I3 3220 for gaming?

bigjay420

Honorable
Jun 6, 2013
so i have a phenom ii 965 oc to 4 ghz and im noticing thats its starting to get pretty dated i play world of warcraft and i cant stretch my pockets anymore than the i3s.so will this i3 run games like mabey planetside 2 farcry and things like that.be honest because everyone says my phenom couldnt run farcry 3 and it runs it fine so will this i3 run it?

Also im running a radeon 5870 2gb
corsair hx 850
corsair h100i.
Umm also my budget isnt too big im thinking 250$ im looking at i3 4130 now and i also might beable to go higher if i can sell my mobo and cpu.

Solution
I honestly think your phenom still has enough nads to play newer games.
The i3 wouldn't help you as much as you would think. An i5 would be a pretty nice jump but not anything you can't live without.

That 5870, though, is starting to look dated. I would say grab a new gpu before CPU.

And yes, the phenom 965 will run far cry 3 with flying colors. So will the i3. So will any modern CPU that has more than 3 ghz and 4 threads. Your phenom is a good cpu, but this may be its last generation where it can still handle stuff maxxed out. But the i3 still only has about 2 gens before it starts getting dated.
horse
Honestly, have you looked into FM2+ Kaveri Apus? They can be overclocked to 4.7 ghz. And FM2+ will last at least a few more gens...

Alex Fry

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014
I honestly think your phenom still has enough nads to play newer games.
The i3 wouldn't help you as much as you would think. An i5 would be a pretty nice jump but not anything you can't live without.

That 5870, though, is starting to look dated. I would say grab a new gpu before CPU.

And yes, the phenom 965 will run far cry 3 with flying colors. So will the i3. So will any modern CPU that has more than 3 ghz and 4 threads. Your phenom is a good cpu, but this may be its last generation where it can still handle stuff maxxed out. But the i3 still only has about 2 gens before it starts getting dated.
horse
Honestly, have you looked into FM2+ Kaveri Apus? They can be overclocked to 4.7 ghz. And FM2+ will last at least a few more gens.

I could suggest a better cpu upgrade route if you feel like posting a budget :)

Solution