Solved

Is it safe to use custom PSU cables On VERY HIGH wattage PSU

I saw these red PSU cables on NZXT's website. I wanted to buy them and attach them to a non-NZXT PSU. I checked Corsair's website and they have different cables for different Power Supplies depending on Wattage. Do these NZXT cables only work at certain Wattages (I'm aiming for EVGA 1k Watt)? I don't want to fry my system for red cables lol.
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about safe custom psu cables high wattage psu
  1. unless you know that the pinouts are the same at the psu end, then don't do it. Never mind the wire gauge issue.
  2. 13thmonkey said:
    unless you know that the pinouts are the same at the psu end, then don't do it. Never mind the wire gauge issue.


    Some other guy on Tom's said that the PSU end is standardized
  3. Techdude000 said:
    13thmonkey said:
    unless you know that the pinouts are the same at the psu end, then don't do it. Never mind the wire gauge issue.


    Some other guy on Tom's said that the PSU end is standardized


    Do you have a link to that post?

    There is no industry standard for PSU modular interface connectors.
  4. ko888 said:
    Techdude000 said:
    13thmonkey said:
    unless you know that the pinouts are the same at the psu end, then don't do it. Never mind the wire gauge issue.


    Some other guy on Tom's said that the PSU end is standardized


    Do you have a link to that post?

    There is no industry standard for PSU modular interface connectors.


    No, he just told me Modular connectors are part of the ATX standard
  5. Techdude000 said:
    No, he just told me Modular connectors are part of the ATX standard


    I just looked through the ATX12V v2.3 and v2.4 Power Supply Design Guides and there's no mention of anything about modular interface connectors. Whomever told you that it's part of the ATX standard is lying.
  6. ko888 said:
    Techdude000 said:
    No, he just told me Modular connectors are part of the ATX standard


    I just looked through the ATX12V v2.3 and v2.4 Power Supply Design Guides and there's no mention of anything about modular interface connectors. Whomever told you that it's part of the ATX standard is lying.


    Thank you for clarifying this! Exactly the help I needed. I just noticed though that the cables are actually Extensions and not cables that plug into the PSU themselves. Do you think the current/wattage will be a problem with these questionable extensions for which no data exists? Or does one set of extensions handle all Wattages/Amperages? You really know your stuff!
  7. Best answer
    Thank you for clarifying this! Exactly the help I needed. I just noticed though that the cables are actually Extensions and not cables that plug into the PSU themselves. Do you think the current/wattage will be a problem with these questionable extensions for which no data exists? Or does one set of extensions handle all Wattages/Amperages? You really know your stuff!

    Extensions are something completely different because they don't plug into a PSU's modular interface panel. They plug into the end of existing cables to increase their length so they only rely on the existing device connectors standard.

    If the main ATX 24-pin, EPS/ATX12V CPU and PCI-E extension cables use at least 16AWG wires, if your aim is for a EVGA 1KW, then you don't have anything to worry about. The other peripheral cables should be using at least 18AWG wires.
  8. yep, no such thing as common modular cables...
Ask a new question

Read More

NZXT Cable Components Power Supplies