Solved

Thief System Requirements

When the original Thief series was popular, I don't even think I was on this planet yet, but the idea and mechanics of those games and the new one sound interesting and like a fun game to play.

However, I just read the system specs for the game, and the recommended CPU for the game is an FX-8000 series or better, or i7 quad core or better. This system spec sounds crazy high on the CPU level, especially when the recommended GPU is a GTX 660.

My question is, with my FX-6350 OC to 4.4 GHz, do you think that based off of the recommended hardware specs of:
CPU: FX-8000 series/i7 quad core
GPU:GTX 660/R9 series GPU
4GB+ RAM
OS: Windows 7/8
DX: DX 11


That I can run the game at high/ultra/max settings? It's not going to upset me if I can't as its not the #1 game I aim to play, but what does concern me is that now that an 8 core CPU is recommended, is my 6-core that I just got a month ago already on its way out the door?
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about thief system requirements
  1. Forget the recommended CPU. Look to the minimum system requirements... and yes, your 6-core processor was on it's way out the door long before you even purchased it.

    -Wolf sends
  2. Best answer
    If your GPU is a GTX 660 or better, I don't think you'll have a problem.

    Don't worry about the number of cores. It's extremely difficult to make a program that actually takes advantage of multiple cores. I'm sure some of your 6 cores will be idle a lot of the time. If you had 8 you wouldn't see a difference.
  3. http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=831&game=Thief 2014&p_make=AMD&gc_make=Nvidia&p_deriv=FX%2D6350&gc_deriv=GeForce+GTX+660+EVGA+OC+2GB+Edition&laptop=0#systemRequirements

    Have a look.
  4. aevm said:
    If your GPU is a GTX 660 or better, I don't think you'll have a problem.

    Don't worry about the number of cores. It's extremely difficult to make a program that actually takes advantage of multiple cores. I'm sure some of your 6 cores will be idle a lot of the time. If you had 8 you wouldn't see a difference.


    Okay good, I have a GTX 770, I forgot to say that my rig's entire specs are in my signature. I just want this CPU to last a while because while its not an i7-4770K or whatever, it still cost a fair amount of money, and it's not something I want to have to replace within the year.
  5. johnnyb105 said:
    http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=831&game=Thief 2014&p_make=AMD&gc_make=Nvidia&p_deriv=FX%2D6350&gc_deriv=GeForce+GTX+660+EVGA+OC+2GB+Edition&laptop=0#systemRequirements

    Have a look.


    Great link, thank you, looks like I'll be good! Glad I am as well, because I think my next upgrade besides maybe an SSD or something was to go Intel with a CPU, so I was hoping to mostly keep my rig the way it is for 3-4 years and then get a new motherboard and an intel CPU, since I heard at around the $200 mark Intel really starts to pull away from AMD. But at that point, I'm getting a decent motherboard and a good processor, that could be $400 or more, so that's why I want to wait for as long as possible.
  6. Wolfshadw said:
    Forget the recommended CPU. Look to the minimum system requirements... and yes, your 6-core processor was on it's way out the door long before you even purchased it.

    -Wolf sends


    I'm confused on what you're saying, it sounds like you think that the CPU requirements don't matter and that I am okay, but then you say my CPU is outdated... that doesn't seem to match up for me. Can you explain a little please?
  7. apcs13 said:
    Wolfshadw said:
    Forget the recommended CPU. Look to the minimum system requirements... and yes, your 6-core processor was on it's way out the door long before you even purchased it.

    -Wolf sends


    I'm confused on what you're saying, it sounds like you think that the CPU requirements don't matter and that I am okay, but then you say my CPU is outdated... that doesn't seem to match up for me. Can you explain a little please?


    He's kidding. That processor will be great for Thief, and many future games to come.
  8. allocco91 said:
    apcs13 said:
    Wolfshadw said:
    Forget the recommended CPU. Look to the minimum system requirements... and yes, your 6-core processor was on it's way out the door long before you even purchased it.

    -Wolf sends


    I'm confused on what you're saying, it sounds like you think that the CPU requirements don't matter and that I am okay, but then you say my CPU is outdated... that doesn't seem to match up for me. Can you explain a little please?


    He's kidding. That processor will be great for Thief, and many future games to come.


    Oh okay, thanks!
Ask a new question

Read More

Intel Graphics Cards Settings Max Video Games Programming CPUs AMD Games Graphics Motherboards Nvidia Video game Components High settings