200$ cpu upgrade need help.

bigjay420

Honorable
Jun 6, 2013
so the i5 3570k is on sale 160$ i was originaly thinking about the i3 4340 i want it to play games my budget is 200$ and i want something that can play them all be honest if the i3 can play them all i dont want to waste my money as im very tight on money what would be the best upgrade?

Solution
What CPU and motherboard are you currently using? Depending on what you have, you may be better off with a better GPU. The 5870 is close to HD 7850 performance, iirc.
It really depends what games you are playing. Obviously the i3 4340 is a locked multiplier, so no full overclocking like the 3570k. I've got the 4330, a step below what you are looking at, and I can play most games such as Crysis 3, civ 5 and other similar demanding titles with a GTX 660 video card, on at least medium-high, running over 40fps at 1080p. With a stronger GPU, the i3 won't let you down, but the quad core, especially if you overclock it a bit, will still be better in the long run as games become more threaded etc.

logainofhades

Titan
To be honest, an i3 I don't think would be that huge of an upgrade over your current CPU vs what an i5 would get you. Despite its age, your GPU really isn't all that bad.

Combined-Average-Gaming-Performance.png