or just use power from PCI-e slot

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express
shows power rating of x16 PCI-e slot

regards

Mike Barnes

ikechun

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014

To be honest i am not really sure, I bought a gateway DX4200 in 2009. Some stuff broke and pretty much replaced everything expect the power supply. So it has its standard 350 watt supply. I was doing some research and i heard the "Galaxy GeForce 640 GT" requires a 350 power supply, and only needs its power from the video card slot.