Solved

Used Dell Optiplex 790 (Intel Core i5-2400) for $260. Is this a good deal?

So, this guy is selling a Dell Optiplex 790 for $260. I am wondering if this is a good buy.

It is a slim tower, so I will have to buy a new case, power supply, heatsink, etc. to upgrade.

Here's the specs:
Intel Core i5-2400 3.1 Ghz
4GB RAM DDR3
Windows Professional 7 64 Bit
250 GB Hard Drive

Keyboard and mouse included.
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about dell optiplex 790 intel core 2400 260 good deal
  1. What is the proposed use for this?
  2. USAFRet said:
    What is the proposed use for this?


    Moderate gaming and homework computer. (ie. Assassin's Creed IV and mathematica)

    Since it is a slim tower, I want to move the internal components to a new mid-tower case and install a decent video card.

    Basically, I have to buy new case, PSU, heatsink, etc. (and video card, of cause)
  3. TubeExperience said:
    USAFRet said:
    What is the proposed use for this?


    Moderate gaming and homework computer. (ie. Assassin's Creed IV and mathematica)

    Since it is a slim tower, I want to move the internal components to a new mid-tower case and install a decent video card.

    Basically, I have to buy new case, PSU, heatsink, etc. (and video card, of cause)


    Case, PSU, GPU, heatsink, larger HDD....you're just shy of just making a whole other PC.
  4. USAFRet said:

    Case, PSU, GPU, heatsink, larger HDD....you're just shy of just making a whole other PC.


    Basically, yes.
  5. Best answer
    TubeExperience said:
    USAFRet said:

    Case, PSU, GPU, heatsink, larger HDD....you're just shy of just making a whole other PC.


    Basically, yes.


    So $260 for the Dell, and then replace almost all of it. To end up with a PC centered around a several generation old i5-2400...
    For the same amount of eventual money, you could probably make a stronger from all new parts.
Ask a new question

Read More

Core Optiplex Intel i5 Deal Dell Systems