Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

My new gaming pc build $1400

Last response: in Systems
Share
January 19, 2014 8:21:34 PM

Hello. I am building my first gaming pc for b4, rendering gameplay fast, rendering other videos fast, streaming, and i need it to last for the next 3 years on medium to high settings.

I do not need monitor. I do not need windows 7 (i have an extra copy). I do not need a mouse. I do not plan to overclock. I would like a gaming keyboard that has the clicky feel but not the sound since i record sometimes.

So i have a friend who can help me build the computer and i've researched it extensively but i'm having trouble picking out the parts. This is my build right now. Thoughts? And thanks for your help =D




CPU- Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad Core Processor $294.99

Motherboard- MSI B85-G41 PC Mate ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $79.99

Memory- G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $157.99

Storage- Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk - $147.98

Storage 2- Hitachi Ultrastar 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive price included in storage 1

Video card- EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card $505.91

Case- Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case $89.99

Power supply- Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $49.99

Keyboard- Cooler Master Storm QuickFire Rapid Wired Gaming Keyboard $78.98


total- $1405.82

Any help picking better parts or the best bang for buck parts would be awesome! (plus if you could add some reasoning behind your choice would be awesome too. thanks! =D)

More about : gaming build 1400

January 19, 2014 8:37:05 PM

Make sure your PSU has at least 42amps on its 12v rail. If not, your PSU will not have enough power. I would rather use seagate rather than Hitachi, seagate is more reputable, and I hate MSI. Go for Asus MOBO, Idk which one would be around your 80 dollar price point. Your MOBO may be holding your system back in {SOME} cases.
m
0
l
January 19, 2014 8:43:05 PM

Why dont you just get an I5-4670 instead of I7-4770? I think I7 is unnecessary, I5 will pretty much perform at same speed and cheaper.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
January 19, 2014 8:53:50 PM

I agree with the above, get an i5 instead and either save that money or put it in a higher quality motherboard like an Asrock H87 Fatality, solid capacitors, quality near discrete level on board sound (not a huge deal breaker, but hey makes a difference and might give you a more immersive gaming experience), and is solid hardware wise too

since you'll be recording video I also recommend you get either a bigger hard drive (2TB) or 1 MORE 1TB hard drive purely for footage (while your first 1TB will house media and SSD windows etc)
m
0
l
January 19, 2014 9:10:28 PM

ferwindjacks said:
Make sure your PSU has at least 42amps on its 12v rail. If not, your PSU will not have enough power. I would rather use seagate rather than Hitachi, seagate is more reputable, and I hate MSI. Go for Asus MOBO, Idk which one would be around your 80 dollar price point. Your MOBO may be holding your system back in {SOME} cases.


(so i'm not sure if this will accidently pick this answer as the solution. Kinda new to forums) Can you link me to a asus MOBO you were talking about because i don't see that on pcpartpicker.
m
0
l
January 19, 2014 9:12:29 PM

NineFace said:
Why dont you just get an I5-4670 instead of I7-4770? I think I7 is unnecessary, I5 will pretty much perform at same speed and cheaper.


I previously thought that an i7 would be better due to my video editing that i do on a regular basis, video recording, and video rendering. If i'm wrong about what a these processors really do and what they help with i would love if someone told me. The more knowledge i learn the better.
m
0
l
January 19, 2014 9:43:14 PM

Processor: I dont know your background. Whether you're a gamer, father, video editor, whatever. I7 (in most cases) has little benefit for gaming than an i5, simply due to the fact games cannot harness the full potential of an i7. Other things too but thats the gist of it. i7's (i have one, and Im a gamer) are great if you're doing video editing or picture editing because you can use that power to render faster. i7 also gives a slight system speed boost. stay away from i3 unless you're doing email or basic apps.

motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... this is 200 dollars. I use this mobo in my computer and its AWESOME. I am a gamer, so this tailors to my needs. once again, idk what your background is. Dont cheap out on the motherboard, it will be a terrible decision in the mid term-long run. Anything asus is generally good. There is also a mATX varient of that MOBO called the Gene. Equal in quality.

bottom line: you seem like you're on a bit of a budget-go i5, replace your HDD, get a new MOBO
m
0
l
January 19, 2014 9:48:16 PM

