Solved

New build: MoBo, CPU, GPU and OS for about 700 EUR (Berlin, Germany)

Hi!
This is the first time I'm building a PC. Previously I was buying prebuilt systems, my current PC is OC-ed Dell Studio XPS 7100 (with new case, PSU, and cooling). I will need an advice on everything: whether now is a good time to upgrade my system, whether I have chosen the right approach to upgrading my system, and whether my chosen parts are cost-effective.

1. What do I currently own?
Parts in red are the ones I want to change now, parts in orange are the ones I want to change later, parts in green are the ones I want to keep.

MoBo: Dell Studio XPS 7100 (don't know the exact mobo name).
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T (2.80GHz, 512kx6) with CoolerMaster HyperTX 3 Evo.
GPU: 1GB ATI Radeon HD 5870 (Vision Black) with Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme 5870.
Audio: Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Music.
RAM: 4*2GB 1333MHz DDR3 (noname).
HDD: 2*1.5TB 7200rpm (noname).
PSU: Corsair CMPSU-650TXV2EU (650 W).
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 Gunmetal.
Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster B2230H (22 inch, 1920x1080, 60Hz).
OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.


2. What do I want?
I want to play all currently released games (Crysis 3, Witcher 2 etc) at ultra settings, 1080p (single monitor, no 3D) and 60FPS without overclocking.
I want to play all upcoming games at ultra settings, 1080p and 60FPS with overclocking for as long as XB1 and PS4 are out.
I don't want to upgrade again until the next gen of consoles is out. Worst case scenario, I might buy another GPU a few years from now and go SLI, but I'd really rather avoid this.

Since I'm not a pro, I want well known and reviewed parts from companies that have good quality control and good customer service.


3. What am I buying? (UPDATED)
MoBo: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 ASUS Z87-A (thanks whitecat!)
http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/Asus-Z87-A--C2--Intel-Z87-So-1150-Dual-Channel-DDR3-ATX-Retail_927597.html

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K
http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/Intel-Core-i5-4670K-4x-3-40GHz-So-1150-TRAY_856453.html

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 HIS Radeon R9 280X IceQ X2 Turbo
http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/3072MB-HIS-Radeon-R9-280X-IceQ-X2-Turbo-Aktiv-PCIe-3-0-x16--Retail-_936552.html

OS: Windows 8 64-bit.
http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/Microsoft-Windows-8-64-Bit-Englisch-OEM-SB_819009.html


4. What are my questions?
1. Would there be a noticeable benefit to gaming if I bought Win 8 Pro instead of regular?
2. Is this a good time to buy MoBo, CPU and GPU? I could wait a few months if some new technology is underway.
3. Would there be any noticeable difference in gaming if I spent more money on MoBo? I was thinking about Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H and Asus Maximus VI Hero.
4. I intend to keep using CoolerMaster HyperTX 3 Evo until I decide to overclock my CPU, am I correct in this?
5. I intend to keep using my old RAM for another year unless you guys tell me that fast RAM is necessary for gaming.
6. I don't intend to invest in SSD because I don't care that much about loading times and SSD has no other benefit for gaming, am I correct in this?

I will appreciate any comment because I'm a real noob.
Thank you very much for your time.
13 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about build mobo cpu gpu 700 eur berlin germany
  1. First off i will say you can use this website http://de.pcpartpicker.com/ as it will give you the best prices across germany but only from trusted websites. Secondly you said you would like to play Crysis 3 on ultra settings, a GTX 770 cannot do this. Crysis 3 is one of the most demanding games out there and only the very best graphics cards can play it on ultra at 60fps unless you look at SLI or Crossfire. It will still run the game very well though so unless you have the budget for a 780ti or an R9 290x i would personally stick with the 770.
    You MOBO and CPU choice are fine, if you want to look at some other options the AsRock Extreme6 and the Asus z87-pro are both very good choices at a similar price range.
    Your cpu cooler is fine assuming you are not going to overclock for a while.
    your RAM isn't the best but if you intend to upgrade in the future you could stick with it for a while.
    Whether you go with AMD or Nvidia is more of a personal choice, like whcih features you prefer and whether you are ok with the AMD card running hotter than the Nvidia.
    Im not aware of any benefit as far as gaming of getting Win8 Pro.
    I think i covered most of what you asked, point out anything i missed.
    Thanks
  2. GTX 770 is 2.58x faster than 5870 .

    http://de.pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/
    CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (€206.85 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Motherboard: Asus Z87-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (€129.56 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card (€304.33 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Total: €640.74
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-20 13:18 CET+0100)
  3. Stu 95 said:
    First off i will say you can use this website http://de.pcpartpicker.com/ as it will give you the best prices across germany but only from trusted websites. Secondly you said you would like to play Crysis 3 on ultra settings, a GTX 770 cannot do this. Crysis 3 is one of the most demanding games out there and only the very best graphics cards can play it on ultra at 60fps unless you look at SLI or Crossfire. It will still run the game very well though so unless you have the budget for a 780ti or an R9 290x i would personally stick with the 770.
    You MOBO and CPU choice are fine, if you want to look at some other options the AsRock Extreme6 and the Asus z87-pro are both very good choices at a similar price range.
    Your cpu cooler is fine assuming you are not going to overclock for a while.
    your RAM isn't the best but if you intend to upgrade in the future you could stick with it for a while.
    Whether you go with AMD or Nvidia is more of a personal choice, like whcih features you prefer and whether you are ok with the AMD card running hotter than the Nvidia.
    Im not aware of any benefit as far as gaming of getting Win8 Pro.
    I think i covered most of what you asked, point out anything i missed.
    Thanks


    Thank you very much!
    That answers most of my questions.
    Could you also comment on whether 4GB version of 770 would be more cost effective than 2GB, and whether Gigabyte is the good choice for aftermarket 770?

