Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

AMD vs Intel.. NOT FOR GAMING. General use computer.

Last response: in CPUs
Share
January 21, 2014 1:03:21 AM

Hey guys, recently I have been asked to build a computer for someone, as he has been using one that is 8 years old. He has told me he doesn't care what is in it, as he doesn't know anything about computers basically.

Now, all of my experience building computers has been generally with gaming rigs (mine, my brothers etc.), but not with something that is basically just going to be used for general browsing, replying to emails, and occasionally youtube.

So I get to the question; What type of CPU is better for general use?

Any information/opinions would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Patto21124 :) 
a c 97 à CPUs
a b À AMD
January 21, 2014 1:07:19 AM

What's the budget? Maybe you could look at one of the AMD APUs they are a bit stronger in the integrated graphics than the i3s I know not important but worth it if he wants to try a basic game and for video playback
m
0
l
January 21, 2014 1:14:11 AM

He said basically he would spend up to 1000, but in my opinion 1000 isn't necessary. Like, he was fairly happy with his current computer, and it was terrible. He wants something that is reasonably fast, and that he can rely on (he has a business).

m
0
l
Related resources
a c 93 à CPUs
January 21, 2014 1:22:56 AM

It will depend.
What will he be using it for, any heavy application?
If he is going with the general use, then a lower-middle-end CPU can be more than enough.
Something like an i3.
$1000 sounds a little to much for such build.
m
0
l
January 21, 2014 1:36:30 AM

Whatever he chooses, I would recommend an SSD. It would make everything snappier. It's very nice having documents etc opening almost instantly.
m
0
l
January 21, 2014 3:59:28 AM

Patto21124 said:
He said basically he would spend up to 1000, but in my opinion 1000 isn't necessary.


vmN said:
It will depend.
What will he be using it for, any heavy application?
If he is going with the general use, then a lower-middle-end CPU can be more than enough.
Something like an i3.
$1000 sounds a little to much for such build.


Nope, basically no heavy application at all. I doubt he'll use much more than just the internet browser.
So maybe something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-Intel-Micro-Motherboards...

Paired with this:
http://www.amazon.com/Intel-i3-3240-Dual-Core-Processor...
?




m
0
l
January 21, 2014 4:00:23 AM

Razor88 said:
Whatever he chooses, I would recommend an SSD. It would make everything snappier. It's very nice having documents etc opening almost instantly.


How much of a difference do you notice apart from start up time? (Never had a SSD)
m
0
l
a c 93 à CPUs
January 21, 2014 4:03:20 AM

Patto21124 said:
Razor88 said:
Whatever he chooses, I would recommend an SSD. It would make everything snappier. It's very nice having documents etc opening almost instantly.


How much of a difference do you notice apart from start up time? (Never had a SSD)


you will boot-up-time will go from several minutes to seconds.
You will notice it when you open programs(especially heavier programs).
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 97 à CPUs
a b À AMD
January 21, 2014 5:45:14 AM

+1 for haswell and SSD.

have a look at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... is the one i'd go for.
Share
January 29, 2014 11:51:09 PM

Thanks first off, and secondly, would you guys have any recommendations for the mobo? I have been looking at quite a few, but some seem to be unreliable accodring to some reviews, or just have features that aren't really needed.
m
0
l
!