Trying to build a PC that can play Skyrim on ultra for £600

I'm looking for the best build for my budget (£600), not really bothered about a fancy case or anything. Help will be appreciated. (Live in the UK)
18 answers Last reply
More about build play skyrim ultra 600
  1. This will definitely max it out:

    http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2DKao

    Do you need an OS as well?
  2. Praise_Gaben said:
    This will definitely max it out:

    http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2DKao

    Do you need an OS as well?
    Yeah, I do need a OS
  3. OK, then i would go for this:

    http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2DKnc

    I wouldn't overclock the GTX 760 though because 450 watt is not that much.
  4. Praise_Gaben said:
    OK, then i would go for this:

    http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2DKnc

    I wouldn't overclock the GTX 760 though because 450 watt is not that much.

    Thank you! I just have a few questions. Is it worth getting Windows 8, or should I just go with windows 7?
    Should I get a SSD? (not that I know what one is).
    Should I get a optical drive?
  5. Windows 8.1 is only a few pounds more expensive, and it will be longer supported.

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

    Windows 7 already has not support for the latest DirectX. That doesn't matter right now but i think it will be more important in the future. For some reason games tend to run better on windows 8 as well, although the interface is ofcourse not so great. I would personalyl go with windows 8 though, it's not that bad as people say it.

    And yeah you should definitely get an SSD.. it's way faster than traditional hard drives and you will notice it really good. The system boots up faster and programs will load much faster etc.

    And an optical drive only seems to be necessary for installing windows, if you don't have one from a previous pc you should buy one because windows comes with an DVD. I'm pretty sure though that you can install windows 8 from an usb drive, but i don't know exactly.
  6. Praise_Gaben said:
    Windows 8.1 is only a few pounds more expensive, and it will be longer supported.

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

    Windows 7 already has not support for the latest DirectX. That doesn't matter right now but i think it will be more important in the future. For some reason games tend to run better on windows 8 as well, although the interface is ofcourse not so great. I would personalyl go with windows 8 though, it's not that bad as people say it.

    And yeah you should definitely get an SSD.. it's way faster than traditional hard drives and you will notice it really good. The system boots up faster and programs will load much faster etc.

    And an optical drive only seems to be necessary for installing windows, if you don't have one from a previous pc you should buy one because windows comes with an DVD. I'm pretty sure though that you can install windows 8 from an usb drive, but i don't know exactly.
    Thanks, what SSD should I get? Because in the build you suggested there was not one.
  7. A Samsung 840 EVO will be fast and reliable.
  8. The 840 EVO would be my choice..

    http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2DKKk
  9. Praise_Gaben said:
    The 840 EVO would be my choice..

    http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2DKKk
    Okay, thanks but now the price is a bit over my budget, is there anything I can cut out to make the price lower? Also would I need a fan, or something to stop the computer from overheating?
  10. OK, you can go for the fx-6300 but it uses considerably more power than the i5 4430 so you also need a better power supply. But with a cheaper graphics card you will get below the 600 pounds. With this build you can probably come close to maxing Skyrim out, but i'm not so sure because of the cpu.

    http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2DL7W
  11. Praise_Gaben said:
    OK, you can go for the fx-6300 but it uses considerably more power than the i5 4430 so you also need a better power supply. But with a cheaper graphics card you will get below the 600 pounds. With this build you can probably come close to maxing Skyrim out, but i'm not so sure because of the cpu.

    http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2DL7W

    Okay, thanks. What about a fan, or something to stop the computer from overheating?
  12. You don't need additional fans unless you want to overclock something the case comes with 1 fan and the CPU comes with a cooler. I personally would not bother with the SSD on that budget as it only speeds up load times if thats not of extreme importance to you I would leave it out to spend more on CPU &/or GPU.
  13. I think it's fine if you don't overclock it (it comes with a stock cooler) but cooling would indeed be better and quieter. This build still has the original small case and 2 extra fans + cpu cooler. should keep it really quiet and cool.

    http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2DLJp
  14. simon12 said:
    You don't need additional fans unless you want to overclock something the case comes with 1 fan and the CPU comes with a cooler. I personally would not bother with the SSD on that budget as it only speeds up load times if thats not of extreme importance to you I would leave it out to spend more on CPU &/or GPU.


    +1, if he spends 99% of his time playing games i wouldn't bother as well.
  15. simon12 said:
    You don't need additional fans unless you want to overclock something the case comes with 1 fan and the CPU comes with a cooler. I personally would not bother with the SSD on that budget as it only speeds up load times if thats not of extreme importance to you I would leave it out to spend more on CPU &/or GPU.
    What exactly does the SSD affect? If I don't get one now, could I get one at a later stage, and put it in?
  16. Carl Willers said:
    What exactly does the SSD affect? If I don't get one now, could I get one at a later stage, and put it in?

    Windows startup, loading screens, capturing video, copying large files, indexing lots of files...
  17. Praise_Gaben said:
    simon12 said:
    You don't need additional fans unless you want to overclock something the case comes with 1 fan and the CPU comes with a cooler. I personally would not bother with the SSD on that budget as it only speeds up load times if thats not of extreme importance to you I would leave it out to spend more on CPU &/or GPU.


    +1, if he spends 99% of his time playing games i wouldn't bother as well.
    With this build, is everything I need for the pc to work included? Do I not need a sound card or anything else like that? I already have a monitor.
  18. All the builds have everything you need except keyboard mouse speakers and monitor
Ask a new question

Read More

Video Games Gaming Desktops Build Skyrim Graphics Cards