    Thanks again!
    Jethead
  4. Jethead said:
    Stu 95 said:
    First off i will say you can use this website http://de.pcpartpicker.com/ as it will give you the best prices across germany but only from trusted websites. Secondly you said you would like to play Crysis 3 on ultra settings, a GTX 770 cannot do this. Crysis 3 is one of the most demanding games out there and only the very best graphics cards can play it on ultra at 60fps unless you look at SLI or Crossfire. It will still run the game very well though so unless you have the budget for a 780ti or an R9 290x i would personally stick with the 770.
    You MOBO and CPU choice are fine, if you want to look at some other options the AsRock Extreme6 and the Asus z87-pro are both very good choices at a similar price range.
    Your cpu cooler is fine assuming you are not going to overclock for a while.
    your RAM isn't the best but if you intend to upgrade in the future you could stick with it for a while.
    Whether you go with AMD or Nvidia is more of a personal choice, like whcih features you prefer and whether you are ok with the AMD card running hotter than the Nvidia.
    Im not aware of any benefit as far as gaming of getting Win8 Pro.
    I think i covered most of what you asked, point out anything i missed.
    Thanks


    Thank you very much!
    That answers most of my questions.
    Could you also comment on whether 4GB version of 770 would be more cost effective than 2GB, and whether Gigabyte is the good choice for aftermarket 770?

    Thanks again!
    Jethead


    When the processor and RAM are fast and Full HD is the resolution you play on , 2GB VRAM is enough .If you have the money , get the 4 GB version.
    http://de.pcpartpicker.com/part/zotac-video-card-zt7030410p
  5. Thanks for the reply, whitecat!

    I can see you recommend Asus for 2GB 770 and Zotac for 4GB 770 instead of Gigabyte (which costs the same).
    Is it because they have better performance, better customer support, better cooling?

    The motherboard you recommended Asus Z87-A ATX is slightly more expensive than AsRock Extreme4. Would it offer noticeably better performance? Better customer support?

    Sorry, I really know nothing about all this and I need to understand why a part is recommended. :)

    Thanks again!
    Jethead
  6. Best answer
    Jethead said:
    Thanks for the reply, whitecat!

    I can see you recommend Asus for 2GB 770 and Zotac for 4GB 770 instead of Gigabyte (which costs the same).
    Is it because they have better performance, better customer support, better cooling?

    The motherboard you recommended Asus Z87-A ATX is slightly more expensive than AsRock Extreme4. Would it offer noticeably better performance? Better customer support?

    Sorry, I really know nothing about all this and I need to understand why a part is recommended. :)

    Thanks again!
    Jethead


    Maybe Asus is the best motherboard manufacturer .Their video cards have great cooling - Direct Cool II technology .For videocards , MSI Twin Frozr are good . If you prefer Gigabyte , get Gigabyte instead of Zotac . My uncle has GTX 550 ti for 3 years and is very pleased. i prefer MSI and Asus for video card.
  7. I have no personal preference yet because I'm a noob. :)

    MSI Twinfrozr and ASUS DirectCU II cost basically the same as Gigabyte Windforce...
    Which card would be best for overclocking?

    Thanks!
    Jethead
  8. Jethead said:
    I have no personal preference yet because I'm a noob. :)

    MSI Twinfrozr and ASUS DirectCU II cost basically the same as Gigabyte Windforce...
    Which card would be best for overclocking?

    Thanks!
    Jethead


    for motherboards - Asus
    for video cards - MSI Twin Frozr or Asus Direct Cool II
    see this
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-n770tf2gd5oc
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121770
  9. Windows7 64 is still alive - Home Premium version , Pro
  10. Thank you very much, whitecat!

    In that case I think I'll go with ASUS Z87-A and MSI N770 Twinfrozr (because it's a few EUR cheaper than ASUS DirectCU II).

    [Edit] I don't have the installation disk for Win7 (it was preinstalled on my Dell). I'd rather buy Win 8 now because of longer support (I'm hoping to keep the motherboard I buy now for many years).

    Jethead
  11. Jethead said:
    Thank you very much, whitecat!

    In that case I think I'll go with ASUS Z87-A and MSI N770 Twinfrozr (because it's a few EUR cheaper than ASUS DirectCU II).

    Jethead


    Great !
  12. i wouldn't bother with windows 8 ive running it right now i persona believe its more aimed at touch screen users despite what Microsoft have said
  13. Thank you for all the answers, guys!

    I have found a really cheap HIS Radeon R9 280X IceQ X2 Turbo so I'll go with that (I prefer ATI anyway)
    http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/3072MB-HIS-Radeon-R9-280X-IceQ-X2-Turbo-Aktiv-PCIe-3-0-x16--Retail-_936552.html

    Thanks again!
    Jethead
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows 8 Processors Intel CPUs Gigabyte AMD Hardware Graphics Cards Motherboards Nvidia Operating Systems GPUs ATI Systems New Build ASrock