Solved

R9 290 with i5 760, bottleneck?

Tags:
  • Bottleneck
  • Intel i5
  • Components
Last response: in Components
January 20, 2014 12:13:54 PM

Yup, I guess all of You are already fed up with those 'bottleneck' questions... But well, I don't have much of a choice and I have to ask :) .
Anyway, at the moment I have the good old i5 760 without any OC, and slowly I'am preparing to buy this R9 290. But I am simply wondering how big of an bottleneck will I get? Unfortunately I won't be able change my CPU for quite some time although I am thinking about overclocking the CPU after I got some proper cooling system ;d.

More about : 290 760 bottleneck

January 20, 2014 12:20:41 PM

yes there will be.you also need a good psu to run this card do you have one?
m
l
January 20, 2014 12:23:36 PM

there will be bottleneck in heavily threaded games such as arma, but in bf3 or call of duty or something where it is more GPU reliant. i would say that your are fine and will experience little bottlenecking.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

January 20, 2014 12:30:31 PM

yeah it will be a bit of a bottleneck. what resolution do you plan to play at? if 1080p you will see a bottleneck, if you were playing at 1440p or higher resolution the load is shifted more to the gpu and you see less of a bottleneck. Some games are more cpu dependent than others so it also depends on the game. You should still see pretty good performance, especially if you do overclock.
http://www.techbuyersguru.com/i5CPUshootout.php
^ here is an interesting article i found comparing your cpu to current gen i5, but keep in mid that bench was done with a 7870 so its pretty much gpu bottlenecked. You might find you could put in a r9 280x and get the same performance as a 290 due to your cpu, again dependent on the game and resolution.

One thing to keep in mind if your into bf4, is the mantle patch should alleviate any cpu bottleneck as it takes strain off the cpu.
If it were my rig i would just by a decent budget cooler like a hyper 212+ and OC the crap out of that cpu.
January 20, 2014 12:37:53 PM

At the moment I have an 750W Chieftec. I am playing with 1080p resolution. I've got to admit that I was thinking about 280x, but I kinda need to buy a GPU that is going to last a bit longer. Just another quick question. Before I'm going to OC my CPU I need to think about a good cooler, and I don't really know which one to choose :D . Actually, part of them I'm not even sure if they're going to fit into my case ( Cooler Master Elite 330 ), and I was thinking about Noctua NH-C14 or Noctua NH-U12P SE2. Although I have completely no idea if that's a good choice.
m
l
January 21, 2014 1:39:06 AM

Danmcrea said:
At the moment I have an 750W Chieftec. I am playing with 1080p resolution. I've got to admit that I was thinking about 280x, but I kinda need to buy a GPU that is going to last a bit longer. Just another quick question. Before I'm going to OC my CPU I need to think about a good cooler, and I don't really know which one to choose :D . Actually, part of them I'm not even sure if they're going to fit into my case ( Cooler Master Elite 330 ), and I was thinking about Noctua NH-C14 or Noctua NH-U12P SE2. Although I have completely no idea if that's a good choice.

a cooler master hyper 212 evo is enough to dissipate the heat of any highly clocked quad core cpu of that generation. you can spend twice as much on another cooler or even more on water cooling, but may only get another 1% increase from the cpu. More likely that the cpu die or motherboard will be a limitation.
m
l
January 24, 2014 7:06:12 AM

Allright thanks for your help, I guess I'm gonna go with the Hyper 212 as soon as I will be able to :) .
m
l