Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

No signal on screen when i power on my home-built PC

Last response: in Components
Share
January 18, 2014 8:07:00 AM

I recently built my first PC, i turned it on but it said "No Signal" on the computer screen. I tried unplugging the VGA cable from the motherboard and plugged it into my graphics card but it says "cable not connected". I also hear no beeps when i start the pc up but when i take out the ram (it worked for someone on another forum) i hear 3 beeps. My dad thinks i need another dimm of memory since i only have 1 installed in a motherboard that has 2 slots, is that the case? Also, all the fans do spin up, i thought it might help :\
Thank you in advance for anyone who helps.

[PC SPECS]

CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 750K
MotherBoard: MSI FM2-A75MA-E35
GPU: XFX RADEON HD 7770 GHZ EDITION
RAM: 4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3
POWER SUPPLY: 430W Corsair CX430
SCREEN: AOC e2270swn Full HD 21.5" LED

And since the screen only has a vga input i bought a vga to dvi adaptor so i can connect it to my graphics card which has no vga outputs.
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
January 18, 2014 9:18:16 AM

Try booting it without the GPU.
You can have as many or as little DIMM Modules inserted. You do not need 2.
m
0
l
January 18, 2014 9:23:00 AM

ganon11000 said:
Try booting it without the GPU.
You can have as many or as little DIMM Modules inserted. You do not need 2.


Thank you so much for the quick reply, i tried booting after taking the GPU out but the problem still exists and thanks for the advice about the DIMM Modules.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 557 V Motherboard
a c 113 à CPUs
January 18, 2014 9:30:20 AM

The 750k has no integrated graphics, so you have to use the graphics card. Now, check if the DVI port on the card is DVI-D or DVI-I. Connect the monitor only to the card. Does the card require PCIe power connections? If yes, are they in place?
m
0
l
January 18, 2014 9:44:13 AM

alexoiu said:
The 750k has no integrated graphics, so you have to use the graphics card. Now, check if the DVI port on the card is DVI-D or DVI-I. Connect the monitor only to the card. Does the card require PCIe power connections? If yes, are they in place?


Thank you for the reply alexoiu, the dvi port on the card is a DVI-I Dual Link, and yes the card requires PCIe power connections, they were connected when i booted the computer, i know this because the fan on the GPU was spinning.
m
0
l
a c 557 V Motherboard
a c 113 à CPUs
January 18, 2014 9:50:38 AM

Can you test with a different graphics card?
m
0
l
January 18, 2014 10:05:49 AM

alexoiu said:
Can you test with a different graphics card?


Unfortunately i can't since this is my first build, my dad has a really old computer though, do you think i should get the graphics card from that and try it in my system?
m
0
l
a c 557 V Motherboard
a c 113 à CPUs
January 18, 2014 10:10:01 AM

Is it PCIe or AGP? What model?
I'm asking because the power supply might not provide the required power for your card. But we have to test if true or not.
m
0
l
January 18, 2014 10:20:49 AM

alexoiu said:
Is it PCIe or AGP? What model?
I'm asking because the power supply might not provide the required power for your card. But we have to test if true or not.


The name of my dad's graphics card is ati rage 128 pro, i'm not sure whether it's PCIe or AGP, there are plenty of pictures online: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ati+rampage+128+pro&e...

Can you check for me please?
m
0
l
a c 557 V Motherboard
a c 113 à CPUs
January 18, 2014 10:24:48 AM

It's AGP, so you can't use it for testing.
I suggest testing the components at a local shop. The FM2 boards seem to be picky about RAMs, but I suspect also a weak power supply. Therefore I think that a test at a local shop is the right advice.
When solving it, please post back.
m
0
l
January 18, 2014 10:30:11 AM

alexoiu said:
It's AGP, so you can't use it for testing.
I suggest testing the components at a local shop. The FM2 boards seem to be picky about RAMs, but I suspect also a weak power supply. Therefore I think that a test at a local shop is the right advice.
When solving it, please post back.


Thank you for the advice alexoiu, i have a couple of questions though:
Do you want me to test my Graphics Card at a local shop?
What do you mean by fm2 boards can be a bit picky about RAMs?

m
0
l
a c 557 V Motherboard
a c 113 à CPUs
January 18, 2014 10:35:18 AM

You're welcome.
I think that it would be good to test all components (take your PC there).
Regarding memory, it seems that some DDR3 RAMs have compatibility issues with FM2 boards (although they would work fine on other DDR3 motherboards).
m
0
l
January 18, 2014 10:55:37 AM

alexoiu said:
You're welcome.
I think that it would be good to test all components (take your PC there).
Regarding memory, it seems that some DDR3 RAMs have compatibility issues with FM2 boards (although they would work fine on other DDR3 motherboards).


Are there any shops that you would recommended getting my components tested at?
m
0
l
a c 557 V Motherboard
a c 113 à CPUs
January 18, 2014 11:04:55 AM

Any shop close to where you live that doesn't cahrge too much for this kind of services.
If too expensive, then I suggest returning the power supply to the retailer and buying one of at least 550W, with the required PCIe cables. Same for the memory. If returning them, I suggest choosing from http://www.gskill.com/en/configurator?manu=55&chip=261&...
or similar configurators for other brands.
m
0
l
January 18, 2014 11:26:15 AM

alexoiu said:
Any shop close to where you live that doesn't cahrge too much for this kind of services.
If too expensive, then I suggest returning the power supply to the retailer and buying one of at least 550W, with the required PCIe cables. Same for the memory. If returning them, I suggest choosing from http://www.gskill.com/en/configurator?manu=55&chip=261&...
or similar configurators for other brands.


