Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Why is my programs running in 32bit when my operation system is 64bit?

Last response: in Systems
Share
January 19, 2014 12:01:29 PM

Hello everybody, just wanna know why my games and programs like arma 3 and battlefield 4 are running in 32bit, but my operation system is 64bit? Is it because i dont have enought ram? i have 6gb ram, do i need more?

Best solution

January 19, 2014 12:05:13 PM

Many games and other programs are still 32-bit. It's not really a problem, a 64-bit system can run 32-bit programs fine. They'd have to redo a lot of work to convert to 64-bit, so that's one reason a lot of software is still 32-bit.
Share
January 19, 2014 12:08:38 PM

okay, so i my ram is enought so play games in 64bit? a other guy told me that i need 8gb ram or more to play battlefield 4 in 64bit?
m
0
l
Related resources
January 19, 2014 12:10:16 PM

As said above just because you are running a 64bit OS does not mean that app's and games that are 32bit will change to 64bit it does not work that way. What it does mean is that app's and games that are 64bit will run correctly on your system.
m
0
l
January 19, 2014 12:10:44 PM

6GB is good enough. 8GB would be better, but it's not absolutely necessary.
m
0
l
January 19, 2014 12:12:11 PM

64 bit windows can run programs in 32 bit.Your ram is enough.
m
0
l
January 19, 2014 12:13:12 PM

Okay thanks guys, i wish i could set best solution on you all.
m
0
l
January 19, 2014 12:13:36 PM

Oliversisu said:
Hello everybody, just wanna know why my games and programs like arma 3 and battlefield 4 are running in 32bit, but my operation system is 64bit? Is it because i dont have enought ram? i have 6gb ram, do i need more?


Hi,

x86 microprocessors from AMD and Intel include what's known as "compatibility mode" which allows 32 bit code to execute inside of a 64 bit environment as long as the operating system provides all of the necessary 32 bit libraries to go with it. In the case of Windows, 64 bit versions of Windows are packaged with two copies of all core usermode libraries; one for 64 bit applications (located in System32 oddly enough) and one for 32 bit applications (located in SysWOW64). This allows 32 bit applications to run on 64 bit versions of Windows without modification. System applications and drivers must be compiled as 64 bit though.

There are a huge number of differences between the x86 protected mode (aka 32 bit mode) and x86 long mode (aka 64 bit mode) along with corresponding differences in 32 and 64 bit versions of the same operating systems. As a result, many application developers elect to simply maintain older 32 bit codebases which cannot cleanly be converted to 64 bit and let the system simply run it in compatibility mode.

Applications that have only 64 bit versions, or have both 32 and 64 bit versions, are becoming more popular. 64 bit gaming was briefly popularized by the original Crysis, but faded for a while as there was no clear performance benefit. Recently, Battlefield 4 shipped with both a 32 bit and 64 bit version; it should default to 64 bit if you have a 64 bit OS.
m
0
l
January 19, 2014 12:14:55 PM

system requirements for BF4

Quote:
Recommended system requirements

The recommended PC system requirements for optimal visual quality and frame rates:
•Quad core CPU (Intel Core i5 or i7) at 3 Ghz
•4 GB memory (8 GB for 64-bit operating systems)
•A modern DX11 graphics card with 2+ GB of video memory, GeForce 600 series or Radeon 7000 series
•Windows 7 64-bit operating system (Windows 8 is supported as well)
•30+ GB of free harddrive space


I guess that's what "a other guy" was meaning.. seems extravagant to say 64 bit needs twice memory of 32 bit..
but its their game.. you would think they would know.. but its a "recommendation".. not a "requirement"

Cheers
m
0
l
January 19, 2014 12:17:08 PM

yoji said:
system requirements for BF4

Quote:
Recommended system requirements

The recommended PC system requirements for optimal visual quality and frame rates:
•Quad core CPU (Intel Core i5 or i7) at 3 Ghz
•4 GB memory (8 GB for 64-bit operating systems)
•A modern DX11 graphics card with 2+ GB of video memory, GeForce 600 series or Radeon 7000 series
•Windows 7 64-bit operating system (Windows 8 is supported as well)
•30+ GB of free harddrive space


I guess that's what "a other guy" was meaning.. seems extravagant to say 64 bit needs twice memory of 32 bit..
but its their game.. you would think they would know.. but its a "recommendation".. not a "requirement"

Cheers


I guess they only recommend 4GB for 32-bit Windows because 32-bit Windows can only use 4GB.
m
0
l
January 19, 2014 12:24:38 PM

So i actually need 8gb ram to play battlefield 4 in 64bit? when i start battlefield 4 it's not showing what bit it's running in? so i guess is running in 64bit?
m
0
l
January 19, 2014 12:38:46 PM

Are you getting crashes in BF4? I assume you aren't, which proves you don't need 8GB. Hey, you have 6GB and it works anyway.

On the other hand, with 8GB you will get better fps.
m
0
l
January 19, 2014 12:53:55 PM

Ohh really better fps? i have some problems with the fps, so if i get more ram i should get more fps right? and how much ram extra? i have 6gb ram and my GPU is a AMD Raedon R9 290 series, just bought it.
m
0
l
January 19, 2014 1:00:14 PM

8GB would be good. 12GB or 16GB would be even better if you like to leave other programs running while you play, e.g. FireFox.
m
0
l
January 19, 2014 1:01:36 PM

Okay thanks, what is the maximum ram i can get?
m
0
l
January 19, 2014 1:26:45 PM

It depends on your motherboard, tell us which model it is. But you don't need the maximum, that's usually 32GB and it's way overkill for gaming. You should definitely have the recommended 8GB, maybe a bit more for future proofing, but you don't need 32GB.
m
0
l
January 19, 2014 1:30:22 PM

My motherboard is a ASUSTeK Computer INC. M4A79 Deluxe (AM2)
m
0
l
January 19, 2014 1:36:10 PM

Your max supported is 4 x 4GB.
m
0
l
January 19, 2014 1:40:30 PM

Okay, thank you very much for your help, i wish i could do you the best solution but it's to late.
m
0
l
April 4, 2014 7:31:14 AM

Pinhedd said:
Oliversisu said:
Hello everybody, just wanna know why my games and programs like arma 3 and battlefield 4 are running in 32bit, but my operation system is 64bit? Is it because i dont have enought ram? i have 6gb ram, do i need more?


