Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

First PC build ever. looking for feedback

Last response: in Systems
Share
January 18, 2014 7:04:52 PM

Hello people. I am a brand new member of this site and i was hoping you guys could help me out with my first pc build. I am primarily a console gamer, but i have been looking to get into pc gaming for quite some time now. Also, im going to be including basically every last component of the build, for maximum feedback potential. Anyway, thanks a lot in advance, and here are the specs:

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

CPU: AMD FX-8350 Vishera 4.0GHz (4.2GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor FD8350FRHKBOX

GPU: XFX Double D FX797GTDFC Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Sound Card: ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Express x1 Interface Sound Card

Speakers: Logitech Z623 200 w 2.1 Speaker System, THX-Certified

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

Optical Drive: LITE-ON Black 18X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model iHDS118-04 - OEM

HDD: Western Digital WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive, Blue - OEM

SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE120BW 2.5" 120GB SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

OS: Windows 8.1

Case: Rosewill BLACKHAWK Blue Edition Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, come with Five Fans, window side panel, top HDD dock

USB Wireless Nano Adapter:EDIMAX EW-7811Un Wireless Nano Adapter IEEE 802.11b/g/n USB 2.0 Up to 150Mbps Data Rates

PSU: APEVIA ATX-CW500WP4 500W ATX Power Supply

Keyboard: LITE-ON SK-1788/BS Black and Gray 104 Normal Keys PS/2 Wired Standard Keyboard

Mouse: LITE-ON SK-1788/BS Black and Gray 104 Normal Keys PS/2 Wired Standard Keyboard

The games that i want to be able to play at high to max settings are:
The Witcher Series
BF4
Planetside 2
DayZ
Skyrim

That about closes things up.
Thanks again for the help. It is greatly appreciated. :) 

More about : build feedback

a b ) Power supply
a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
January 18, 2014 8:12:13 PM

A tip for you: If you want more replies, don't list things that way. Granted you did it better than

many others, in that you changed the link names. What you should do, for the best results, is to list

the component name outside each link. People are lazy, don't have time and whatnot else, to check each

and every link to get an overview of your system. I'm glad you're coming into PC gaming though. You might

want to add Star Citizen to the list too. What's your budget? You've picked some pretty excellent parts otherwise;

except the Apevia PSU. Go for a 600W or 750W PSU from brands like Corsair or XFX. You'll also be wanting a better

mouse and keyboard. At least the mouse. You can also forfeit the sound card. Just use the motherboards onboard

Audio. It'll be fine for you; unless you're either an audiophile or have a great headset to match.
m
0
l
January 18, 2014 9:11:58 PM

X79 said:
A tip for you: If you want more replies, don't list things that way. Granted you did it better than

many others, in that you changed the link names. What you should do, for the best results, is to list

the component name outside each link. People are lazy, don't have time and whatnot else, to check each

and every link to get an overview of your system. I'm glad you're coming into PC gaming though. You might

want to add Star Citizen to the list too. What's your budget? You've picked some pretty excellent parts otherwise;

except the Apevia PSU. Go for a 600W or 750W PSU from brands like Corsair or XFX. You'll also be wanting a better

mouse and keyboard. At least the mouse. You can also forfeit the sound card. Just use the motherboards onboard

Audio. It'll be fine for you; unless you're either an audiophile or have a great headset to match.

yeah didn't think about it that way. I assumed people would want links as opposed to a wall of text w/ strange numbers and such. Also, thanks for bringing start citizen to my attention, man that game looks good. could you recommend a better mouse and keyboard combo? i kinda picked those without too much consideration, as most of my pc experience has been with laptop trackpads. could you also tell me why the psu isn's as good as the other parts?

m
0
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
January 18, 2014 11:47:19 PM

Well you can still include a link. People are going to see strange numbers anyhow, if they click the links.

Thus you might as well make it more convenient by listing things alongside the links. Also yes, Star Citizen is

going to be superb. Here's a review of the game to help you get the idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iT5BD7AtaoA


Anyhow... Mice/keyboards are a bit up to you. But you should look for "mechanical" keyboards. They're good for gaming.

Especially ones with a "Cherry MX Blue" switchtype. It'll mean you hear a nice click sound when you press a key. So it's a better

typing experience. As for a mouse, it depends on how you hold one. Some people cover the mouse with their hand. Others

only use their fingertips to touch the mouse with. Try go for a laser mouse, with at least over 3000 DPI. So it's more sensitive.

Not that optical is "wrong".

The PSU isn't good because that brand has a bad rep and in PCs, a bad PSU can cost you the entire PC if it burns up or otherwise

fries something. So one rule of thumb on the PSU; Do not skimp on it. Ever.
m
0
l
January 19, 2014 11:16:32 AM

X79 said:
Well you can still include a link. People are going to see strange numbers anyhow, if they click the links.

Thus you might as well make it more convenient by listing things alongside the links. Also yes, Star Citizen is

going to be superb. Here's a review of the game to help you get the idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iT5BD7AtaoA


Anyhow... Mice/keyboards are a bit up to you. But you should look for "mechanical" keyboards. They're good for gaming.

Especially ones with a "Cherry MX Blue" switchtype. It'll mean you hear a nice click sound when you press a key. So it's a better

typing experience. As for a mouse, it depends on how you hold one. Some people cover the mouse with their hand. Others

only use their fingertips to touch the mouse with. Try go for a laser mouse, with at least over 3000 DPI. So it's more sensitive.

Not that optical is "wrong".

The PSU isn't good because that brand has a bad rep and in PCs, a bad PSU can cost you the entire PC if it burns up or otherwise

fries something. So one rule of thumb on the PSU; Do not skimp on it. Ever.

ok then...what do you think about these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...



m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
January 19, 2014 11:42:39 AM

I'd prefer a 750W PSU myself; provided I'm going SLI/CF.

The K70 is an absolutely lovely keyboard and one of my favourites. I'm sure you'd like it.

The Naga mouse is good if you're into MMOs, as it has so many programmable keys on the side.

Otherwise you should perhaps find a different one.

http://www.techspot.com/review/728-gaming-mice-comparis...
m
0
l
January 19, 2014 8:48:16 PM

X79 said:
I'd prefer a 750W PSU myself; provided I'm going SLI/CF.

The K70 is an absolutely lovely keyboard and one of my favourites. I'm sure you'd like it.

The Naga mouse is good if you're into MMOs, as it has so many programmable keys on the side.

Otherwise you should perhaps find a different one.

http://www.techspot.com/review/728-gaming-mice-comparis...

so what if im not doing sli/cf? would you then recommend it?
I've recently been playing dota 2 so i feel like the mouse would be pretty awesome for that.

m
0
l

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
January 20, 2014 4:58:49 AM

If you're not doing SLI or CF then no, you won't need that PSU.

If you feel the mouse would be good for that, then go ahead. There aren't so many abilities though are there?

I think the buttons are more for MMOs wherein you have lots of abilities.

I hope you checked out the link with the other mice. Programmable keys are quite good in many cases.
Share
January 20, 2014 1:33:51 PM

X79 said:
If you're not doing SLI or CF then no, you won't need that PSU.

If you feel the mouse would be good for that, then go ahead. There aren't so many abilities though are there?

I think the buttons are more for MMOs wherein you have lots of abilities.

I hope you checked out the link with the other mice. Programmable keys are quite good in many cases.

well there are only 4 abilities per hero, but the gameplay is fast and twitch based so i might need them. that logitech g700 looks great though. well i suppose thats it then. I'll figure out the mouse later. it looks like my build is basically finalized now, and man is it looking great. Thank you so much for the help, it was great! :) 

m
0
l
!