What i'm looking for is being able to render videos while playing games on medium to high settings with good fps. But yeah. And hmmmm yeah i think i might take your advice on the motherboard.
m
0
l
January 19, 2014 9:51:43 PM

Well an i5 4570/k and that 780 will TEAR up son. and yeah its a quality motherboard, you wont be disappointed
m
0
l
January 19, 2014 10:01:06 PM

ferwindjacks said:
Processor: I dont know your background. Whether you're a gamer, father, video editor, whatever. I7 (in most cases) has little benefit for gaming than an i5, simply due to the fact games cannot harness the full potential of an i7. Other things too but thats the gist of it. i7's (i have one, and Im a gamer) are great if you're doing video editing or picture editing because you can use that power to render faster. i7 also gives a slight system speed boost. stay away from i3 unless you're doing email or basic apps.

motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... this is 200 dollars. I use this mobo in my computer and its AWESOME. I am a gamer, so this tailors to my needs. once again, idk what your background is. Dont cheap out on the motherboard, it will be a terrible decision in the mid term-long run. Anything asus is generally good. There is also a mATX varient of that MOBO called the Gene. Equal in quality.

bottom line: you seem like you're on a bit of a budget-go i5, replace your HDD, get a new MOBO


would you still recommend that motherboard even though i'm not looking for SLI or Crossfire?
m
0
l
January 19, 2014 10:07:42 PM

Yes, but it depends on your case as well. You have a midtower, which can fit ATX, but as a first build it seems tight. My case was huge for my 1st build and I loved the room I had to work with. Idk just my opinion, you can get the mATX version of that mobo if you wanted, its the same price. I still recommend any asus mobo. I dont use SLI either.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
January 19, 2014 10:14:36 PM

if you're on a budget, don't go for such an expensive motherboard, it won't give you any performance gains whatsoever for one thing, solidarity before luxury.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
January 19, 2014 10:17:38 PM

To all the people above saying i5 over i7, you need to read what the OP said. They specifically said they will be video editing/rendering, so i totally agree on going for an i7.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2EeSH
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2EeSH/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2EeSH/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($294.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Asus H87M-E Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($134.95 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($88.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($499.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($94.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1373.87
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-20 01:17 EST-0500)
m
0
l
January 20, 2014 7:24:08 AM

camohanna said:
To all the people above saying i5 over i7, you need to read what the OP said. They specifically said they will be video editing/rendering, so i totally agree on going for an i7.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2EeSH
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2EeSH/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2EeSH/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($294.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Asus H87M-E Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($134.95 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($88.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($499.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($94.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1373.87
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-20 01:17 EST-0500)


If i said that my max has changed to $1500 then what changes would you make to that?
m
0
l

Best solution

January 20, 2014 10:21:52 AM

If I were you, and like I always say-everyone is biased on manufacturers someway or another, I would switch from Gigabyte to EVGA/ASUS for your GPU. Never liked any Gigabyte product I've bought (mobo and gpu), the software is in broken english, manufacturer warranty was a hassle, and software isnt as good as, say, EVGA.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
I dont like WD as a HDD but thats just me, I've had bad experiences with them too. But the two top HDD companies (not talking SSDs) are Seagate and WD so either is good, however I prefer Seagate.

Also bear in mind, your MOBO didn't receive the best of reviews. I looked them over and I agree with a lot of guys, I'm disappointed in ASUS that they're sending out MOBOs with outdated BIOS. While I love ASUS, updating the BIOS was a hassle. No easy way to do it, You have to toss the updated file on a USB and then go into your BIOS, and boot up that flashdrive to run the file and then it will update (something along those lines, if you ever need help I can go over it again). If you dont do this, your computer will has BSOD's. I used to get them a lot, but now I don't since updating.

Regards.
Share
a b 4 Gaming
January 21, 2014 12:21:35 AM

downthehollow said:
camohanna said:
To all the people above saying i5 over i7, you need to read what the OP said. They specifically said they will be video editing/rendering, so i totally agree on going for an i7.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2EeSH
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2EeSH/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2EeSH/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($294.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Asus H87M-E Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($134.95 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($88.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($499.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($94.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1373.87
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-20 01:17 EST-0500)


If i said that my max has changed to $1500 then what changes would you make to that?