Hi,

x86 microprocessors from AMD and Intel include what's known as "compatibility mode" which allows 32 bit code to execute inside of a 64 bit environment as long as the operating system provides all of the necessary 32 bit libraries to go with it. In the case of Windows, 64 bit versions of Windows are packaged with two copies of all core usermode libraries; one for 64 bit applications (located in System32 oddly enough) and one for 32 bit applications (located in SysWOW64). This allows 32 bit applications to run on 64 bit versions of Windows without modification. System applications and drivers must be compiled as 64 bit though.

There are a huge number of differences between the x86 protected mode (aka 32 bit mode) and x86 long mode (aka 64 bit mode) along with corresponding differences in 32 and 64 bit versions of the same operating systems. As a result, many application developers elect to simply maintain older 32 bit codebases which cannot cleanly be converted to 64 bit and let the system simply run it in compatibility mode.

Applications that have only 64 bit versions, or have both 32 and 64 bit versions, are becoming more popular. 64 bit gaming was briefly popularized by the original Crysis, but faded for a while as there was no clear performance benefit. Recently, Battlefield 4 shipped with both a 32 bit and 64 bit version; it should default to 64 bit if you have a 64 bit OS.


I have had some crashing issues with my BF4 and i was thinking that because that it is in 32 bit instead of 64 that may be causing it... If you can reply to this that would be great.
m
0
l
April 4, 2014 8:02:24 AM

Titration said:
Pinhedd said:
Oliversisu said:
Hello everybody, just wanna know why my games and programs like arma 3 and battlefield 4 are running in 32bit, but my operation system is 64bit? Is it because i dont have enought ram? i have 6gb ram, do i need more?


Hi,

x86 microprocessors from AMD and Intel include what's known as "compatibility mode" which allows 32 bit code to execute inside of a 64 bit environment as long as the operating system provides all of the necessary 32 bit libraries to go with it. In the case of Windows, 64 bit versions of Windows are packaged with two copies of all core usermode libraries; one for 64 bit applications (located in System32 oddly enough) and one for 32 bit applications (located in SysWOW64). This allows 32 bit applications to run on 64 bit versions of Windows without modification. System applications and drivers must be compiled as 64 bit though.

There are a huge number of differences between the x86 protected mode (aka 32 bit mode) and x86 long mode (aka 64 bit mode) along with corresponding differences in 32 and 64 bit versions of the same operating systems. As a result, many application developers elect to simply maintain older 32 bit codebases which cannot cleanly be converted to 64 bit and let the system simply run it in compatibility mode.

Applications that have only 64 bit versions, or have both 32 and 64 bit versions, are becoming more popular. 64 bit gaming was briefly popularized by the original Crysis, but faded for a while as there was no clear performance benefit. Recently, Battlefield 4 shipped with both a 32 bit and 64 bit version; it should default to 64 bit if you have a 64 bit OS.


I have had some crashing issues with my BF4 and i was thinking that because that it is in 32 bit instead of 64 that may be causing it... If you can reply to this that would be great.


The 32 bit version is known to have some crash issues. It is most likely related
m
0
l
April 4, 2014 8:24:54 AM

Pinhedd said:
Titration said:
Pinhedd said:
Oliversisu said:
Hello everybody, just wanna know why my games and programs like arma 3 and battlefield 4 are running in 32bit, but my operation system is 64bit? Is it because i dont have enought ram? i have 6gb ram, do i need more?


Hi,

x86 microprocessors from AMD and Intel include what's known as "compatibility mode" which allows 32 bit code to execute inside of a 64 bit environment as long as the operating system provides all of the necessary 32 bit libraries to go with it. In the case of Windows, 64 bit versions of Windows are packaged with two copies of all core usermode libraries; one for 64 bit applications (located in System32 oddly enough) and one for 32 bit applications (located in SysWOW64). This allows 32 bit applications to run on 64 bit versions of Windows without modification. System applications and drivers must be compiled as 64 bit though.

There are a huge number of differences between the x86 protected mode (aka 32 bit mode) and x86 long mode (aka 64 bit mode) along with corresponding differences in 32 and 64 bit versions of the same operating systems. As a result, many application developers elect to simply maintain older 32 bit codebases which cannot cleanly be converted to 64 bit and let the system simply run it in compatibility mode.

Applications that have only 64 bit versions, or have both 32 and 64 bit versions, are becoming more popular. 64 bit gaming was briefly popularized by the original Crysis, but faded for a while as there was no clear performance benefit. Recently, Battlefield 4 shipped with both a 32 bit and 64 bit version; it should default to 64 bit if you have a 64 bit OS.


I have had some crashing issues with my BF4 and i was thinking that because that it is in 32 bit instead of 64 that may be causing it... If you can reply to this that would be great.


The 32 bit version is known to have some crash issues. It is most likely related


Yes but it's almost extreme, i literally can't play a full game of Conquest..
m
0
l
!