Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

New PC - Any ideas or changes?

Last response: in Components
Share
January 21, 2014 2:36:21 PM

Hi, I'm planning on ordering a new PC within the next week, not sure i want to build it myself so I'm going to order it pre-made. my idea so far is:
Case - CoolerMaster Elite 430 Mid-Tower Gaming Case with Side Panel Window
CPU - Intel(R) Core™ i5-4670K Quad Core 3.40 GHz 6MB Cache LGA1150 + HD Graphics ***Overclockable XXX***
Fan - Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling system w/ 120mm Radiator (For Slient and High Performance -- AKASA Silent Fans, 1200rpm w/ Sleeve Ball Bearing and LED light in Push-Pull Airflow ***Overclockable XXX***
RAM - 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3/1600mhz Dual Channel Memory (Kingston HyperX Blu w/Heat Spreader)
HDD - 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s Cache 7200RPM Hard Drive (Single Hard Drive)
Power Supply - 600 Watts Power Supplies [+9] (Corsair 600 Watts CX600 Gaming Power Supply, 80+)
GPU - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti 2GB Boost Edition 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card
Windows 7

Any thoughts, suggestions on improvements - at the moment I'm look around the £800 mark but can stretch to £900

Thanks

More about : ideas

Best solution

January 21, 2014 2:53:48 PM

I assume you're going with a beastly CPU and mediocre GPU so you can SLI in the future without any issues? Not a bad plan, but for that I would recommend getting a GPU with more than 2GB of VRAM, you're gonna run into issues with that later if you don't. You can easily shave off some cost from that 4670, that's still crazy overkill, heck even my 6350 doesn't impose a bottleneck on my 770. I don't know about price differences where you are, but the 3570K is only a few bucks less than the 4670K here in the USA, it could save you a ton where you are, but I don't know, I just know you're spending a heck of a lot on CPU when you really should get a better GPU, but that's just my opinion from hours and hours of research.

Also, for SLI, you will want a larger Power Supply. If you're not going to SLI in the future I would strongly recommend swapping out that CPU for something cheaper, enough to get at least a GTX 670 or R9 270/270X.
Share
January 21, 2014 3:03:25 PM

apcs13 said:
I assume you're going with a beastly CPU and mediocre GPU so you can SLI in the future without any issues? Not a bad plan, but for that I would recommend getting a GPU with more than 2GB of VRAM, you're gonna run into issues with that later if you don't. You can easily shave off some cost from that 4670, that's still crazy overkill, heck even my 6350 doesn't impose a bottleneck on my 770. I don't know about price differences where you are, but the 3570K is only a few bucks less than the 4670K here in the USA, it could save you a ton where you are, but I don't know, I just know you're spending a heck of a lot on CPU when you really should get a better GPU, but that's just my opinion from hours and hours of research.

Also, for SLI, you will want a larger Power Supply. If you're not going to SLI in the future I would strongly recommend swapping out that CPU for something cheaper, enough to get at least a GTX 670 or R9 270/270X.


ahh wow, thats really useful, so your saying i should up my graphics card ? my brother has recently bought a pretty much identical computer to this and has been getting some pretty low FPS on games like arma2/3 which is surprising as so many people are saying its CPU intensive, he also experienced some freezing problems guessing this is due to the GPU though. I was planning to potentially upgrade my GPU in the future to possibly a GTX 780 ect
m
0
l
Related resources
January 21, 2014 3:04:03 PM

If gaming is the main use of your computer then you want to go with a better video card , at least a GTX 760. The Corsair PSU CX model is a low end model so getting a HX , TX or GS model would be better.
m
0
l
January 21, 2014 3:13:53 PM

cheers guys this is really helpful.. just one quick question, I'm guessing that SLI means upgrade (swap out part) not quite sure. But all really useful info. One final question when you said problems i may run in to what problems would i expect ?

Thanks
m
0
l
January 21, 2014 3:31:56 PM

curryninja1 said:
cheers guys this is really helpful.. just one quick question, I'm guessing that SLI means upgrade (swap out part) not quite sure. But all really useful info

Thanks


No, SLI is the terminology used by Nvidia that basically enables you to run two Nvidia GPU's together in one system, potentially doubling your graphics performance. This sounds like an amazing feature, and it is, however it is always recommended to have one more powerful GPU versus two weaker ones in SLI because SLI has issues such as microstuttering, not being supported in all applications/games, and a few more. If you start with one more powerful GPU versus a SLI setup, you forego all of these potential issues and have the option to run another powerful card in SLI a few years later to boost performance. Crossfire is the same as SLI, but it is for AMD GPU's.

If your main purpose is gaming, you definitely want a more powerful GPU than a 650 Ti Boost. It's not an awful component, but it is on its way out in terms of gaming, and is one of the lowest tier gaming graphics cards that Nvidia makes. If you are planning on getting a 780 later, good for you, but honestly with a 650 Ti Boost in there with the rest of your parts, you are going to be severely limited the whole entire time until you get that more powerful GPU in your system.

Also, as inzone mentioned, you will need a higher wattage power supply to run a 780 (I would get a quality 700W power supply just in case, you most likely won't use all of that but better safe than sorry), and make sure to research into what is a good quality power supply for you. Corsair makes excellent products, including power supplies, but the CX series is not as well built as their others, hence the lower cost, and while it will still work perfectly fine, it's worth getting a higher quality one for such an expensive system. Personally, I have a Corsair TX 650 Power Supply 80+ Bronze in my own system, which houses (for now) a single GTX 770, an FX-6350, a disc drive, 8GB of RAM, and a single 7200 RPM Caviar Blue HDD. Something to keep in mind: higher wattage does not always mean better, research good brands like Corsair and SeaSonic etc., and buy a 80+ Bronze or better power supply from your choice brand that has good reviews.
m
0
l
January 21, 2014 3:37:26 PM

Amazing thanks a lot.
changing the set up as we speak :) 
m
0
l
January 21, 2014 3:51:22 PM

curryninja1 said:
Amazing thanks a lot.
changing the set up as we speak :) 


No problem! Check your inbox! :) 
m
0
l
!