Go overclockable and get 250gb ssd.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2EUBJ
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2EUBJ/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2EUBJ/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($324.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($134.95 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($169.98 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($505.91 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($94.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1520.77
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-21 03:21 EST-0500)
m
0
l
January 21, 2014 9:43:51 AM

ferwindjacks said:
If I were you, and like I always say-everyone is biased on manufacturers someway or another, I would switch from Gigabyte to EVGA/ASUS for your GPU. Never liked any Gigabyte product I've bought (mobo and gpu), the software is in broken english, manufacturer warranty was a hassle, and software isnt as good as, say, EVGA.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
I dont like WD as a HDD but thats just me, I've had bad experiences with them too. But the two top HDD companies (not talking SSDs) are Seagate and WD so either is good, however I prefer Seagate.

Also bear in mind, your MOBO didn't receive the best of reviews. I looked them over and I agree with a lot of guys, I'm disappointed in ASUS that they're sending out MOBOs with outdated BIOS. While I love ASUS, updating the BIOS was a hassle. No easy way to do it, You have to toss the updated file on a USB and then go into your BIOS, and boot up that flashdrive to run the file and then it will update (something along those lines, if you ever need help I can go over it again). If you dont do this, your computer will has BSOD's. I used to get them a lot, but now I don't since updating.

Regards.


what would you recommend in terms of motherboards then? And if i did get that Asus motherboard then let me get this straight. I would have to get a software update on a usb drive and then plug it into the pc and it will fix the problem? Well that doesn't sound too bad as long as the problem is fixed.
m
0
l
January 21, 2014 9:50:01 AM

camohanna said:
downthehollow said:
camohanna said:
To all the people above saying i5 over i7, you need to read what the OP said. They specifically said they will be video editing/rendering, so i totally agree on going for an i7.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2EeSH
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2EeSH/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2EeSH/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($294.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Asus H87M-E Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($134.95 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($88.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($499.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($94.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1373.87
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-20 01:17 EST-0500)


If i said that my max has changed to $1500 then what changes would you make to that?


Go overclockable and get 250gb ssd.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2EUBJ
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2EUBJ/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2EUBJ/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($324.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($134.95 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($169.98 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($505.91 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($94.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1520.77
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-21 03:21 EST-0500)


Do you have anything reply to ferwindjacks and his opinions on the certain companies?
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
January 21, 2014 10:23:31 AM

I'll offer a somewhat different opinion, my best experiences were with Asus and MSI, and I've never handled an EVGA card before

Asus overlaps between us 2, so if you can find an Asus GTX 780 near the price of the Gigabyte one, go for it.

And flashing/updating motherboard BIOS is never as easy as it seems, a lot can go wrong and if something happens then you'll end up with a dead motherboard. I'd recommend Asrock for the motherboard, they make good mid ranged boards for budget conscious consumers
m
0
l
January 21, 2014 11:49:22 AM

Motherboard I'd go Asus all the way, thats just me. If you're going by whats the most popular/biggest companies, it goes Asus on top, Gigabyte 2nd. And to update ASUS BIOS you'd need to toss the newest BIOS update file on a flash, go to your BIOS, pretty sure there is an option to update, then select the flash and boot that. It gets a bit more in depth than that, so if you do go for a newer ASUS MOBO then tell me and I'll post a complete walkthrough.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
January 21, 2014 12:52:57 PM

downthehollow said:
camohanna said:
downthehollow said:
camohanna said:
To all the people above saying i5 over i7, you need to read what the OP said. They specifically said they will be video editing/rendering, so i totally agree on going for an i7.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2EeSH
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2EeSH/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2EeSH/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($294.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Asus H87M-E Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($134.95 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($88.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($499.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($94.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1373.87
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-20 01:17 EST-0500)


If i said that my max has changed to $1500 then what changes would you make to that?


Go overclockable and get 250gb ssd.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2EUBJ
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2EUBJ/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2EUBJ/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($324.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($134.95 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($169.98 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($505.91 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($94.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1520.77
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-21 03:21 EST-0500)


Do you have anything reply to ferwindjacks and his opinions on the certain companies?


I personally dont limit myself to particular manufacturers, so long as they make reliable products. I have had multiple gigabyte motherboards and graphics cards and never had any problems.
m
0
l
!