Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Streaming to multiple people from same PC?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
January 18, 2014 11:31:41 AM

Hey guys,

I can't seem to find anything that quite answers my question, so I'm giving it a shot here.

I have a beastly gaming rig that I built recently (4770k, gtx780, 16GB gskill RAM, etc., etc.). I want to play games, my wife wants to surf the web, and my kids want to watch movies from the PC on the TV.

What is the most effective way to let this happen simultaneously? For example, if I run HDMI from the PC to the tv for the kids to watch movies, then my gaming sound is gone. I pretty much want to run it as though I had 3 computers, but in reality I only have the one PC. Is this possible? Or do I need to build a few fairly inexpensive rigs that would just grab content from the master PC through a LAN, so that we can all do our tasks simultaneously and independently?
January 18, 2014 12:43:24 PM

I think the mouse/keyboard and other human interactions would be the hardest bit. sure you could have video/audio cables running to the TV and wife's desk but you will still only have one keyboard and mouse, if you just brought a keyboard/mouse for the other areas you would be fighting each other as you can only have one mouse pointer and type in one place at a time!

I'd say it would be better to have 3 separate PCs, if document access is a reason for doing this you could get a small NAS or just set up shared folders on your gaming PC.
m
0
l
January 18, 2014 3:29:41 PM

jwk3 said:
I think the mouse/keyboard and other human interactions would be the hardest bit. sure you could have video/audio cables running to the TV and wife's desk but you will still only have one keyboard and mouse, if you just brought a keyboard/mouse for the other areas you would be fighting each other as you can only have one mouse pointer and type in one place at a time!

I'd say it would be better to have 3 separate PCs, if document access is a reason for doing this you could get a small NAS or just set up shared folders on your gaming PC.


If that's the case, what kind of a setup would you recommend for the other two PCs? I already broke the bank on the gaming rig, so I only have a few hundred dollars (each) that I could put towards the other two.
m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

January 19, 2014 1:23:48 PM

TheSkaBoss said:


If that's the case, what kind of a setup would you recommend for the other two PCs? I already broke the bank on the gaming rig, so I only have a few hundred dollars (each) that I could put towards the other two.


I'd say go down the 2nd hand route, or just not get PCs, I'd think about whether it would be ok if the kids used a dvd/bluray player unit for watching films (if the films are around on disk) or look at a cheap 2nd hand PC that could read the files off your gaming PC over the network, and your wife could use a tablet or chromebook for her web browsing.
Share
January 19, 2014 1:39:18 PM

jwk3 said:

I'd say go down the 2nd hand route, or just not get PCs, I'd think about whether it would be ok if the kids used a dvd/bluray player unit for watching films (if the films are around on disk) or look at a cheap 2nd hand PC that could read the files off your gaming PC over the network, and your wife could use a tablet or chromebook for her web browsing.


Ok thanks. Yeah, I'll probably go 2nd hand PCs, since all the movies are on the HDD of the gaming PC.
m
0
l
January 21, 2014 6:37:52 AM

Many streaming set top box like a Roku should be able to connect to a network share to play movies off a computer, provided they are in a format that it can read. I use my XBOX 360 for this all the time, in fact that's the main use the XBOX gets, more so that for games hehe.
m
0
l
!