Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

GPU and Graphics Card Help

Last response: in CPUs
Share
January 19, 2014 4:01:35 PM

So, I'm building my first PC and I'm slightly confused. Do I need a GPU and Graphics card or what? Could someone please explain? Thanks! :) 

More about : gpu graphics card

a b U Graphics card
a c 106 à CPUs
January 19, 2014 4:04:47 PM

graphics cards is the name used when you mean the whole card board. gpu is the actual video core chip (for example like the cpu and cpu on the motherboard)
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
January 19, 2014 4:06:17 PM

A GPU is the same thing as a graphics card. GPU = Graphics Processing Unit. Simply depends who you're talking to as to which term they use :) 

As to whether you need one or not, if you're into modern games, CAD, video editing/production, number crunching, etc., then you'll benefit greatly from having one. If your PC will be used for browsing the internet, youtube videos and such, then you can go without one and save the money.
m
0
l
Related resources
January 19, 2014 4:06:39 PM

laviniuc said:
graphics cards is the name used when you mean the whole card board. gpu is the actual video core chip (for example like the cpu and cpu on the motherboard)


So I need both? and they have to match like CPU and the motherboard?
m
0
l
January 19, 2014 4:08:17 PM

JohnPMyers said:
A GPU is the same thing as a graphics card. GPU = Graphics Processing Unit. Simply depends who you're talking to as to which term they use :) 

As to whether you need one or not, if you're into modern games, CAD, video editing/production, number crunching, etc., then you'll benefit greatly from having one. If your PC will be used for browsing the internet, youtube videos and such, then you can go without one and save the money.


I would like to play games with BF4 lvl graphics, but if i get a gpu do i need a graphics card? and if i get a graphics card, do i need gpu?
m
0
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
a c 106 à CPUs
January 19, 2014 4:09:04 PM

no. unlike cpu/motherboards they come pre soldered. it's just some use the "gpu" term to refer to the card and some refer to them as graphics cards.
Share
January 19, 2014 4:12:14 PM

laviniuc said:
no. unlike cpu/motherboards they come pre soldered. it's just some use the "gpu" term to refer to the card and some refer to them as graphics cards.


Wow, thanks! that makes sense now lol!
m
0
l
January 19, 2014 4:13:36 PM

Essentially it's the same thing. Gpu is just a term to identify the specifics of the graphics card. Example a Chevrolet Silverado 2500. Chevrolet is the brand Silverado is the model and 2500 is the class
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
January 19, 2014 4:14:41 PM

Hmmm...i'll try to explain better.

When many of the old school techies say "GPU" they are referring specifically to the processing chip found on a graphics card. However in the consumer or modern techie world, the terms "GPU" and "graphics card" are used interchangeably and refer to the same thing. At times when a consumer or modern techie says "GPU" and actually means the specific processing chip, not the whole card, you can usually tell by the context.

Anyway, you cannot buy a graphics card that doesn't have a GPU (the processing chip) on it. Technically a GPU is part of a graphics card and no graphics card will work without a GPU. It is not something you buy separately. Like buying a car: you don't have to buy the engine separately or even question if the car comes with an engine. It just does. It's part of it and won't work without it.
m
0
l
January 19, 2014 4:15:43 PM

lethalshark said:
JohnPMyers said:
A GPU is the same thing as a graphics card. GPU = Graphics Processing Unit. Simply depends who you're talking to as to which term they use :) 

As to whether you need one or not, if you're into modern games, CAD, video editing/production, number crunching, etc., then you'll benefit greatly from having one. If your PC will be used for browsing the internet, youtube videos and such, then you can go without one and save the money.


I would like to play games with BF4 lvl graphics, but if i get a gpu do i need a graphics card? and if i get a graphics card, do i need gpu?



ha no no
Correction GPU is the graphic card don t confuse ur self with it ,like they are 2 diferent things ,GPU is a word to describe ur craphic card = GPU .Get it ....Craphic card is GPU and GPU is Craphic card,it is just smal refference to describbe a graphic card u don t say any more my craphic card u say my GPU that is more or less...
m
0
l
!