Thanks, i'll consider it. I found this whilst researching the compatibility between my motherboard and memory, i think you should read it, the person used 2 ram sticks and it worked for him in the end:
http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=123876
m
0
l
January 18, 2014 11:40:19 AM

SkylineGTR_ said:
I recently built my first PC, i turned it on but it said "No Signal" on the computer screen. I tried unplugging the VGA cable from the motherboard and plugged it into my graphics card but it says "cable not connected". I also hear no beeps when i start the pc up but when i take out the ram (it worked for someone on another forum) i hear 3 beeps. My dad thinks i need another dimm of memory since i only have 1 installed in a motherboard that has 2 slots, is that the case? Also, all the fans do spin up, i thought it might help :\
Thank you in advance for anyone who helps.

[PC SPECS]

CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 750K
MotherBoard: MSI FM2-A75MA-E35
GPU: XFX RADEON HD 7770 GHZ EDITION
RAM: 4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3
POWER SUPPLY: 430W Corsair CX430
SCREEN: AOC e2270swn Full HD 21.5" LED

And since the screen only has a vga input i bought a vga to dvi adaptor so i can connect it to my graphics card which has no vga outputs.


The Graphics card you have needs a Minimum of a 450 Watt power supply. you only have a 430 watt. so i would recommend a larger PSU

m
0
l
a c 557 V Motherboard
a c 113 à CPUs
January 18, 2014 11:41:22 AM

Somehow different issue, although memory related.
m
0
l
January 19, 2014 8:40:31 AM

alexoiu said:
Any shop close to where you live that doesn't cahrge too much for this kind of services.
If too expensive, then I suggest returning the power supply to the retailer and buying one of at least 550W, with the required PCIe cables. Same for the memory. If returning them, I suggest choosing from http://www.gskill.com/en/configurator?manu=55&chip=261&...
or similar configurators for other brands.


I decided to return the current ram and buy new ones, i know you showed me the g-skill website but which one of their 1600Mhz products would you recommend? I'm thinking of filling both ram slots and i need 8GB total.
m
0
l
January 19, 2014 8:43:48 AM

SkylineGTR_ said:
alexoiu said:
Any shop close to where you live that doesn't cahrge too much for this kind of services.
If too expensive, then I suggest returning the power supply to the retailer and buying one of at least 550W, with the required PCIe cables. Same for the memory. If returning them, I suggest choosing from http://www.gskill.com/en/configurator?manu=55&chip=261&...
or similar configurators for other brands.


I decided to return the current ram and buy new ones, i know you showed me the g-skill website but which one of their 1600Mhz products would you recommend?


you also need to return the power supply the one you have is too small i would recommend 550
m
0
l
January 19, 2014 10:55:45 AM

alexoiu said:
F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR2 is an option:
http://www.amazon.com/MSI-Socket-MicroATX-Motherboard-F...


Thank you so much alexoiu, you have helped me a lot :D  Can i just confirm that the ram you just recommended is part of g-skill's sniper series. Also, do you think that i should swap my power supply for a higher wattage one? A lot of people have said that there's no need since it's 430w and 80plus bronze (my gpu said it needs 450w).
Thanks

[EDIT] I'm finding it hard to find F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR2 ram on amazon.co.uk, is there a cheaper alternative?
m
0
l
January 22, 2014 12:23:52 PM

alexoiu said:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/G-Skill-F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR2/dp/... for 83 or
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-KVR16N11S8K2-DDR3-RAM-... for 69.
However, not 100% sure that it will solve the problem. I still think that it would be better to firstly test the system at a local shop.


I got my new ram today and same problem :(  No beep and "Cable not connected" on screen.
I bought the g-skill sniper F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR2, so i'm pretty sure it's not a problem with the ram.
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 557 V Motherboard
a c 113 à CPUs
January 22, 2014 12:54:06 PM

Then power supply. Isn't there a PC shop nearby for testing the system?
Share
January 23, 2014 4:47:22 AM

alexoiu said:
Then power supply. Isn't there a PC shop nearby for testing the system?


I'm not sure about the PC shops, my local ones usually charge way too much. Does Maplin test systems?
Also, i think i should give the power supply a shot first, then if it still doesn't work i'll get the system tested.
m
0
l
a c 557 V Motherboard
a c 113 à CPUs
January 23, 2014 5:13:27 AM

OK.
m
0
l
January 23, 2014 5:17:28 AM

alexoiu said:
OK.


Thanks for the reply but do you know if maplin test systems?
m
0
l
January 23, 2014 10:12:23 AM

alexoiu said:
Not sure. Try contacting them:
https://www.maplin.co.uk/contactus


Ok thanks, i've ordered a corsair cx500, it's a 500w 80 plus bronze powersupply. It works with micro ATX motherboards right? My dad's just concerned about that.
m
0
l
January 25, 2014 2:45:00 PM

Thank you for all your help alexoiu! :D 
I can proudly say (thanks to you!) that my PC works now because i put in my new PSU.
m
0
l
a c 557 V Motherboard
a c 113 à CPUs
January 25, 2014 4:04:03 PM

You're welcome. I'm glad you've solved it. Good luck!
m
0
l
January 26, 2014 2:40:25 AM

alexoiu said:
You're welcome. I'm glad you've solved it. Good luck!


Thanks.
m
0
l
!